Non-traditional help Post-bac or just apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wackaflacka

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I am deliberating whether to apply this cycle or do a formal post-bac. In an ideal world, I would apply to MD/DO and see where the chips fall, delaying the post-bac decision until after the dust settles. However, application fees are quite exorbitant and I am concerned that it may not be the best use of my funds. I have gone back to school, took classes as a non-degree seeking student and then did a Master's degree. Any advice from individuals who may have gone through similar issues would be much appreciated. Stats below. Thanks.

My stats:
UGGPA- 2.99
UGsGPA-2.66

Graduating with a Master's degree this spring in Cell Bio Graduate GPA: 4.0 34 credits
MCAT: taking this summer

Clinical experience: ED medical scribe full time>1 year
Research: Working in a virology lab at the University I am doing my Masters
Volunteer: Tutored elementary to high school students in low income areas in Baltimore City

Members don't see this ad.

Why didn't you attempt to fix your undergraduate gpa before the master's?

Members don't see this ad :)
Absolutely do not apply this cycle. Lets go through the reasons why:
1. Very low cGPA
2. Very low sGPA
3. Graduate GPA is not factored highly nor does it replace low uGPA
4. Very little medical exposure through clinical work/volunteering
5. MCAT score?

Your stats and exposure are below average in every category (MCAT score is a mystery still). Right now, your applications (assuming a decent MCAT) screams of an applicant that cannot handle the rigors of medical school or really understand what being a doctor entails. Do yourself a favor and take the type to do a post-bac and pursue grade replacement for any F/D/C grades that you have. Get that cGPA and sGPA above a 3.3 and either apply to DO or to an SMP.

Keep this in mind: 60% of applicants to medical school do not matriculate in any given year. Don't let lack of preparation (i.e. seeing where the chips fall) be the reason you are included in this statistic.

Hello. I am deliberating whether to apply this cycle or do a formal post-bac. In an ideal world, I would apply to MD/DO and see where the chips fall, delaying the post-bac decision until after the dust settles. However, application fees are quite exorbitant and I am concerned that it may not be the best use of my funds. I have gone back to school, took classes as a non-degree seeking student and then did a Master's degree. Any advice from individuals who may have gone through similar issues would be much appreciated. Stats below. Thanks.

My stats:
UGGPA- 2.99
UGsGPA-2.66

Graduating with a Master's degree this spring in Cell Bio Graduate GPA: 4.0 34 credits
MCAT: taking this summer

Clinical experience: ED medical scribe full time>1 year
Research: Working in a virology lab at the University I am doing my Masters
Volunteer: Tutored elementary to high school students in low income areas in Baltimore City

Even with a bangin' MCAT score you would have beyond a rough time as it stands right now, with sub-3.0 in both cGPA and sGPA. Chances are you'd even be filtered out before your application was even read, as 3.0 tends to be the absolute floor (barring some extreme circumstances). Master's degrees, while good talking points, are not factored into your uGPA for MD applications (though they are for DO).

You'd be throwing money away if you applied this year. And the next time you tried you'd be a reapplicant, which is not a good position to be in. You have got to bring that uGPA up.

You have three options:
1) A post-bacc. This doesn't have to be an expensive formal program; you can take classes on your own. Pre-requisite classes plus as many rigorous, 300-400 level science courses that you can get your hands on. Get a 3.7+ in your post-bacc work, and know. Be aware that budging a GPA if you already have a degree's worth of credits is a long haul, credit-wise, and that low starting GPA will haunt you on the application. You'll need to prove to schools that you can manage a sustained, rigorous courseload and do well.

2) If you're open to DO, consider grade replacement. If you retake any undergrad class you did poorly in, DO schools will only consider the more recent grade. So if you went back and re-took anything you got a C or below in, your GPA would come up quite quickly. Likely your best option of the three.

3) An SMP. The most expensive and riskiest option but it is there.

What I would recommend (what I did, and turned out great) is to do grade replacement in anything below a B+, and go DO. looks like your overall GPA would be above a 3.o pretty fast, so aim for 3.2-3.3 on that (very doable). even just taking 1 semester + summer school to replace your grades with B+ or higher will make your sGPA jump pretty fast. easiest thing in the world to do for you is retake the basic science classes that you didn't do so well in, especially now that you have a degree in the science. If you put that time and effort in, you will be rewarded.

In terms of experience, being a scribe like you are doing now is perfect. among all of my classmates, the people most prepared for the clinical side of medicine are: Former PAs, Nurses, EMS, scribes.

Also keep in mind that MD doesn't do grade replacement. If you are looking for an MD behind your name, you may need to go to the carribean (keep in mind, they will be the first to get squeezed for spots if residency shortage gets worse). your best bet is to go DO.

good luck!

I just want to point out that the advice above about Caribbean medical schools is a TERRIBLE idea. Caribbean medical schools are for profit institutions that DELIBERATELY enroll too many students (to maximize profits) and FAIL 50% of their students in order to avoid paying hospitals to provide clinic spots for their students. This leaves students with well over a hundred thousand dollars worth of debt without a medical degree. If you are lucky enough to graduate from a Caribbean medical school, you will have difficulty finding a spot in ANY residency program. Without a residency program, you will be unable to obtain a medical license rendering your degree, the hundreds of thousands of dollars/years of time you put in, completely useless.

Reactions: 1 user
I just want to point out that the advice above about Caribbean medical schools is a TERRIBLE idea. Caribbean medical schools are for profit institutions that DELIBERATELY enroll too many students (to maximize profits) and FAIL 50% of their students in order to avoid paying hospitals to provide clinic spots for their students. This leaves students with well over a hundred thousand dollars worth of debt without a medical degree. If you are lucky enough to graduate from a Caribbean medical school, you will have difficulty finding a spot in ANY residency program. Without a residency program, you will be unable to obtain a medical license rendering your degree, the hundreds of thousands of dollars/years of time you put in, completely useless.

the "looking to keep an MD behind your name" was sarcasm, but I agree with your statement. Some people just cant stand to have a DO after their name (thinking of a specific friend of mine).

Reactions: 1 user