Non- typical MCAT Review Class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MissionaryGirl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am in the midst of preparing for the April MCAT and I have a question about an MCAT review class that may be offered at my school. It is not the typical Kaplan or princeton review class. The teacher who will be teaching will be teaching it of his own accord provided he can get at least 10 students in the class. He will utilizing his own material, but he has taught princeton review classes before in which he claims his students did well on the MCAT. He actually teaches biology courses at the school I attend and from what I hear, he's an excellent teacher. The nice thing about it is that he's offering it at a cheaper rate, about $600 less that kaplan or princeton.

My question for you is do you think it would be wise to sign up for this class described or should I go with the already proven kaplan or princeton review? I really can only take one or the other due to cost and time constraints and I am trying to figure out which one. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

well i know many people that joined kaplan or princeton review mainly bacuase of the large amount of study materials and preparatory materials and practice tests that were available to them.

if u have the resources in terms of study materials and practice exams then i guess u could go for it, but u could also get some feedback from previous students of the teacher, which ever way u chose good luck!

MissionaryGirl, check your personal messages I just sent you one.

The main advantage to taking a Kaplan or Princeton Review course will be the diagnostic tests. AAMC tests are available online and elsewhere but I think taking practice tests on a saturday at 8:00 five times before taking the real thing is very helpful.
You get conditioned to sitting in a large room with a hundred other people making noises, coughing, being distracting, basically getting on your every nerve:oops: Its good preparation for the real MCAT. You get the tests scored and returned to you pretty quickly (including the essay part) so you know where to concentrate your studying. If you are good at standardized tests it probably wont matter too much, but if you want to improve your test-taking skills I think a review class is the way to go. Best of luck!