DO Non-trad. with 3.4 cGPA and 3.04 sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sunrise92

Reaction score
Hi all, I made a similar post the other day but my GPA calculations were incorrect.

My cGPA is 3.4 and sGPA is 3.04.

I was just wondering where you would recommend I apply based on my stats - or do I even have a chance period?

Stats:
* BSc, Majored in Bio. & Psych.
* 1000+ research hours. 2 publications (2nd author) (1 in psych. 1 in bio.), 1 honor's thesis (psych.), 2 1st place research awards, 4 posters (1 at regional conference).
* Was asked to be a judge at a research conference (and did so)
* Worked in Neuroscience dept. at a prestigious institution as research tech for a year following graduation.
* Have my LORs from PIs and science teachers, DO
* TA for 1.5 yrs in Psych
* 100ish clinical volunteer
* 100ish shadowing DO in ER
* 100ish non-clinical volunteer
* I was in the honors college and graduated with departmental honors in psych

Those are the 'good' things. Now the bad things...

1. I have many Ws from when I was younger and was clearly not ready for college. I went to school on and off from 2003-2007. Stopped, then began full-time beginning in 2011. I graduated in 2016. Afterwards, I worked in a Neuroscience lab for one year.
2. I have 2 Fs, 1 D, 2 C+, 2 C. I had health problems (severe anxiety & depression) and did not go to my classes. I ended up failing O. Chem. II and Physics II because I wasn't in class. Retook all my bad grades and got As.
3. My volunteering hours are low (as you can see above). Shadowing hours are not diverse and also kind of low.
4. It's been 1.5 years since I was 'active'. I have done research continuously since graduation except for this past year.

I'm taking the MCAT in June.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Depends on what your MCAT score is. If your score is at least 500 you could receive interviews at some DO schools. Post your actual score here when available and I will suggest schools that you can apply to.

Members don't see this ad :)
You also don't really describe what you did with clinical experience or community service. The hours and description are important.

Clinical: delivered oxygen tanks, tended to patients in ER (ie giving them blankets), & worked in a phlebotomist office.

Community: Habitat For Humanity (helping build houses)