Non Traditional Premed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biggpremed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking for some feedback about completing my premed requirements.

I am 24 and graduated in 2008. I have a business degree in supply chain management from Arizona State. I began my career right after graduation and have been working as a purchsing agent for the last two years. I currently live in Flagstaff, AZ. I want to keep the full time position I currently have while completing my premed requirements. This pretty much forces me to attend Northern Arizona University to complete all of the science courses required for premed.

I have a few concerns however:

• Do med schools care about the school you attended for premed as long as it is a four year university? If so how much of a factor is it in their admissions decision?
  • Does anyone have any feedback about the premed program at Northern Arizona University?
  • Would attending a formal post-bacc premed program vs. an informal premed program benifit me? How much? Why?
Any feedback would be helpful. I am planning on taking Biology and Chemistry this fall and working full time while also volunteering four hours a week at the hosptal so it should be nice and busy and I just want to make sure I am investing my time and effort wisely before jumping into this.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I am looking for some feedback about completing my premed requirements.

I am 24 and graduated in 2008. I have a business degree in supply chain management from Arizona State. I began my career right after graduation and have been working as a purchsing agent for the last two years. I currently live in Flagstaff, AZ. I want to keep the full time position I currently have while completing my premed requirements. This pretty much forces me to attend Northern Arizona University to complete all of the science courses required for premed.

I have a few concerns however:

• Do med schools care about the school you attended for premed as long as it is a four year university? If so how much of a factor is it in their admissions decision?
  • Does anyone have any feedback about the premed program at Northern Arizona University?
  • Would attending a formal post-bacc premed program vs. an informal premed program benifit me? How much? Why?
Any feedback would be helpful. I am planning on taking Biology and Chemistry this fall and working full time while also volunteering four hours a week at the hosptal so it should be nice and busy and I just want to make sure I am investing my time and effort wisely before jumping into this.

Thank you!

Welcome :)

As far as I know, medical schools don't care where you go to school for your pre-medical education as long as it is a four-year university. I don't think ranking matters at all - you have to take the same courses at every school.

I don't know much about the school you're attending, so I can't say much about how their pre-med program is, but essentially, you really don't need a "program". Just the set of pre-med courses you need to take, an advisor (although some would argue that this is not needed), and do the other requirements - EC's, shadowing, volunteering, etc.

As far as doing a program post-bacc, I hear some non-trads do it this way, mainly if they have the money, and obviously have already completed college. I am your age, but only did courses at a CC two years ago, so I'm going the traditional pick-a-major-and-do-premed-on-the-side route.

Anyway, I hope others will respond and give other advice/feedback to answer whatever I was lacking in this post. But, welcome :)