Non Traditional

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lexi1507

Mc Lovin
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,
let me give my story and let me know what you think. I started college and went for two years and ended up being dismissed. I then went to a community college, am now receiving my AA in Biology and will go back to that same university in the Fall. I applied for academic salvage which will basically delete my previous classes and GPA so the dismissal will be non-existent. My current GPA for the AA was a 2.5. I have been a full time student and worker in a hospital for the past 3 years. I plan to quit my job to go to school full time. My job is my distraction and my 2.5 GPA reflects my lack of trying, My grades suffered because I didnt have time to study, not because I studied and didnt understand.

I will now be going into a liberal arts program. Would I be able to get into Medschool with this degree if I statisfy all the science requirements?

Members don't see this ad.

Academic salvage does not exist on AMCAS. You must report all classes you have taken at a U.S. institution. On page 41 of the Applicant Information Guide, it says you must enter "Courses removed from your transcript or GPA as a result of academic bankruptcy, forgiveness, or similar institutional policies." Therefore, all of your grades will appear in the medical school application.

That is not to say that all is lost. You've got around two to three years before you finish your baccalaurate degree, right? Get nothing but A's and A-'s and you should be able to pull that GPA up. Medical schools understand a rocky start. You've owned up to your mistakes, reevaluated your goals, and set out to finish what you've started. Very adult. Now do well to show schools you were serious, score well (28+) on the MCAT, and do some solid volunteering/clinical work. You should be fine with a broad list of schools.

Best of luck,
-z

Thanks for the info. :D I didn't know they would still see the previous grades. I will be starting what I presume to be my third year this fall, so I have at least two to three years left. My advising office at the University and Community college is not very strong so they couldn't really answer me on what year I would be in because of the whole dismissal thing.

Would it look completely bad if I do no volunteer/Clinic work? I want to be able to focus on school completely.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info. :D I didn't know they would still see the previous grades. I will be starting what I presume to be my third year this fall, so I have at least two to three years left. My advising office at the University and Community college is not very strong so they couldn't really answer me on what year I would be in because of the whole dismissal thing.

Would it look completely bad if I do no volunteer/Clinic work? I want to be able to focus on school completely.

The year you are in school doesn't matter. Just finish your degree using however much time you need to do well.

You should get some sort of clinical exposure or volunteering experience. It can be done during summers with no risk to your studies, if you're worried. Sure, people have gotten in without it, but it never hurts and some schools unofficially require it. With regard to clinical experience, it's a good way to describe how you came to know you wanted to study medicine.

Well, it is essential that you have some clinical experience and complete some volunteer/community service work, but these, in my mind, are secondary to your school work. You already have your work cut out for you there, with a 2.5 GPA. Your prior course work may be "erased" due to your school's policy, but in spite of this, you are still required to list ALL post-secondary course work. Therefore, your actual GPA right now is 2.5. It doesn't matter what your undergraduate major is, so you can feel free to choose what inspires you; what does matter is your performance. You have some years left before you complete your degree, so I suggest that you trend A's from now on in fulltime semesters, particularly in science courses. You need to demonstrate that you have the academic ability to succeed in medical school.