Non-Traditional Military Student looking for advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VagabondBlue

Reaction score
Hi everyone and thanks for allowing me to join your forums. So long story short I have always been interested in a career in health, (switched from physical therapy and sports medicine from time to time) and am looking to finally get started. I am currently 22 years old, yet I tried to attend school at 19 but my parents refused to sign my FASFA so i lost 32k worth of scholarship and loans. Couple that with health and legal issues and been a rough 3 years. Thankfully I landed a gig with the National Guard as a Musician (42R), and serving in the NG I get 100% paid for Tuition and Healthcare. So that means I can finally go back and try to do something other then dead end jobs for low pay. I am currently set to ship out in April (*edit, meant to type January lol, April is my birth year) and will be finished with training in July, so I will be 23 when the Fall Semester Rolls around.

I am worried that my age will look terrible if I try to apply to Medschool. I am going to try the easiest degree I can find with pre-reqs and be a year long student and take advantage of Clemps to try and get done in 2/12 years

So I can expect to be 25/26 when I apply to Medschool. I honeslty feel full of grief for what happened and not being able to go to school these past 4 years (2016 graduate), but I came from a financially illiterate household and in my state if your Parents don't sign your Fasfa and your under 23= No loans or scholarships.

What general advice could you offer, it could be any as I feel pretty overwhelmed and upset at how far I've fallen behind. Also any advice on working through a bachelors degree is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Almost 30 here and applying this cycle. Did undergrad straight out of high school but then spent 3 years in the Army on the active side. My experience so far, in both interviews and talking to other medical professionals, the age is a plus. You're 22 right now and have been through a lot, but I think a lot of maturity and growth happens in your mid-20s and it only makes you a stronger candidate. There's a myriad of cliche sayings out there "You'll be 26 no matter what so why not be 26 and applying..blah blah blah" which is true but I think in your case I'll go with the "Don't look back, we aren't going that way."

I mean you're a 42R *insert POG joke here* but every facet of the Army has its own total S*** that you have to go through. Leverage that experience, the being in a total crapshoot of a situation and being able to push through and find success. School becomes a lot easier once you put it in perspective to that. Keep moving and you'll get there.

Also, it might only be on the active side, but I would try to hop on the enlisted to medical program.

Almost 30 here and applying this cycle. Did undergrad straight out of high school but then spent 3 years in the Army on the active side. My experience so far, in both interviews and talking to other medical professionals, the age is a plus. You're 22 right now and have been through a lot, but I think a lot of maturity and growth happens in your mid-20s and it only makes you a stronger candidate. There's a myriad of cliche sayings out there "You'll be 26 no matter what so why not be 26 and applying..blah blah blah" which is true but I think in your case I'll go with the "Don't look back, we aren't going that way."

I mean you're a 42R *insert POG joke here* but every facet of the Army has its own total S*** that you have to go through. Leverage that experience, the being in a total crapshoot of a situation and being able to push through and find success. School becomes a lot easier once you put it in perspective to that. Keep moving and you'll get there.

Also, it might only be on the active side, but I would try to hop on the enlisted to medical program.

Thanks for reassuring me, I'm surprised they take it as a positive. I've been extremely stressed as of late due not being able to start anything substantial in my life these past 3 years that I haven't been able to sleep well at night, I'm just trying not to loose hope. I am currently looking at the Uniformed Service Medschool after I complete my undergraduate. It seems like a good gig, and aditionally, being given a stipen while a Medstudent will give me at least some economic mobility, as opposed to most 4 year med school students who rack up 6 figures in debt.

As for the Military side of things, as someone who intially wanted to try becoming an 18D I think this is a better route. I get a 20k sign on bonus and the ability to attend school imminently afterwards, but I don't know if the benefits include a housing stipend so I will probably have to find some way to earn money, but the 20k bonus can buy me time. Plus playing Guitar in the Military sounds like a really cool gig, nice to know those thousands of hours of practice actually ended up having some practical value beyond personal fulfillment.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're looking at USUHS, also look at the HPSP. HPSP allows you to attend any medical school in the US and big army will pay for it. Current monthly stipend is over $2k.

Stop worrying about age. Look at the SDN age poll here. Maturity from service plus decent grades and you will have absolutely no issue getting into medical school. Don't underestimate what your time in the military can add to your application.

Early 40's ex-military in my first year of med school. You're fine. Focus on getting good grades, clinical experience if you can, and volunteering.

A good application > getting there quickly.

If you fail to get in the first year you apply, you'll have wasted money applying and time waiting for the next cycle. Having said that, there's no value in dragging your feet on it either.

Focus hard on your prerequisites classes as you'll need them for the MCAT and beyond.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone and thanks for allowing me to join your forums. So long story short I have always been interested in a career in health, (switched from physical therapy and sports medicine from time to time) and am looking to finally get started. I am currently 22 years old, yet I tried to attend school at 19 but my parents refused to sign my FASFA so i lost 32k worth of scholarship and loans. Couple that with health and legal issues and been a rough 3 years. Thankfully I landed a gig with the National Guard as a Musician (42R), and serving in the NG I get 100% paid for Tuition and Healthcare. So that means I can finally go back and try to do something other then dead end jobs for low pay. I am currently set to ship out in April (*edit, meant to type January lol, April is my birth year) and will be finished with training in July, so I will be 23 when the Fall Semester Rolls around.

I am worried that my age will look terrible if I try to apply to Medschool. I am going to try the easiest degree I can find with pre-reqs and be a year long student and take advantage of Clemps to try and get done in 2/12 years

So I can expect to be 25/26 when I apply to Medschool. I honeslty feel full of grief for what happened and not being able to go to school these past 4 years (2016 graduate), but I came from a financially illiterate household and in my state if your Parents don't sign your Fasfa and your under 23= No loans or scholarships.

What general advice could you offer, it could be any as I feel pretty overwhelmed and upset at how far I've fallen behind. Also any advice on working through a bachelors degree is appreciated.

Not on the avenue of medical school (as I'm finishing up my last didactic year of pharmacy school) but I think the principle still applies. I did things a bit backwards than yourself but I think it'll ease your question about age playing a factor:

Worked odd end jobs after high school (welding to being a horse wrangler) for sometime. Ended up traveling overseas for a couple of years before finally going to school and earning my bachelors degree (Biochem). I worked while in school and was able to pay off my tuition but wanted to avoid future student debt.... So I signed on for active duty service in the army. Got out when I was 30 (medically retired) and started applying to schools. I found my interviews to go rather smoothly since most of the questions could easily be catered to experiences both in and outside of healthcare.

This stigma that you have to be a traditional student applying to specific programs is a myth worth dying in the grave. You didn't just sleep for a few years before starting school at 22. You worked, took care of "you" and ended up joining the NG as a musician (that'd be a great conversation starter BTW). Just focus on grades and check off the boxes on your preparation to med school. You'll be ok.

Age will not be a problem.....but your MCAT might be.......good luck!