Non traditional major, low-ish GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

med2020

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am an international affairs and global health major at a fairly challenging university. My current GPA is around a 2.7. Long story short, I majorly missed up in my language classes. IA majors are required to have 6 semesters of a language, and I happen to be completely awful at them. So the main reason my GPA is so low is because of a handful of C's in French, and 1 D+ in my first semester in microeconomics (I got a A- in macroeconomics second semester). Unlike other majors/classes, IA classes aren't curved at all partially because people aren't as hung up on their GPAs as the traditional premed classes/majors are :p. I really like international affairs but realize now that chose the wrong major, and I'm going to be a senior so its too late to switch. At this point I don't know what to do. I am planning on doing a DIY postbacc (can't spend the $ on a formal program), getting my MPH, and maybe a masters degree in a hard science. I'm just feeling a little upset with myself and want to make the best of the situation. Any advice? Sorry for the rant....

Members don't see this ad.

Take the core curriculum, do well, see what your updated GPA is, and then you can decide where to go from there.