Non-Trad Success(?) Story and Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

digitlnoize

Rock God
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Some background: I'm a 31 year old non-trad. Married. 8yo Daughter. Currently a 2nd year DO student at LECOM-Bradenton. Before med school, I was a musician/teacher (guitar lessons mostly). I managed a music store to pay the bills. Hated retail, decided to follow my dream.

Ancient History: I had tried a few Community College classes right after high school. I was a bit immature (to say the least) and stopped going to many of them (mostly English) without withdrawing. A few times. When I went back to school I had about 20 credits complete and a ~1.5 GPA thanks to all those dropped classes.

Advice #1: Do not drop classes ever. If you already did, there's not much that can be done. I hear a couple of states (Texas?) have a certain period of time after which they will erase your transcript and let you start all over. I would have done this if I could have.

You must report ALL classes ever taken on your Med School Applications (AMCAS or AACOMAS). Then they calculate your GPA based on a their own special formula. For AMCAS (MD) if you retake a class, your grades are averaged. For AACOMAS (DO) your new grade will REPLACE your old grade.

Those of you in situations similar to mine, may want to seriously consider DO school for this reason. I wasn't able to retake many of my classes (many were no longer offered), but my overall AACOMAS GPA was still ~0.3 points higher than my AMCAS one (3.3 to 3.6).

Back to School: So, I quit my job. I was only able to do this because my parents gave me a small-ish loan to pay off my outstanding debts (a couple grand in credit cards, mostly). Once I was debt free, it was much easier to live on student loans. I had to get Private loans at first, because my low GPA meant I didn't qualify for federal aid. Beware: these loans may enter repayment BEFORE you're finished with school. I'm currently making a $130/mo payment on my first private loan as a med student.

I would highly recommend quitting your job if at all possible. You need excellent grades and work is a huge distractor. I couldn't do it. If you can, more power to you, but it'll be hard. You'll have to quit eventually anyways.

Have Support: I have a wife. She's awesome. She supports me emotionally, physically (sorry, but this is important), and financially. I can't imagine how someone could do this without having some support. She takes care of the kid, most of the housework (I help out when I can), and makes money.

If your spouse doesn't work, I'd think about getting them a job before you try to go to med school. My wife did Dental Hygiene (she got a 4 year degree, but most places are 2 year programs) and now makes ~50-60k/yr. Wish I had done that...just kidding.

Regardless, student loans are a pittance. Have a real income if possible. Budget well.

Science Classes: I had not taken ANY science classes during my first failed attempt at college. This means that, as long as I got A's, my science GPA would be VERY high. It was. 3.8. That's really good. Mostly people have a 3.8 overall and a 3.3 science. I was backwards. 3.3 overall. 3.8 science. Go figure.

Community College: Community College classes are fine. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I took a year of Bio and a year of Chemistry at Community College. That being said...LEARN THE MATERIAL WELL. If your teacher sucks, too bad. Same goes for 4-year institutions for that matter. CC's aren't the only place with crappy teachers. I got my A.S. and moved on to 4-year for my B.S.

What you should NOT do, is go to a 4 year, then go take Organic Chemistry at the Community College because the teacher there is easier and gives everyone A's. This *can* look bad. It raises questions. "Why didn't you take this class at your University?" You want your application to stand out, but not like this. Taking classes at CC before you go to a 4-year is fine.

Applying to Med School: It's expensive. Lots of schools = lots of $$$. Budget for this. Travel. Interviews. Food, etc. $$, $$, $$. Stressful. I never want to do this again. Dreading residency apps. Apply EARLY and broadly.

Schools: Consider your family: We are sooo much happier here (small town on the Gulf Coast) than we would have been at, say, EVMS (big city on the Mid-Atlantic East Coast). Here, we can live within 2 miles of school, and not have to worry crime, schools, etc. Also, the PBL curriculum of LECOM-B means that I only have to be at school for about 2 hrs a day. The rest of the day is mine to study (or not) as it fits into my schedule.

