non trad student, new to this forum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rafael1976

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi All!
just joined this forum, after reading everyone else's blogs for months!

Here's the scoop, would love your opinion:
34 years old. live/work in Brooklyn NY
BA from Stony Brrok from 98', not good grades.
at La Guardia Community College for the past 2.5 years. Finishing the last bits of pre-reqs. GPA 3.3. Took GRE's this August 720 Verbal, 740 Math. Worked in 2 different animal hospitals over the past 2 yrs ( 3500 hours), volunteer at City Shelter ( 900 hours). 4 Excellent LOR's. Applications complete and mailed.
UC Davis, Western, UPenn, Royal College, UC Dublin, Massey, St. George's, Ross, AUA, LSU, U of Tenn. Any chances any of these places?!!!
 
It's hard for any of us to determine your chances... we really aren't sure about our own chances. You have an excellent GRE score, and the rest of your application seems good. I suppose you'll just have to sit and wait along with the rest of us. 😉

Best of luck!
 
Welcome! I agree with 12T. Your application certainly seems competitive. You should easily be admitted to Ross and SGU. It's always a bit of a crapshoot with stateside schools but I think you've made some wise decisions in terms of where you have applied.
Good luck, and please stick around here!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
thank you!
No Cornell. Lived in NY all my life, it's time to go elsewhere!

where are all of you/have you applied to?
 
I'm not intimately familiar with the stats of all those schools, but I know your numbers are better than mine (awesome GRE, BTW!) and I got into Kansas. I would bet you would have no problem getting into the Carribean schools and probably quite a few stateside schools. Only thing, though - you say your grades for your BA were "not good" but then you mention a 3.3 with your pre-reqs. Was the 3.3 just for the pre-reqs or your overall GPA, including the "not good" BA GPA? Schools do look at the last 45 hours, but they also consider the overall/total GPA. So if that 3.3 was just the recent pre-reqs and your BA was poor enough to drag down your total GPA, that would hurt. But even then, your GRE is good enough to somewhat compensate for a lower GPA.
 
wow.
now i know why i have never spent any time or energy in these damm chat rooms.

all of you/most of you need to grow the F- up. the title of my posts were "NEW TO THIS FORUM". so if you really want to be a vet why don't you learn some patience and tolerance. Or were just planning on being douche bags to clients that come in to euthanize their pets as well??

good f-ing luck. and stop wasting your time reading these damm things, read a book, walk a dog. better yet go clean a toliet and get some humilty.
 
wow.
now i know why i have never spent any time or energy in these damm chat rooms.

all of you/most of you need to grow the F- up. the title of my posts were "NEW TO THIS FORUM". so if you really want to be a vet why don't you learn some patience and tolerance. Or were just planning on being douche bags to clients that come in to euthanize their pets as well??

good f-ing luck. and stop wasting your time reading these damm things, read a book, walk a dog. better yet go clean a toliet and get some humilty.

Woa there! 😱 Somebody's pissy... Reading the start of this thread, I cannot, for the life of me, figure out what has brought on this rant. However, I did notice that you posted the same question in a couple of places. As was stated, you're pretty much going to get the same answer regardless.

As for your commentary, I think you've succeeded if your plan was to insult. However, I think you could have done better... Why resort to using such low level vocabulary as 'douche bag' when you have exhibited an outstanding knowledge of the English language via a standardized examination? I'm certain there are better words up you sleeve.

Now, as for someone who has cleaned toilets in past, and knows people who still do, I have to say that I'm offended. :annoyed: Those jobs don't offer humility in any way shape or form as they are thankless and dirty. What they do offer is a chance for unskilled individuals (or individuals who are unable to otherwise find a job) to make a little money and perhaps make a better life for themselves. It's an honest living for some and some people are quite proud of what they do.
 
I'm really, really confused why you're so angry right now. You're new to the forum so you probably have not explored the search thread option, in which you would find many helpful resources. It's up on your right hand side, above the threads.

Unfortunately, we are not admissions people and can't say with any certainty if/where/when you might be accepted. We also see a lot of people come in and ask "what are my chances?" which 1. gets tiring after a while and 2. is not a truly answerable question.

I hope you reconsider what has been said in this thread because honestly, there has been zero hostility from any of those who have replied. Your sharp, demeaning reply will not be welcomed by anyone, so I do hope that you can find a way to lower your defensiveness and become a part of this really helpful group.
 
Got one thing to say to the OP's rant.
HatersGonnaHatePanda.jpg
 
Wow. Don't know what brought on the drama and hissyfit from rafael. I was originally pulling for the guy, but I've since changed my opinion. I hope to god no one with this short a fuse and lack of comprehension is ever working in my profession. Dude might benefit from some medication.
 
Haha I got an angry PM about why I'll be a terrible vet as well, so I guess that makes me extra special. 🙂

ETA: Oh, oh! I hope he goes to the pre-allo forum next!

I hear the ability to search for relevant information is frowned upon in veterinary medicine.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
WOW! I'm completely confused as to what sent old Raffy into a hissy fit! I guess being directed to an earlier post where the question had been asked and answered was too much for him to handle.

I'll never understand why some people choose hide behind the anonymity of their computer and go off on such a disrespectful rant like that without provocation!

Sheesh! Some folks seriously need to grow up!🙄
 
As for your commentary, I think you've succeeded if your plan was to insult. However, I think you could have done better... Why resort to using such low level vocabulary as 'douche bag' when you have exhibited an outstanding knowledge of the English language via a standardized examination? I'm certain there are better words up you sleeve.

Love this! 😀
 
I smell a troll. Who gets a 1460 on the GRE and then asks if they should retake them? If not so, I'd be afraid to work with him. Someone who flies off the handle at the mere hint of "do the work yourself" is not someone I'd want to associate with. So not a Gen-Xer attitude. 😀
 
I smell a troll. Who gets a 1460 on the GRE and then asks if they should retake them? If not so, I'd be afraid to work with him. Someone who flies off the handle at the mere hint of "do the work yourself" is not someone I'd want to associate with. So not a Gen-Xer attitude. 😀

Yay! I finally have an excuse to use this: :troll: !!!!

And I totally agree... The GRE score question was the first post I saw and a million red flags went off for me. I opted not to reply because all I could think of was that he was simply showing off. And then came the rant. SO glad I'm not applying anywhere he is. If we met I fear that he would have gotten the sharp side of my tongue more than once! :slap:

Maybe a little School House Rock will chill him out?

This one's for TT and her 'fierceness'! 😛

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx5S69CaWoE&feature=related
 
Yay! I finally have an excuse to use this: :troll: !!!!

And I totally agree... The GRE score question was the first post I saw and a million red flags went off for me. I opted not to reply because all I could think of was that he was simply showing off. And then came the rant.

lol on the sign :laugh:

I am so glad I am not the only one who thought this. I saw those scores and the question and was thinking in my head, wtf, are you kidding? Brag much?

And it is so great to post the same exact thing 4 times within 5 minutes of each other. We love reading the same thing in multiple threads including one you dedicated to yourself. Good job. I wonder how posting once and actually waiting for a response would work?
 
wow.
now i know why i have never spent any time or energy in these damm chat rooms.

all of you/most of you need to grow the F- up. the title of my posts were "NEW TO THIS FORUM". so if you really want to be a vet why don't you learn some patience and tolerance. Or were just planning on being douche bags to clients that come in to euthanize their pets as well??

good f-ing luck. and stop wasting your time reading these damm things, read a book, walk a dog. better yet go clean a toliet and get some humilty.

u mad?