Non-traditional, take biochem before applying or after accepted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nephromancer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a non-traditional applicant that will be applying next year. I have my BS, a graduate degree, and have taken my MCAT. A few schools I'm applying to require biochemistry, which I never have taken. My question is whether or not it makes a difference to take biochem before I apply to this schools or if it is okay to take it after (if I am accepted and decide to go to one of them)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm a non-traditional applicant that will be applying next year. I have my BS, a graduate degree, and have taken my MCAT. A few schools I'm applying to require biochemistry, which I never have taken. My question is whether or not it makes a difference to take biochem before I apply to this schools or if it is okay to take it after (if I am accepted and decide to go to one of them)
I'd say before or after you apply would be the first choice, or after an early acceptance, but we often see folks here scrambling to fit it in, then finding local classes are full, too expensive, or incompatible with work or school schedules, or that on-line is not accepted, so plan accordingly. And what if you get pulled from a waitlist toward the end of the season?

I'd say before or after you apply would be the first choice, or after an early acceptance, but we often see folks here scrambling to fit it in, then finding local classes are full, too expensive, or incompatible with work or school schedules, or that on-line is not accepted, so plan accordingly. And what if you get pulled from a waitlist toward the end of the season?

Thank you, that's reasonable advice. I hadn't considered the possibility of getting in off the waitlist late and then not having time. However, you don't believe having completed biochemistry (or not), before applying will make any difference in the eyes of an admissions committee?

Thank you, that's reasonable advice. I hadn't considered the possibility of getting in off the waitlist late and then not having time. However, you don't believe having completed biochemistry (or not), before applying will make any difference in the eyes of an admissions committee?
If it's the only prerequisite you lack, or if you list it as Future coursework on the application, it won't make a difference, except to the very-few schools that require all prerequisites to be completed prior to application, or prior to January of the application cycle.