Nontrad Ask Me Anything (AMA) Threads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Humdinger

Livin the Dream
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Below is a list of Nontrad Ask Me Anything (AMA) threads sorted by start date.
If you have additional threads to suggest, please post them below and they will be added to the list. Your post will be deleted once the directory is updated. Thanks to all our members who have contributed AMAs to our community!

You may also wish to check out the Premedical Student AMA directory (there is overlap).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can relate to that experience. I've been an OT for 16 yrs but currently finishing up 1 more semester of pre-reqs at a local university in TX. I'm not so sure that fragmented transcripts are as important as finishing up the coursework. It would show admissions how committed you are in finishing up what is needed to satisfy the prerequisites. Plus the GPA is only 1 "leg" of a 3-legged stool, the other 2 being your experience and your MCAT score. Just a thought.

Reactions: 2 users
Just got a reject from NW Post Bac. Super bummed but have already enrolled in U of C for premed requirements. Any advice for a non-trad just starting out on her dream to become a physician? Have taken Cel bio and genetics this quarter. Btw, to provide some background I have a computer science background worked in consulting for 7 years, also have a Post Grad diploma in Financial services. High school GPA of 4. Undergrad in Engineering 2.8, Financial service 3.4. Brings me to a CGPA of 3.55. Any and all advice is welcome.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I am a Canadian ( Quebec) former paramedic ( it is a college degree here, but not university). I have a 3 years bachelors degree in social sciences with a 3.77 gpa which would go to 3.82 if the 3 worst grades where taken off. I do not have the traditional science prerequistes but I have work for more then 3 years as a paramedic ( not an emt, though i am not an advanced care paramedic). I was wondering if any Us schools would consider my application. I will apply to some Canadian Schools too. Thanks for your help!

I’m a non traditional student with 3 teenagers and a husband who has been accepted. For scholarship purposes with my two oldest we can’t all move. I’ll be moving alone and we will be maintaining two households during my time in medical school. Any advice on how to go from two incomes to one and one set of house expenses to two? Did any of you meet with school and ask to change COA etc???

Hi, I am a non-traditional student who has graduated from my undergraduate in the US 5 years ago with a BS in Biology (GPA of 3.61). Recently finished my graduate degree in Master of Science in Medical Anthropology from London with a merit (61.9 an equivalent to B in the US). I'm going to apply this year and will be taking the MCATs this August. I just have a question regarding the recommendation letter and the transcripts. My professors from my graduate school are willing to write me the letters but the institution doesn't have a prehealth advisory committee. So I can only assume that they'll be sending the letters individually. So how many letters should I send in? Or should I somehow find a way to get them to compile them into a letter packet? Also, I read the AMCAS application manual but the bit about the foreign transcript confuses me. Will I be able to submit my graduate transcript as well? Thanks!

Each school has their own requirements for Letter of recommendations. Use that as a guide. I suggest getting at least 4 Letters from different types of people.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,

I am a Canadian ( Quebec) former paramedic ( it is a college degree here, but not university). I have a 3 years bachelors degree in social sciences with a 3.77 gpa which would go to 3.82 if the 3 worst grades where taken off. I do not have the traditional science prerequistes but I have work for more then 3 years as a paramedic ( not an emt, though i am not an advanced care paramedic). I was wondering if any Us schools would consider my application. I will apply to some Canadian Schools too. Thanks for your help!

You'll have to take the traditional prerequisites (Gen Chem, Biology, orgo, physics) and perform well academically. The MCAT would be a must as well. Some advanced natural science courses would also be required, depending on the specific school (generally one or two of cell bio, microbiology, biochem, or genetics).

I'm coming off of 6 years without school but am trying to get back to collage so that I can get my degree and attend med school. will those 6 years hurt me greatly in the process.

You'll likely be asked during interviews why you took 6 years off. As long as the explanation is reasonable, not--> you been in jail for committing a crime, etc and as long as you get the BA and have the competitive GPAs/MCAT/ECs, it shouldn't be a big red flag. Adcoms understand life happens...

You'll likely be asked during interviews why you took 6 years off. As long as the explanation is reasonable, not--> you been in jail for committing a crime, etc and as long as you get the BA and have the competitive GPAs/MCAT/ECs, it shouldn't be a big red flag. Adcoms understand life happens...
thanks. I was worried that the gap might prove a problem. my gpa was not the best but I know I can pull it up and by the time my MCAT come around , I will have it handled.

