Non-traditional applicant - what path should I take going forward?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justaguy_md

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am a 26 y/o with a B.S. in CS. I was a pre-med before changing my major to CS. I graduated with a 3.15 overall GPA. I've been working for 3 years since my graduation and am doing good at work.

Ever since a month or so ago, I've been reconsidering medicine. In my college years, there were a few factors that caused me to move away from medicine. I didn't have a lot of confidence or self-belief. I also never fully applied myself in my school work, although I did manage to get decent grades. Family issues. In any case, I want to give medicine another shot.

However, I am unsure how to proceed from here given that I have yet to complete my pre-requisites, have no volunteer or clinical experience.

When I was a pre-med, I completed 2 semesters of biology at a community college with an A and a B in each semester respectively, 2 semesters of Chemistry with a B and a C in each semester respectively, 2 semesters of Physics with a B and a C in each semester respectively, and psychology and sociology in which I got an A and a B respectively. Keep in mind, these courses were taken about 7-8 years ago.

What should I do from here? I've heard about post-bacc programs, second bachelors, etc. I want to raise my GPA if possible, or do something that will show an increasing trend in my college grades. I'm thinking of retaking some of the pre-req courses such as Biology, Chemistry, and Physics. But I am not sure if this is a good idea.

I definitely have to take Biochemistry and Organic chemistry.

I'll do what it takes to get a highly competitive MCAT score.

What kind of volunteer/clinical experience opportunities should be looking for?

Any advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey. Since you already have a bachelors, look into "career-changer" post-bacs / masters. They're tailored towards people in other fields considering medicine, and need to take the medical prerequisites.
I would also look up local hospitals and clinics, research/directly inquire for volunteer opportunities. I was a patient transporter.
Look into scribing.
Some of the post-bacs/masters have shadowing exploration programs. If they don't, ask your doctor/another doctor if you can shadow them.
Also look for non-healthcare volunteer experiences. Animal shelter, soup kitchen, homeless shelter, tutoring/teaching children.
While doing your postbac/masters, ask if any professors are taking student researchers. Not required but good to have for research-heavy med schools.

I'd second a career-changer post-bac. The AAMC website has a page where you can find a post-bac to cater to your needs. These programs are specifically designed for people like you and many even offer MCAT preparation.

Some of the more competitive post-bacs provide linkage programs which allow for you to enter medical school the year after you do the post-bac. I would look into these as well, because if you successfully take part in a linkage program, you could enter medical school as early as the Fall of 2021.

Even if you can't do a linkage, a post-bac would also provide for you another year in a rigorous academic setting before entering medical school.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey. Since you already have a bachelors, look into "career-changer" post-bacs / masters. They're tailored towards people in other fields considering medicine, and need to take the medical prerequisites.
I would also look up local hospitals and clinics, research/directly inquire for volunteer opportunities. I was a patient transporter.
Look into scribing.
Some of the post-bacs/masters have shadowing exploration programs. If they don't, ask your doctor/another doctor if you can shadow them.
Also look for non-healthcare volunteer experiences. Animal shelter, soup kitchen, homeless shelter, tutoring/teaching children.
While doing your postbac/masters, ask if any professors are taking student researchers. Not required but good to have for research-heavy med schools.
Would you suggest a DIY post-bacc or a formal post-bacc? I am currently working full time and supporting my family.

I'd second a career-changer post-bac. The AAMC website has a page where you can find a post-bac to cater to your needs. These programs are specifically designed for people like you and many even offer MCAT preparation.

Some of the more competitive post-bacs provide linkage programs which allow for you to enter medical school the year after you do the post-bac. I would look into these as well, because if you successfully take part in a linkage program, you could enter medical school as early as the Fall of 2021.

Even if you can't do a linkage, a post-bac would also provide for you another year in a rigorous academic setting before entering medical school.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

I've seen those programs. But I would have to move out of town to attend one of those (unless some of those programs are online, which I doubt). The city that I live in has California state university. I am working full time and supporting my family. Would it be possible to do a DIY post-bacc at this university as a part time student, which would allow me to continue to work full time and attend courses?

I've seen those programs. But I would have to move out of town to attend one of those (unless some of those programs are online, which I doubt). The city that I live in has California state university. I am working full time and supporting my family. Would it be possible to do a DIY post-bacc at this university as a part time student, which would allow me to continue to work full time and attend courses?

Ideally, you want to get your post-bac courses done within a year, or two. Doing it part-time will extend your med school application timeline, but it can be done. I suggest a formal post-bac/SMP over DIY due to rep, resources, and connections, but you should do whatever works for you.

Would it be possible to do a DIY post-bacc at this university as a part time student, which would allow me to continue to work full time and attend courses?
Yes, absolutely. Not everyone has the luxury of quitting work to go back to school. I worked full time while doing my post bacc part time, and the feedback has been largely positive. It certainly speaks to time management.