MD Non-Traditional Student: Low GPA, High MCAT, Publications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

svfootball

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a non-traditional student who's spent time in medical research and will be applying to med school this fall. I have a low GPA due to poor choices in my past and two tough majors (biochemistry and neuroscience), but I'll have a high MCAT and at least 3 publications in respectable journals prior to applying (with possibly 2+ more submitted at the time of application). I work for a medical school now, so obviously I'll pull whatever strings I can here, but what are my chances at other places? Based on my practice MCATs, I'm shooting in the 40+ range. If I can show that my GPA is not indicative of my knowledge/skill set, do I have a shot? This is all I've ever wanted to do. I'm considering applying to MD/PhD programs as well, since my publications/research experience may help more with those. Possibly a Masters program as a fall back to strengthen my application?Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

GPA sub 3.0. MCAT should be ~40+. Publications in journals with impact factors of 3.8-11. Been out of school for 3 years and have total of 6 years of lab experience. I'll have LORs from the division chief and multiple PI/attendings here, as well as a well-respected chemistry researcher from my undergrad research. I'll also have posters/presentations at multiple clinical conferences. I'll have connections at a few medical schools, so hopefully those pan out fairly well. If not, I need a miracle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is justifying the low GPA a good idea, even if it means admitting I had an alcoholism problem? (sober now)

What about extra-curriculars, shadowing, (volunteering), anything? Without the first two, I'd say your chances are low.

The alcohol problem is an explanation, not an excuse. A high MCAT will not overcome a low GPA at any MD school, but will for most DO programs. A 3.0 GPA is a tad low for ours. You are not competitive for MD/PhD programs. Ultra-high MCAT and GPA are required for those.

Is justifying the low GPA a good idea, even if it means admitting I had an alcoholism problem? (sober now)