Non US Citizen lived in US for 8 years can I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MZAT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I am a Canadian citizen who has been living in Florida for 8 years now, I've went through middle, high school, I also currently attend University here in Florida as well and do get Brightfutures (scholarship for students in florida) as well as in-state tuition. I have recently been hearing that when applying to dental schools Canadian citizens/international students will only be considered by select schools; however, I have not heard of anything regarding how my case of a student who is a non us citizen who has been living in the states and has in-state permanent residency is treated. When applying to the University I currently attend I didn't have to apply as an international student for what ever reason. Could anyone clear this up, it would be much appreciated. Thank You.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok so I am a Canadian citizen who has been living in Florida for 8 years now, I've went through middle, high school, I also currently attend University here in Florida as well and do get Brightfutures (scholarship for students in florida) as well as in-state tuition. I have recently been hearing that when applying to dental schools Canadian citizens/international students will only be considered by select schools; however, I have not heard of anything regarding how my case of a student who is a non us citizen who has been living in the states and has in-state permanent residency is treated. When applying to the University I currently attend I didn't have to apply as an international student for what ever reason. Could anyone clear this up, it would be much appreciated. Thank You.

As long as you're a Green Card Holder, you can be accepted to all American dental schools. If you're a permanent resident, without a green card, you can't apply to a few schools, like Mississippi and some crazy southern states.

Ok so to clarify I do NOT have a green card so does that mean that I can still apply to the majority of schools and if so does that mean I am on a different boat than what I keep hearing about international students and don't have to worry about what schools will except aside from the "crazy southern states" lol. This whole situation is making me really nervous to think I spent 8 years of my life somewhere and to get crossed out by the country I loved is a heartbreaking thought.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok so to clarify I do NOT have a green card so does that mean that I can still apply to the majority of schools and if so does that mean I am on a different boat than what I keep hearing about international students and don't have to worry about what schools will except aside from the "crazy southern states" lol. This whole situation is making me really nervous to think I spent 8 years of my life somewhere and to get crossed out by the country I loved is a heartbreaking thought.

So basically youre an international student. Ima tell u like this. Unless you have 24+AA and 3.7+ GPA it will be VERY hard to get any acceptance. get that green card pronto

So basically youre an international student. Ima tell u like this. Unless you have 24+AA and 3.7+ GPA it will be VERY hard to get any acceptance. get that green card pronto

Well that's extremely false. It's difficult to get in, but it's not that crazy. Several of my low(er) stats friends from Canada got into UDM, Boston, and NYU.

Lol. I've heard some BS on this forum, but this tops it.

You do realize that 24AA is 99.5 percentile right?

umm no.

look at the statistics. based on 2008 ADEA data there were roughly 300 admitted international students out of about 14000 applicants thats 2 percent. and out of 300 50 from canada. So 50/14000...... you say thats not competitive?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=527533

Even though its that competitive but you shouldn't give the OP that kind of number without providing any proof. I have a friend with lower scores (international) got in last cycle..

If you don't have a Green card, you are considered an international. You should call some schools and ask them what to do. Some schools dont accept international. Lecom is one:)

umm no.

look at the statistics. based on 2008 ADEA data there were roughly 300 admitted international students out of about 14000 applicants thats 2 percent. and out of 300 50 from canada. So 50/14000...... you say thats not competitive?

UM NO.
You are looking at this from the wrong perspective. You are not comparing yourself to US residents. Schools will typically allow/reserve a set number of seats or at least a number around there for other types of applicants, ie INTERNATIONAL. Basically those 300 canadians are mostly competing against each other, not with US residents. 50/300 = 1/6 = .1666667%

Similarly I am a NY resident and if I were to use Columbia as an example.
2,365 applicants
80 enrolled

Are my chances 80/2,365? No... I am competing with instaters.
My chances are 34/X-number that is less than 2,365 since the book does not report the number of instate applicants...

