Nonpre-med pre-med regrets?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted751227

I had an interesting discussion with one of my fellow premed friends about a week ago. Both of us are currently seniors and applying this cycle, and we were talking about our biggest regrets during undergrad not related to the actual process of premed (e.g. wish I didn't take that class that I got a B- in). He regrets that he felt that he had never had fun in college, was studying all the time, never went out- he put it as not having a typical college experience. Personally, I regret not having the time to pursue a meaningful relationship with someone in college and not having the chance to take more interesting classes in things like history and English because of my premed/major reqs.

Do any of y'all applying this cycle also have the same type of regrets? Even better, are you trying to address them now?

Members don't see this ad.

I wonder if there's any correlation between the amount of fun a pre-med has during college and odds of acceptance.

And no, I don't mean going to a party school and spending all four years there like Bluto in Animal House, but a comparison of pre-meds like your friend, and others who were able to do what they loved, and loved what they did.

I had an interesting discussion with one of my fellow premed friends about a week ago. Both of us are currently seniors and applying this cycle, and we were talking about our biggest regrets during undergrad not related to the actual process of premed (e.g. wish I didn't take that class that I got a B- in). He regrets that he felt that he had never had fun in college, was studying all the time, never went out- he put it as not having a typical college experience. Personally, I regret not having the time to pursue a meaningful relationship with someone in college and not having the chance to take more interesting classes in things like history and English because of my premed/major reqs.

Do any of y'all applying this cycle also have the same type of regrets? Even better, are you trying to address them now?

Reactions: 1 users
Personally, I regret not having the time to pursue a meaningful relationship with someone in college and not having the chance to take more interesting classes in things like history and English because of my premed/major reqs.

Sorry to hear that man :(

I don't think a premed process exists, and I don't even know how someone becomes a premed. Maybe my sample is skewed but many of my friends majored in anything but biology, pursued activities they enjoyed (and enjoyed life in general), crushed the MCAT, and had a successful application cycle.

I think the only difficult part is the MCAT. But studying for the MCAT shouldn't be stressful nor insane (in the sense of studying 8-10 hours a day over several months). There is zero reason to major in biology and taking several intensive bio labs well beyond the prerequisites.

Whatever this premed process is, I don't think it's worth giving up the youth for mindless studying when easier and more fun activities and majors can be pursued.

Hindsight is 20/20 sure but just my $0.02 for anyone reading this.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

"To regret your past is to deny your present." I don't know who said that but you should never regret anything because you are the sum of your experiences, if that makes any sense. You'll have more time than you think in med school to pursue outside interests, and as long as you stay open minded, med school can be rather enjoyable. Hell you can even do the relationship thing if you want.

I felt the same way during my (first) senior year in undergrad (I spent five years in college completing two majors - economics being the second). I worked by butt off in my biochemistry major, only to realize during my second senior year that i missed out on alot of things. Since then (2012), I've been out of school experiencing life to make up for it.

I regret taking Evolutionary Biology, but I'll use it as a learning experience.

@Vulfington I also regret not having a perfect romantic partner that will understand my busy life style and will accommodate her schedule around mine.

Do a lot of people hook up in undergrad as significant others? The ones that I have gotten wedding invites to were usually involved with Greek life, church, or some other type of occasion outside of college courses with regular attendance.

@Vulfington I also regret not having a perfect romantic partner that will understand my busy life style and will accommodate her schedule around mine.

Do a lot of people hook up in undergrad as significant others? The ones that I have gotten wedding invites to were usually involved with Greek life, church, or some other type of occasion outside of college courses with regular attendance.
no clue

I had the opportunity to take a lot of challenging courses, but there were definitely several that I did not take to make my course load less overwhelming (ex: pharm and microbio). I really regret not taking them. I know I'll get this material in medical school (if I get in), but I wish there was less emphasis on perfect grades in college. It creates a lot of unnecessary stress and sometimes (like in this case) takes away from the learning process.

I regret not playing club water polo the most.

Edit: I am now taking a pharm course and joining the water polo team at my grad school! :)

Last edited:
This is why I urge all pre meds to take at least one gap year so that you have some time to enjoy yourself and gain valuable life experience. You're pursuing a career.

The 22 year old who stressed out and had no life in college is going to be no more successful than the 26 year old who traveled the world for 6 months post grad and worked a job for a few years before going to med school. Hell, I'd much rather hangout with the 26 year old with some cool stories other than how he managed an A in ochem

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
i honestly don't regret anything in the sense of "non-premed premed regrets"

why?

because i never conformed to the asinine notion that being premed = limiting experiences that you canwantshould have in college. its ridiculous to think that just because you need to do x y and z, you cant pursue w, r s or enjoy t, u, v.

"premeds" complain about lack of social life, extreme pressure, studying all the time, volunteering, lab etc etc. and it makes no sense to me at all.

Even working two jobs thru undergrad, in the end, I still made time for my hobbies, relationships, and even had leftover downtime where I would play videogames/read/browse the internet...the list goes on and on

Reactions: 8 users
If you don't get in this cycle, then use your gap year(s) to pursue a meaningful relationship. And hell, work FT (doesn't have to be related to medicine) and save up to take whatever classes you want. I beat this narrative down a lot, but gap years can be the most rewarding thing other than getting a degree. Hell, even as much as getting an acceptance. Your youth won't be here forever; however, med schools will be. Keep that in mind OP

Sorry to hear that man :(

I don't think a premed process exists, and I don't even know how someone becomes a premed. Maybe my sample is skewed but many of my friends majored in anything but biology, pursued activities they enjoyed (and enjoyed life in general), crushed the MCAT, and had a successful application cycle.

I think the only difficult part is the MCAT. But studying for the MCAT shouldn't be stressful nor insane (in the sense of studying 8-10 hours a day over several months). There is zero reason to major in biology and taking several intensive bio labs well beyond the prerequisites.

Whatever this premed process is, I don't think it's worth giving up the youth for mindless studying when easier and more fun activities and majors can be pursued.

Hindsight is 20/20 sure but just my $0.02 for anyone reading this.

I mean, it sure helped me on the MCAT... but I enjoy biology :)