I like my DO school. I applied to both. Competitiveness being what it is, I didn't get into my state MD schools, so I came here. I love it. We are far happier here than we would have been at any of my MD choices. I will say to watch out for the high tuition of most DO schools. LECOM is one of the lowest, which didn't hurt my decision. It was actually cheaper than 2/3 of my state schools.

You will learn the same material at DO school as MD. There's very little difference in this day and age. Many of my professors are MD's. We have former distinguished faculty from Wake Forest, Ohio State, EVMS, and many others. There's little to no "voodoo" OMM taught at my school. Pretty much everything I've learned in OMM has been more like physical therapy based techniques (although historically that might be backwards)...far more than just cracking necks, etc. My point is, don't overlook the DO schools. We have great match lists year after year, and the old "DO discrimination" is largely gone.

It's a minor issue, but also consider the health insurance plans offered by the school. My plan covers us 100% of everything. We pay a $250 deductible, and $20 office visit copay. That's it. I just had a catheter ablation of an SVT heart arrhythmia (not dangerous, just annoying). Bill = $35,000. With a 20% copay, that would have hurt. I payed NOTHING. No exclusions for pre-existing conditions either.

Relationships: Make sure yours is solid. If you're not in one, I'd suggest waiting until after med school, unless you're sure that he/she is "the one." I have classmates who have dated, and it's stress and drama that they don't need. If you're in a relationship, make SOME time for the other person. Even if it's just a little...

Anyways. It CAN be done. Even if you're not a super genius or a trust fund child. Normal people can do it. Work hard. Read SDN like your Bible/Koran/book of choice. Work really hard.

Feel free to ask any questions you want.
 
Very good story, congratulations. 🙂 I am happy it worked for you so well.

I had a question, please. How quickly did you go through your pre-reqs? I took Gen Bio I/II and Chem I about 5 years ago, and I am trying to figure out if it would be a bad idea to finish Chem over the summer and finish the other pre-reqs in one year or stretch it out to two years.

Also, would you advise re-taking old science courses? Did you?

Thank you!
 
Very good story, congratulations. 🙂 I am happy it worked for you so well.

I had a question, please. How quickly did you go through your pre-reqs? I took Gen Bio I/II and Chem I about 5 years ago, and I am trying to figure out if it would be a bad idea to finish Chem over the summer and finish the other pre-reqs in one year or stretch it out to two years.

Also, would you advise re-taking old science courses? Did you?

Thank you!

I had not done any pre-reqs prior to going back to school. I did Bio I and II in ONE summer that was intense). Then, I did Chem I that fall and Chem II that spring.

If you did well (A/B) in the classes originally, then I wouldn't retake them. If you need to brush up on the material, then try and do it on your own time prior to class starting. Get a review book, or watch some YouTube videos or something.

Honestly, in this day and age, for a motivated student, there is no need to "take a class". You can watch lectures online or read books on any topic you could imagine. The classes are mostly to get the GPA and the piece of paper that you need to get into med school. Mostly. Occasionally you'll find that great teacher who you actually learn from, but I think they're few and far between.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had to withdraw from my undergraduate after getting a chronic, incurable (and potentially) fatal illness.

Took 1 and 1/2 years off to get medical and IV treatment. Finally, applied and have four MD acceptances 🙂

Not URM, not rich, very blessed.
 
I had to withdraw from my undergraduate after getting a chronic, incurable (and potentially) fatal illness.

Took 1 and 1/2 years off to get medical and IV treatment. Finally, applied and have four MD acceptances 🙂

Not URM, not rich, very blessed.
Hello, I know your post is old but I feel I can relate to you and you may provide me with some much needed advice.
Before I begin, you said if I retake a course I will be able to average my two grades for MD school app?

I need help as I am stressed about my situation. I am nontraditional. I have a degree in business marketing and worked for 5 years before going back to school. I was in the military during the time I was getting my BS-Marketing.

I went back to college full time late Aug 2013 but received military orders where I had to W from Calc (only course I was enrolled in at the time). When I returned I took Stats, Sociology and Pol. Science with all A's to get admitted to my local state university for a 2nd degree Biochem(to complete med requirements DIY postbacc premed.)