Especially since it is pretty common nowadays for Canadians to apply to US schools, I don't think what I've said is too far off.

What we all have to understand here is the term competitiveness, which seems to get thrown around quite a bit here... Competitiveness is a term used to describe relativity. How competitive it is will depend on the other applicants that you are being compared to. If all the other 299 canadians have 3.99 GPA then yeah... you should probably get a 4.0 to stand a chance. Likewise... it could be true on the opposite end of the spectrum as well.

umm no.

You are so off your rocker.

1) It's 2011, so the stats are different.
2) You can't lump a specific person into one category, since it's more so based on stats vs. residency. Every single one of my Canadian friends with a 3.4+ got into at least 3 American schools (10+ people). Of those 14 000, I'm willing to bet way more than half of them were idiots and applied to in-state schools. I'm sure if you looked at the rates for each private school, the statistics would be higher.
3) Mathematically speaking, it's extremely misleading to use 50/14,000 as the "accepted percentage"..how do you know that there were only 50 Canadian applicants, which would translate to a 100% acceptance.
4) It's much more competitive for Canadians to get into Canada than it is to get into the United States. Don't get me wrong: it's still very hard for Canadians to get into the States, but for f*ck sakes, you do NOT need a 24AA and a 3.7+. If you'd like me to list the stats of my several traditional, white Canadian friends who got into the States with stats below those scores (GPAs 2.7 to 3.6, AA 18 to 24), then that would be all of them.

And I thought I was ridiculous when it came to discouraging applicants from applying. :laugh:

Am I the only one that is a little skeptical here...if you lived in Florida for 8 years, doesn't that make you a resident of the states?! I guess I don't know the rules.

Am I the only one that is a little skeptical here...if you lived in Florida for 8 years, doesn't that make you a resident of the states?! I guess I don't know the rules.

He's been here for 8 years... If I were him, I would've just went over and became an american already, no point holding on to canada!

He's been here for 8 years... If I were him, I would've just went over and became an american already, no point holding on to canada!

Canadians generally keep their citizenship for the free healthcare. I might give mine up if I get desperate enough.

Why didn't you get dual-citizenship?

Also I imagine people might hold onto their home citizenship not for the free healthcare or other social benefits but rather because they feel rather attached to their homeland? Not everyone is exactly jumping to become a U.S. citizen.

I've lived in Shanghai and Tokyo for a third of my life (and nearly stayed) and never did I want to revoke my Canadian citizenship in favour of my expatriate home.

Canadians generally keep their citizenship for the free healthcare. I might give mine up if I get desperate enough.

But that only applies if you go back to canada doesn't it?

I know someone who is a duo citizen... american/canadian... isn't that a better option?

Also I imagine people might hold onto their home citizenship not for the free healthcare or other social benefits but rather because they feel rather attached to their homeland? Not everyone is exactly jumping to become a U.S. citizen.

I've lived in Shanghai and Tokyo for a third of my life and never did I want to become a citizen of my expatriate home.

Reminds me of the people living in jersey city, they love manhattan but don't want to fork out the housing $$$.

Reminds me of the people living in jersey city, they love manhattan but don't want to fork out the housing $$$.

Maybe the analogy is lost on me but I don't see what citizenship has to do with the cost of living. :oops:

I've lived in Shanghai and Tokyo for a third of my life (and nearly stayed) and never did I want to revoke my Canadian citizenship in favour of my expatriate home.

You can only get American-Canadian dual citizenship by being born to an American parent

I wish it was that easy to be an American Citizen but unfortunately I was put in a situation by my family that really isn't to my advantage as of now I'm doing the best I can I went ahead and read up a few schools policies and most state that they consider either US citizens as well as permanent residents (which I am) the same, and International students different, hopefully I am right *cross my fingers*.

umm no.

You totally misinterpreted the data. All those numbers are total enrollees in each school not the accepted ones in a specific cycle. It is even worse, isn't it?

Last edited: