None of my friends want to study with me.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've been in the typical school system for i dunno 15 years, I should be a professional studier by now but I still have problems, I don't know what conditions I work good under or if I study better alone or with a partner. I need to get my crap together.

you should try to find a learning styles inventory to take. they gave us this in high school to help us determine what setting we learn best in. i actually do better in a relaxed/scattered environment with other inputs, like music going on. after the results of that test, one of my teachers suggested i listen to certain music while studying and then listen to the same music while taking a test. she's right; it really helps. but that was a small school where they knew i was trustworthy. i'm guessing my profs would probably prefer i not listen to an ipod while taking a test ;)

my high school put a lot of stock in learning styles. most of the classrooms had pillows on the floor for students who learned better relaxing rather than sitting at a desk. it was pretty cool.

i have a couple people in each class with whom i've exchanged email addresses. we just email each other if we have a question about a problem/concept. i find this is a great way to help each other out with little distraction. i hate when people call me on the phone. it interrupts whatever i have going on at the moment and makes me feel obligated to help right then.

Members don't see this ad.

I prefer to study alone. This way I don't have to listen to people talk about other people behind their backs, don't have to listen to them complain about their freinds and how bad their relationship is, how they are in madly love with their significan other, and the reason why I like to study alone the most is that I don't have to listen to people talking about how drunk they were last night (or last weekend or how durnk they will get this coming weekend).

Once you get a few years older (over 21), getting drunk isn't as attractive as it once was. :sleep:

Besides, being around girls who show off their cleavage (in trying to look cool and hot) is more annoying then anything. Once a famle becomes a woman and you have a hot body, then it is ok to show cleavage.

I can't study with people. as much for study groups, I only start a group so I can paly the professor. It is fun to share that you learned and find out questions from others that I would have never thought of on my own. After all i only have one fuctional brain. so i use study group as an motivation to study myself in advince. I got the best of both worlds. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I used to like to group-study...even if it meant 'teaching' others the material. I am interested in academic medicine, and believe that teaching is an art that takes experience to master. Tutoring/lecturing others helps me improve my confidence, communication skills, teaching skills, and grasp of the material :) . Moreover, the ones I tutor in the group reap the benefits of getting a condensed & thorough review of the material, and some extra help to build/polish their skills; however, I found that it takes me 3-4 times longer to explain others concepts they should already know had they studied at least 50% of the material! The burden of extra time I end up wasting far outweighs any 'social' benefits I get...So, I try to avoid group studying when I already know the material cold...:cool:

BUT! As wicked and self-interested as it may seem.:thumbdown: ..I seek group-study sessions at times right before exams to gauge where I stand among my peers. I am all premed, neurotic, & OCD when it comes to exams and grades :eek: ; no matter how well I am prepared, I get an adrenalin rush and a sense of extreme competition. Not that I take pleasure in others' pain/academic troubles, during group-study sessions right before exams, it just helps ease the stress to know that on a relative scale you're quite well prepared compared to your peers...(especailly since most grades are curved...:smuggrin: )

well said :smuggrin:

I have not read the entire post.

As a general rule, people would rather study with others if they think there is something more to gain from it than studying by themselves during same amount of time.

A person usually would like to study in group if

1. Others in the group know significantly more and there is significant benefit from studying with them.

2. There is plenty of time to study, so sometimes it is good to have leisurely study time.

3. One knows a lot more than others so he/she likes to teach AND there is no pressure to studying for upcoming exam.

Generally, studying in group is inefficient and most of time not much progress is made.

The best thing is to go to the library together, study privately in a carrel. Don't disturb each other or ask questions while they are concentrating. Take a break together every 2 hours or so, and discuss or ask questions during the break. There is nothing worse than ruining one's concentration while they are studying. Generally it takes few minutes to get back to same level of concentration and train of thought once it is interrupted. If you ask question or talk to them every 15 or 20 minutes, they won't like to study with you.

I definitely can not study with other people, its not that I don't like them, its that my tendency is to be social instead of solitary so when around other people I like to chill and talk etc, not focus on biochem or othersuchnonsense. I have to self-impose solitary confinement to be really productive, I sit at home in a room that has nothing to do that isn't studying with an ipod on so I can't hear neighbors hangin outside or phones ringing . . . its rather pathetic really. I wasn't this much of a study nazi in undergrad, I used to study with the TV on my living room couch and other friends, but then again I only really studied right around tests in undergrad. Anywho, I hate turning people down when they ask to group study, but it really is just a waste of my time cause I am soooo much less efficient in a group, and frankly I don't have any spare time in medschool, and if I do I'm going to spend it sleeping/drinking/with my hubby/staring at a wall rather than on inefficient study time just because I like the person that wants to study with me. So, OP, they probably are like most of us on this board and are just not into groups study, and if for some reason they are saying no because they don't like you . . . then there's nothing you can do except realize that you wouldn't want them to be your friend anyway if they aren't cool enuf to want to hang with you.