Non-trads, making you feel old

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Armymutt25A

Cranky VSST OIC
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was on our class's FB page last night and looking at the profiles of the members - trying to memorize faces and names. One of the recent members is from my home town in Indiana, which is odd enough as it is. While looking at her profile, I noticed that we had a friend in common - my sister. Turns out the graduated HS together. It wouldn't be so bad if this was sister number 1, 2, or 3. Instead, it's the sister who is 12 years younger than me.

At least someone made me feel good at the reception - she didn't think I had yet reached 30.

Members don't see this ad.

Instead, it's the sister who is 12 years younger than me.

At least someone made me feel good at the reception - she didn't think I had yet reached 30.

HAHA that's pretty funny. My sister is 12 years older than me (and I'm 24), but most people think I'm the OLDER sister :confused:

Keep up whatever you're doing to stay looking young!!! lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Many of the kids in the class had not ever even heard of Jurassic Park. :eek:

:scared:

Anyway, I agree with Graduatedly. You must be doing something right!

Nothing to do with being a non-trad, but my sister who's 8 years older than me (I'm 23) used to get, "Is that your sister?" a lot. About our mom.

I'll be 32, most likely, before I apply Mizzou and I am very worried about the age gap but oh well, what can you do? I don't act my age so I guess that's one thing going for me! :)

This wasn't in vet school, but during my Masters here my professor was involved in teaching a freshman seminar class, and since she's a geneticist she featured movies that had plots including genetics.

One of the movies was Jurassic Park. Many of the kids in the class had not ever even heard of Jurassic Park. :eek:

Sadly I get most of the cultural references our professors use, whilst the youngsters around me are like "who? what? whatever!":(

I heard on tour at Tufts that the average age of matriculated students for the year before ('09) was 30.

and- pft! haven't seen Jurassic Park?! slackers. Husband and I recently watched it for the first time in years. Still good. ;)

Sadly I get most of the cultural references our professors use, whilst the youngsters around me are like "who? what? whatever!":(

I have the same issue with being the only one that gets cultural references but that's because the majority of the people I work with are not from America. I make these jokes that I think are really great and then everyone gives me funny looks because it makes no sense to them. I made some sort of joke about the Wizard of Oz when I was interviewing at Kansas and not a single person got it. It'll be fun to be with people who have actually seen all of the classics and Disney movies again :laugh:

I heard on tour at Tufts that the average age of matriculated students for the year before ('09) was 30.

I think the whole "average" age is slightly misleading. It is very, very rare, to have someone under 20 pursuing vet med. Yet there are lots of non-trads coming back to a second career. If you think of the math, if you have lots of 20 somethings and one fifty something, it's going to throw off the average age a lot. Even moreso if you have lots of non-trads in a class. You can't go much lower than 20, but you can go much higher than it.

Example:

Average age: 28.75 when most of the people in the 'class' are 22.

This is more myself making me feel old lol. This year my joints have started to crack allllllllll the time. it started with my knee, then hip, and now its like every joint in my body. I did think it was because I was becoming immobile and sitting at my desk all day studying. I started stretching a lot, but it keeps happening. Now that the weather is nice I have the motivation to take a break and work out. Today when I was working out, my joints were STILL cracking after 30 min!! it never stops!!!!!

they should publish both the median and the mean age! That would be much more useful.

I think the whole "average" age is slightly misleading. It is very, very rare, to have someone under 20 pursuing vet med. Yet there are lots of non-trads coming back to a second career. If you think of the math, if you have lots of 20 somethings and one fifty something, it's going to throw off the average age a lot. Even moreso if you have lots of non-trads in a class. You can't go much lower than 20, but you can go much higher than it.

Example:

Good point. I was never good at that whole mean median mode thing...;)

And getting old? meh. I'm way better now than I was ten years ago. :cool:

Example:

Yay statistics!

I'm not that old, but I do remember the 80s and that by itself makes me feel old compared to the 20 year olds (read: born in 1991) who did 3 years of undergrad and just started vet school with me.

Yesterday, our Parasit professor said her cat was named Toonces and asked if anybody knew the reference. 4 people, including myself, raised their hands. *sigh*

first of all I realized today that when I was little I learned how to type on a typewriter NOT a computer. Ouch.

second...I was out of school for a good number of years and on the very first day of my first quarter back I looked at the girl next to me and said "the professor really looks like Bob Saget" she gave me a confused look and said "I'm sorry, I don't know who that is"....then I replied "you know...Full House? America's Funniest Home Videos?" and she just shook her head no. good times...

I'm not that old, but I do remember the 80s and that by itself makes me feel old compared to the 20 year olds (read: born in 1991) who did 3 years of undergrad and just started vet school with me.

Yesterday, our Parasit professor said her cat was named Toonces and asked if anybody knew the reference. 4 people, including myself, raised their hands. *sigh*

Toonces ROCKS!!!!!!

I still have a best of SNL: Toonces and friends video that I break out when I am not feeling welll (physically or mentally). It is the only reason I retain my VCR.

Toonces know how to drive... .just not very well.... ahhhhh.

This wasn't in vet school, but during my Masters here my professor was involved in teaching a freshman seminar class, and since she's a geneticist she featured movies that had plots including genetics.

One of the movies was Jurassic Park. Many of the kids in the class had not ever even heard of Jurassic Park. :eek:

I just died a little inside :(

That means they were born the year I graduated high school. Now *I* feel old. Thanks a lot :cool: :D

I will say that when I tell people in my class my age, they are astounded. They all say, "I thought you were our age!" which always makes me feel better :p