All Branch Topic (ABT) Non-Traditional, Military Pre-med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Occultist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am deciding to go full-time student or to go part-time student. Average 40-50 hours a week. I invested 3 years into the military (1 yr left), and I will strive for a 20 year career (ideally 30). I have less than 16 credits in college at the moment, nor had experience working in a medical job yet. I am already past the growing pains of the military.

The reasons to re-enlist for another 4-5 years is so I will have a stream of money coming in while I study part-time **28,000 a year minimum**, knowing I cannot get any lab work, and so I will take a 2-3 year break to maximize my GI bill afterward. I’m already non-traditional, so being even more non-traditional doesn’t bother me (age). I think this would be more productive, for my circumstance, since I am still adding years to my pension while building up college credits to make myself more secure when I do go hardcore at college (no different than non-traditional students working full-time). And the more years I add to my military career, the higher the pay when I do become an officer **which takes away the con of low pay in the immediate future**. In the long-run, I think I’ll have a better chance in succeeding pre-med if I do this, because I’ll have more savings to live as a frugal undergrad, and I will get a lot of the basics out the way (which I should had, but I didn’t).

The reasons to not to, is the time to become a doctor. I’ll be in my early 30s, doing medical school, but the military doesn’t have a strict age limit for doctors until around 36 at least for Uniform School of Medicine,. And the years I spend in the enlisted instead of making rank in the commission, although I could just toss that up to life-experience/pension-fluffing. I don’t plan on having kids.

I do not want my break in the military to last longer than 2 years and so I want to minimize the time I am away from the military to finish my degree.

Opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

I want to do 20 years in the military regardless of my job. 30 years is so my pension is nice.

Becoming a doctor has been in the backburner. Besides anything else, it's what I have to do, and because I am in the military and enjoy the military for all its up and downs, it's what I want to do with my life.

And honestly, I cannot see myself doing anything but being a doctor or a nurse well. I am not really good at being a soldier/combat/tactical/lawyer/linguist/dry material. I can deal with it though, but it's not my passion. I like patients and helping people.

But just because it's not my passion, doesn't mean I don't like the benefits of putting up with it.

Last edited:
Why not transition to the Reserve, focus on getting into Med school full-time? You'll keep accounting time towards retirement, will improve your chances at getting IN to Med school at all (by taking good in person classes), and will cut opportunity cost by not pushing off a medical career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
So, you're enlisted now, 3 years in, and want to be a doctor?

Easiest SDN question ever!

Finish your enlistment, and if you can, knock out some transferable general education credits in the next year. Then get out of the military and go finish your undergraduate degree at a reputable brick & mortar actual university. The kind of piecemeal bachelor degree of distance learning, online shenanigans, and community college credits that an enlisted person can put together while on active duty is a massive handicap when applying to medical school. Some people have done it, but most can't.

The military is not here to help enlisted personnel become doctors.

When you have a medical school acceptance in hand, look at coming back in via HPSP or FAP or another mechanism.

The fact that you're already a non traditional applicant and older (how old?) is all the more reason to get out and get on with becoming a doctor.

Reactions: 1 user
If you can see yourself becoming a nurse and you truly want to stay in the military, why not just go that route? Use your GI Bill for a 4 year RN program (or Reserves/NG/ROTC) and then come back in as a nurse. You can specialize from there into EM, ICU, whatever. You can climb the monkey pole and end up OIC of a clinic, or even the Surgeon General. What I'm getting at is that if being a nurse is okay with you, then why put yourself through the years of work and agony to become a doctor? RN is a much quicker route, will lead to good income, and you can stay in the Army as long as you want.

Reactions: 1 users
100% agree with WDO. Be an RN. Be a CRNA if you want to feel like you're doing more. You'll be WAY happier in the military, and you'll have more pull than a physician.

You are getting "be a nurse" answers because your post reflects more that you want to be in the Army and less that you want to be a physician.

Becoming a doctor has been in the backburner. Besides anything else, it's what I have to do, and because I am in the military and enjoy the military for all its up and downs, it's what I want to do with my life.

I getjya. I go through what I call a "TV phase", where after I complete a TV series, I want to emulate the main character. For instance, I just finished 'Breaking Bad'.....and now I want to become a chemist, to make meth, sell it, and create my global drug empire. My wife thinks I'm nuts, but I think I can do it. The synthesis is easy, the purification considerably harder but not insurmountable. I recently started watching 'Better Call Saul' (excellent spin-off btw) and am thinking about going to law school.

Reactions: 1 users
I getjya. I go through what I call a "TV phase", where after I complete a TV series, I want to emulate the main character. For instance, I just finished 'Breaking Bad'.....and now I want to become a chemist, to make meth, sell it, and create my global drug empire. My wife thinks I'm nuts, but I think I can do it. The synthesis is easy, the purification considerably harder but not insurmountable. I recently started watching 'Better Call Saul' (excellent spin-off btw) and am thinking about going to law school.
There is absolutely no reason you can't do both.

I am deciding to go full-time student or to go part-time student. Average 40-50 hours a week. I invested 3 years into the military (1 yr left), and I will strive for a 20 year career (ideally 30). I have less than 16 credits in college at the moment, nor had experience working in a medical job yet. I am already past the growing pains of the military.

Come back here and talk about your physician goal once you have gotten As on premed weed out classes like Organic Chemistry.
And the more years I add to my military career, the higher the pay when I do become an officer **which takes away the con of low pay in the immediate future**. In the long-run, I think I’ll have a better chance in succeeding pre-med if I do this, because I’ll have more savings to live as a frugal undergrad, and I will get a lot of the basics out the way (which I should had, but I didn’t).

The reasons to not to, is the time to become a doctor. I’ll be in my early 30s, doing medical school, but the military doesn’t have a strict age limit for doctors until around 36 at least for Uniform School of Medicine,. And the years I spend in the enlisted instead of making rank in the commission, although I could just toss that up to life-experience/pension-fluffing. I don’t plan on having kids.

I do not want my break in the military to last longer than 2 years and so I want to minimize the time I am away from the military to finish my degree.

Opinions?

A couple of things:

1) You will always be underpaid as a military physician doc no matter your TIS. If you're a primary care doc, you will break even to your civilian counterpart.
2) Yes, your retirement pay might be higher with 30 years in. However, if you get a heart attack and die 5 years after your retirement, you're giving the military a nice financial break. My advice is to take that 20 yr paycheck regardless of your belief especially if you're a physician.
3) The age limit doesn't exist for physicians.
4) You will have kids.

I won't have kids. I am not capable of it, unless future technology allows me too. It's not in the Fates at the moment.

Thanks for the responses.