Non-tradit pre-reqs...Juco vs Online vs 4-yr?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MsMollyMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm new to the boards but have already learned so much from going through all these posts. What a great resource! I found a lot of good advice, but nothing for what I was specifically looking for. Here's my (abridged) story (PS, yes, I know my name makes no sense for a DVM hopeful, I thought for 10 seconds I may like to treat people but NOPE not for me) :

Graduated college '13 as an English major. Worked in marketing for 2 years and decided to go to law school. Moved OOS for school, realized once I got there that law wasn't for me so I took a random job as the GM of an animal hospital. Fell in LOVE with everything about medicine and animal health, found my "calling" but took absolutely zero science/math credits in college. Decided to move home to take a boring, uninspiring (but much better paying) desk job with the intention of taking my pre-reqs in the mean time at a local college, mostly nights and weekends.

Here's my predicament. I know most admissions committees favor credits from 4-year universities vs. JuCo's, but my local 4-year has very limited night and weekend classes (I need to keep working to pay my living expenses while I tackle these prereqs) and it comes with a hefty price tag-$445 per credit hour. My JuCo, on the other hand, is $80/credit and has a ton of night and weekend options. I could also take online classes through my alma mater, a 4-year college with a great vet school for around $230/credit, for those non-laboratory credits.

I know that for "major-specific" courses like Micro, OChem, etc., I should really go to the 4-year. But what about classes like Bio 1/2, Chem 1, Stats and Calc? Could I get away with taking those at a community college (since they're gen eds) and only taking the "tough" classes at the 4-year, or would it really provide a stronger application to take them all at a 4-year? And what would admissions think of online classes for non-lab? Would they rank that higher or lower than a JuCo?

As far as the "complete person" part of my application, I have a demonstrated commitment to trying for the Army Vet Corps, volunteer at an equine therapy program for veterans, and work part-time as an animal nutrition consultant and vet tech, just for the experience.

Thanks for your thoughts on this!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Call the schools you are planning to applying and ask them. Might as well do it right the first go round than to learn the hard way. My IS doesn't like community college courses nor even online ones, but each school as their own opinion.

Reactions: 1 user
Take as many classes as possible at a community/junior college. I took all the basics (humanities, gen chem, gen bio, gen physics) at this level and had no issue getting into vet school and saved a ton of money. Just research the vet schools you're applying to and double check which classes they require to be taken at a 4 year university. These requirements can vary school to school but you should be okay taking all the general ed classes at a CC level

Members don't see this ad :)
Most vet schools will want microbiology, biochemistry, and occasionally organic chem at a 4-year school. Basically all of the "upper-level" courses. All of the general stuff (Gen Bio 1/2, Chem 1/2, Physics 1/2, stats, calc, etc.) should be just fine at a 2-year school! Make sure to check with each individual school for their specific requirements. Many that I know of do not require that organic chemistry be taken at a 4-year, though it is "preferred." The only school I can think of off the top of my head that WILL NOT take organic chem from a 2-year school is Oklahoma State. Again, just check each school website! Good luck! :)

Thanks so much for the replies! I'm going to be that obnoxious student that emails the schools to double check...if it's anything like law school, they'll open a file on me the minute they hear from me, so I may as well be networking with admissions early on :)

This definitely gives me some comfort knowing that I can at least tackle the basics at my JuCo though! They actually have a great nursing program, so their science classes are pretty tough (In a good way, I took some CollegeNow science classes in high school). I want this more than anything, but working full-time and trying to pay off my current debts plus taking on what would equate to a second complete bachelor's degree at $500/hour was getting me a bit nervous! Good luck to everyone.