This might be a dumb question, but I can't find the answer anywhere. I know med schools typically only accept classes that are less than 10 years old. If I went to college 10+ years ago, are those classes still used to calculate my gpa? Or do I leave them off my AAMCAS entirely?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got a reject from NW Post Bac. Super bummed but have already enrolled in U of C for premed requirements. Any advice for a non-trad just starting out on her dream to become a physician? Have taken Cel bio and genetics this quarter. Btw, to provide some background I have a computer science background worked in consulting for 7 years, also have a Post Grad diploma in Financial services. High school GPA of 4. Undergrad in Engineering 2.8, Financial service 3.4. Brings me to a CGPA of 3.55. Any and all advice is welcome.

The better option is to continue with computer science or financial services, because of having experience and good GPA in the field. But if you still want to be a physician its never too late than ever, you can start with paramedics studies where you can learn some of the basic medication stuffs.
All the best.

I'm coming off of 6 years without school but am trying to get back to collage so that I can get my degree and attend med school. will those 6 years hurt me greatly in the process.

At the interview, be ready to face the foremost question - Why you took 6 years gap? Or what were you doing in these 6 years?
Given a reasonable answer there would be no difficulty since in every person's life there used to be mishappenings even interviewer understands that. So, try to be honest and reasonable.

Hey! First time poster on sdn here.

I graduated UG in 2017 and finished my first year in a 2 year graduate program in religious studies. Found myself in a financial bind this past spring and just started working fulltime that pays well in order to start earning money to pursue my dreams.

I've always had an interest in medicine and have been seriously considering applying to med school in the next few years since this past January. The only issue is that bc of my job I can only take CC classes to fulfill the necessary science prereqs.

I'm hoping to apply in state (TX) and get residency soon and wanted to know a few things:

1. Would CC classes be okay when I apply as long as I have excellent grades, MCAT, volunteering? I work, so the most I can do rn is volunteer and maybe lead/co-lead a company volunteer event that's healthcare specific.

2. After finishing these prereqs, would pursuing a postbacc/MSTP be worth it to show I can handle graduate-level science courses? If so, I'm hoping to save enough money from the CC classes to pursue that.

I would greatly appreciate any and all insight!! I've researched different specialities, residencies, clinical and volunteering experiences on this page for months but would love to get some constructive feeback.

Also, not sure if this is important but my UG GPA was 3.72 in a non-science major and minor, and in high school I did a pre-med program my senior year that allowed me to shadow different physicians (mainly)/medical personnel in a variety of fields.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Good evening, first post here!!

Question for everyone, I currently have a bachelors from Ohio Dominican University in Business Administration. I however want to pursue medical school and am well aware that I need the math and science but here lies my question. Would it be looked down upon if I took these classes at Columbus State Community College? For me it will be cheaper as most will be paid out of pocket.

Thank you,

Corey

Question for everyone, I currently have a bachelors from Ohio Dominican University in Business Administration. I however want to pursue medical school and am well aware that I need the math and science but here lies my question. Would it be looked down upon if I took these classes at Columbus State Community College? For me it will be cheaper as most will be paid out of pocket.

Thank you,

Corey
to the best of my knowlge . it should not matter where to take the classes as long as you have all the requirments.

Very surprised they rejected you. It kinda makes me wonder who is the post bacc programs for, if they want a GPA x<3.0?
I thought post bacc programs were for those who need the science classes or maybe messed up in undergrads but want to prove they have what it takes.

I would take the classes as a non-degree seeking at the university. Not sure if community college courses are “frowned” upon.

Thank you,

Corey
I was considering the same thing but I have been told they don’t like CC courses because they doubt their “rigor” and I agree! For me it was about cost. If you have no choice! I would still take them there but with all As. You can always explain during interviews or on your application. At the end of the day, you can’t apply anywhere without the necessary courses and high MCAT of course.

Last edited:
I would like to have a thread about BAD ADVICE GIVEN ME.

I graduated college in 2005, did business and other things had a family, post bacc I began in 2015. I have gotten some good advice and a lot of bad advice which could help regular and nontraditional students.

I took the Exam Crackers Online Course ---big mistake, found it too laid back and a big waste of time, I cancelled after a week and only got back a small fraction of the money. Worse is the administrator there (who I later found out has no medical background) told me if I don't take my MCAT by April it would be too late. First, that's not true, many schools given automatic secondary applications and don't look at them till September, which means even an August MCAT would be fine for many schools. Second, DON'T TAKE THE MCAT RUSHED, no miracles ever happen.

Reactions: 1 users
Below is a list of Nontrad Ask Me Anything (AMA) threads sorted by start date.
If you have additional threads to suggest, please post them below and they will be added to the list. Your post will be deleted once the directory is updated. Thanks to all our members who have contributed AMAs to our community!

You may also wish to check out the Premedical Student AMA directory (there is overlap).

How about adding NonTrad student in Caribbean School ?