Once I was enrolled, I got military orders again and W'd from Chem, Mol. Bio, Calc and Med. Anthropology course. I was so stressed and upset so thought I would make up for time when I returned in May.

I went a bit overboard this summer trying to make up for time and took 1 trig (recommended by student for Physics), 1 stats, 1 calc, and 1 Gen. Chem course in these last 8 weeks. Needless to say I got 1 C in Calc(5SH), B in Trig (3SH), A in Stats (3SH) (behavioral and psychological stats) and B in Gen. Chem(5SH). My total science GPA is a 2.66 with these added. Courses before this:
Precalc and lab (4SH): B
College Alg and Lab (4SH): B
Bio/ Human Emphasis (3SH)(took in HS at local CC): D (retook to boost to C)
**I am counting the D from the Bio course.
Elementary Stats (3 SH): A

I am getting geared up for fall 2014 to take OChem I, Calc II and Molecular Bio, but I am concerned. I now know I made a mistake by taking way too much over a summer intercession.

In making up for time I did not consider the difficulty in time management and orienting myself to the full-time student life. When I took the 3 courses in August- I returned from military orders on Sunday and started school that Monday. When I started the summer intercession I got back on a Friday and started classes that Monday. I should also mention I am a single mother of 2 so motherly duties are always top priority.

Is my GPA too low to start as a postbacc nontraditional student on the path to MD? What advice do you have for me on my grades? I do not have a pre-med adviser and I got a 3.75 for my Marketing degree (with 1 C in all my Upper Div) and a 3.1 for my AA-Gen Ed.
Should I only take 2 science/ math courses at a time? Should I apply to post bacc program to get proper advising? Most say they require at least a 2.8-3.0 GPA> any advice helps.
 
Hello MDRenal, I was also in the military for 4 years active, 2 reserve and just finished a 2-year self-designed post-bacc program before starting this application cycle. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. From my own experience I have learned that you do not need to find an official "post bacc program" at a school. I needed all of my science lab pre-requisites when I separated from the military and I just went to my local 4-year school to get them. As I already had a BS, I was able to just sign up for what classes I needed/wanted and when I wanted to take them. In fact, I was given first preference at class registration and it was great! So don't worry about a low GPA to "get in" to a post bacc program. Although I do highly recommend completing your post bacc courses at a 4-year institution instead of a community college as this is what schools want to see.
You DO need to bring your science GPA up. Wherever you chose to complete your postbacc at, try to get a feel of how many classes you can handle at once. Although schools factor in your course load, I would think explaining that you were meeting your military obligations while raising two children single-handedly would be much more understandable to an admissions committee than explaining poor grades. It looks like you have your math pre-reqs taken care of and now only need to focus on science pre-reqs. Try to find a local 4-year institution that is military-friendly (will work with you if you get deployed mid-semester) and make sure the school has a pre-med/pre-health committee as you will need them to write you a letter of recommendation when you are finished with your self-designed program and go to apply to medical schools. This committee will most likely be comprised of your science teachers so try to get to know them during your stay at the university and make it known from the beginning you are there as a post-bacc student and will eventually be applying to medical schools. When I started my "program" I just declared biology as my major and was assigned a biology advisor off the health committee who provided invaluable insight into the application process in addition to course selection. Best of luck!
Thank you for your well thought out response. It was recommended that I retake the Bio Human Emphasis course and the Calc I course. Do you think I should do that? I am taking Calc II and considered taking III after I got the C in Calc I to boos the GPA and show I can handle it.
My local state university does not have pre-health committee or a pre health adviser so the DIY route is the only route.
Thank you so much for reaching out- you have provided a but of motivation to me🙂
Other question- do you have any suggestions for EC's with my busy schedule? I am still military, plus have my school and parental duties so not sure where to start. Also, not sure how it will look if I don' t have any EC's like other people- ER, hundreds of volunteer hours... etc. I would think the adcom's look at being able to maintain good grades while taking care of other responsibilities- which I am already doing. My children's EC's are time consuming in themselves. I would love to do more, but not sure where I would add that in.