Non traditional student advice from early graduate students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pwrliftr

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello
If you’ve completed undergraduate school (pre-med) within 3 years and have successfully gotten into medical school right after (no gap year) please DM me, I have some questions I’d like to ask.

OR

If you completed your pre-med within 3 years and had to take a gap year, but you still successfully got into med school then please DM me as well.

Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello
If you’ve completed undergraduate school (pre-med) within 3 years and have successfully gotten into medical school right after (no gap year) please DM me, I have some questions I’d like to ask.

OR

If you completed your pre-med within 3 years and had to take a gap year, but you still successfully got into med school then please DM me as well.

Thank you very much.
Isn't the forum supposed to be for all of us to learn from each other, rather than using it as a sort of Craig's List to solicit personal advice?

Why not post your questions, without posting any identifiable information, and see what happens?

Reactions: 5 users
Hello

OR

Thank you very much.

I graduated in 3 years for personal reasons. I'm on my second gap year but matriculating US MD in July. I don't feel graduating early influenced my application one way or another.

Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't the forum supposed to be for all of us to learn from each other, rather than using it as a sort of Craig's List to solicit personal advice?

Why not post your questions, without posting any identifiable information, and see what happens?
I’m tryna get advice from someone one-on-one, which is much more preferable for me compared to talking to 3 different people and having half a conversation with each person

I’m tryna get advice from someone one-on-one, which is much more preferable for me compared to talking to 3 different people and having half a conversation with each person

What about three full conversions with 3 different people in a public forum so that all who follow can learn?

Reactions: 2 users
Well this is off-putting.

Reactions: 4 users
Oh, we get what you're tryna do -- that's not what this place is about. Why not go find an adviser and pay for one-on-one personal advice, if that's what you want, so you don't have to deal with the inconvenience of allowing others to learn from your questions in return for the benefit you receive of having a forum to go to to solicit such information? Hopefully, no one bites.

In fact, I wonder whether coming here and soliciting DMs is even consistent with the terms of service.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
Oh, we get what you're tryna do -- that's not what this place is about. Why not go find an adviser and pay for one-on-one personal advice, if that's what you want, so you don't have to deal with the inconvenience of allowing others to learn from your questions in return for the benefit you receive of having a forum to go to to solicit such information? Hopefully, no one bites.

In fact, I wonder whether coming here and soliciting DMs is even consistent with the terms of service.

Y'all are too much sometimes. OP do what you want, the internet police will always be here

Reactions: 1 user
Y'all are too much sometimes. OP do what you want, the internet police will always be here

He is doing what he wants. But community criticism for someone trying to solicit private advice, which sort of goes against the whole point posting a thread on this website, is more than reasonable to be expected. "Internet police" lmao as if he is forced to succumb to internet peer pressure.

Reactions: 3 users
He is doing what he wants. But community criticism for someone trying to solicit private advice, which sort of goes against the whole point posting a thread on this website, is more than reasonable to be expected. "Internet police" lmao as if he is forced to succumb to internet peer pressure.
Exactly!!! :) The value I (and, I suspect, many others) derive is from learning from the exchange of information, and, in return, I contribute when I think I have something to add.

To the extent that this becomes a Craig's List for people to just solicit people to communicate with them privately (for free, no less!), it loses its value for the vast majority of members, at which point people will leave, and there will be nobody left to send a DM to OP!!

Reactions: 1 users

Tbh it kinda sounds like that, but I truly am tryna get some help. It all good though

Tbh it kinda sounds like that, but I truly am tryna get some help. It all good though
I get that, and I think there very well might be some people who might have something to say to you. Why force them to engage in a one-on-one with you, which provides no benefit to the community, and why are you so reluctant to put your questions out here for all to see? After all, nobody knows who you are!!!!!

By the way, I see you started a similar thread back in October, and already received lots of good advice from several people, including a very knowledgeable adcom, so, at this point, with all due respect, this thread looks a little like a troll.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I get that, and I think there very well might be some people who might have something to say to you. Why force them to engage in a one-on-one with you, which provides no benefit to the community, and why are you so reluctant to put your questions out here for all to see? After all, nobody knows who you are!!!!!

By the way, I see you started a similar thread back in October, and already received lots of good advice from several people, including a very knowledgeable adcom, so, at this point, with all due respect, this thread looks a little like a troll.
Just to get this out the way- I know that I should take my time and make myself the best applicant possible, but I need help with this situation. Thank you

I’m a freshman bio major on a pre med track.

I was initially planning on finishing college within three years and going straight to med school right after(assuming I got in).

After talking to an advisor(giving me minimal help), I found out that the new MCAT is heavy on biochemistry, and that it is something I should know very well to get a good score(510+ IMO) on the MCAT.

Based on my current pace, I’m taking Bio 1&2 and chem1&2 in my first year. Then taking Orgo 1&2 and physics 1&2 my second year. Lastly my third year will be biochem 1&2.

Now with this path I won’t be able to take all my classes by the spring semester of my 2nd year which is when I should start studying for the MCAT.

I was thinking about doing summer classes, but the 2 main issues are: these prerequisites are already so difficult to take during a full semester, and I want to do summer internships and volunteer.

My second option is to complete college within three years> study and take the MCAT my third year(after taking all my classes, so I’m much better prepared), which means I’m going to med school after a year of graduating> allows me to have a “gap year” to do a masters degree and get more experience in the med field to help my application.

Has anyone successfully done a premed track within three yrs and gone to med school right after? (This is what I’m really trying to do)

Status
Not open for further replies.