DO Non traditional applicant-3.6 overall-3.5 sgpa-497 MCAT. DO chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kbomber

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a non-traditional applicant this year seeking admission to a DO school. I have a bachelor of science degree in Biology (Overall gpa 3.5, sgpa 3.3) and a Master of Science degree (Thesis/research-based, gpa 3.89) in Cellular Biology. My extracurricular activities are very strong (IMO). They include: Over 500 hours volunteering with direct patient interaction (pediatrics), over 500 hours non-clinical volunteer experience in the community working with under-privileged populations, greater than 10,000 hours basic scientific research experience investigating a potential chemotherapy target enzyme, 30 hours physician shadowing (20 hours DO with DO LOR), 3 years as a graduate teaching assistant, 3 years as an undergraduate resident assistant, and am presently a full-time Scientist at an industry-leading bio-pharmaceutical company. My LORs are very strong and are from individuals who I've known for a long time and have played important roles in shaping me. I applied to medical school 5 years ago and decided to return to the idea of becoming a physician after much consideration and being lost for several years. I've reinvented my application since then but still have a low MCAT. My most recent MCAT score was my third attempt. My first two attempts were in 2010 (will schools look at these?) and were 22P and 23Q. Do I stand a chance at DO admission this cycle? My application is almost verified so applications could go out soon. I would especially appreciate any advice from adcoms maybe even @Goro ? Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Multiple poor MCATs will hurt. You'd be autorejected at my school, alas. Are you ESL? Your scores put you at greater risk of failing out of med school and/or Boards.

Your best luck will be with the newest schools:
ACOM
BCOM
CUSOM
KYCOM
WVSOM
Wm Carey
PCOM-GA
all three VCOMs
LMU

I can't recommend LUCOM

I am not ESL but have struggled with reading comprehension and test anxiety badly in the past. Just trying to make the dream come true. Thanks for the reply. What sort of chance do I stand at those schools? @Goro, Adcoms would really factor 5 year old mcats into the admission process? Am I completely screwed from ever becoming a physician bc I took the mcat 3 times over 5 years?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am not ESL but have struggled with reading comprehension and test anxiety badly in the past. Just trying to make the dream come true. Thanks for the reply. What sort of chance do I stand at those schools? Adcoms would really factor 5 year old mcats into the admission process?

What about podiatry? Your MCAT scores are right at their averages.

What about podiatry? Your MCAT scores are right at their averages.
Thanks for the recommendation but I don't feel the same desire to practice podiatric medicine.

Should I even apply this cycle given my stats? I'm in some real need of solid advice on what to do now..

Tricky situation here. Since you have a full time job I would wait. You would have much better chances if you applied in May then if you did right now.

Thanks for the recommendation but I don't feel the same desire to practice podiatric medicine.

Should I even apply this cycle given my stats? I'm in some real need of solid advice on what to do now..

I'm not an adcom, but I would say do not apply. I think your only chance at this point would be to retake one more time and smoke the MCAT. I'm not exactly sure how they view 4 takes but I think it's your best bet at this point. Your ECs are strong so it's really just the MCAT holding you back

Could I get any more insight into whether I would stand a chance submitting to schools this month with my current applicant profile? I appreciate all of the suggestions, it helps to have people willing to provide helpful advice. @user3 @gyngyn ?

Last edited:
Could I get any more insight into whether I would stand a chance submitting to schools this month with my current applicant profile? I appreciate all of the suggestions, it helps to have people willing to provide helpful advice. @user3 @gyngyn ?
I think you have a decent chance for some interviews if you apply to all the schools on @Goro's list and also add MU-COM. If no success during this cycle reapply next June and add the new DO schools that will be opening up in 2017.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure if retaking would actually help you out. In your first two tries you scored 22-23 and this time you scored a 497 which is around a 23 on the old scale. I'd apply to where Goro says and see what happens. The MCAT is really the only thing holding you up. Good luck.

I think you have a decent chance for some interviews if you apply to all the schools on @Goro's list and also add MU-COM. If no success during this cycle reapply next June and add the new DO schools that will be opening up in 2017.

The way I see it I have two options. 1.) Go ahead and apply to the schools Goro recommended. I am encouraged by your post and think I will give it a shot. Does attending a lower tier DO school decrease my potential to specialize down the road? I am most interested in pediatrics and worry about not finding a good residency spot later on. If it helps any, my total percentile rank was 40% for my most recent MCAT (33% and 27% for my first two). And 2.) Quit my full-time job and take a kaplan course, I haven't had the option of studying full-time for any of my MCAT attempts and I'm sure it would help. It's difficult to know if I should retake and try to become more competitive for next year or apply this year hoping for some love.

Any insight into my concerns and questions is GREATLY appreciated. I'm just trying to figure this process out with my unexpectedly low MCAT score.