Nontrad Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scoutnj19

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I've posted this on other sections, but I think there is a different readership here, so I'd love any input you all are willing to give me!

Just got MCAT scores back yesterday, so now I have all the 'numbers' pieces of the puzzle...

MCAT: 29Q (PS-9 BS-10 VR-10)
GPA: ~3.65 for both science and overall

I have a BA in Communication Arts and a minor in business administration and spent the last two years doing a self-directed post-bacc program at a college in Massachusetts and the University of Kansas.

My wife and I moved to Kansas last summer (she grew up here) and I plan on applying EDP to U of Kansas Med.

If you're interested in seeing the EC part of my application, I'll save space here and post the link to my mdapps profile that has them listed there: http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=11095

Again, I appreciate any information you all could provide me!

Members don't see this ad.

Some people will say that "you missed the 30 cut-off", but as long as you're not applying to the top 10s, I think your application will still get a look. You're going to have to apply broadly: your state schools, OOS friendly public schools, a lot of private schools with MCATs around 29-31. It all depends on who is looking at your application, but you should have a shot.

FYI, I would highlight your work at the Connector in your personal statement. Most traditional premeds have volunteer experience, but work in public health is highly regarded by med schools (I'm in health policy in DC). Most med school interviews ask about public health, and if you can stump your interviewer, you get a gold star on your application.

I appreciate the reply.

Here's a dilemma, though... I am highly interested and committed to going to U of Kansas, as my wife grew up here and we have family, etc in the area.

Do I stand a chance applying EDP? Some people say 'dont put all your eggs in one basket' but at the same time, I meet the 'suggested criterion' that U of Kansas suggests for EDP applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, I glazed over the EDP part of your original post.

If you qualify for Kansas residency, and your numbers fit theirs, then it's a great idea. EDP is usually a bad option unless a candidate knows exactly where he/she wants to go, but in your case, I'd go for it.

Best of luck!

If the average MCAT for people who get into med school is 30-31, I would think there must be many who scored below 30, considering all those that score 33+.

I spoke w/Kansas a few cycles ago as an out of state applicant. They had a stronger preference for instate candidates than most other public schools that I spoke with -- i.e. looking for much higher than average scores for out of state applicants than their own (per MSAR) averages -- they said something about the mission of the school being to educate Kansas residents in medical training.

You should have a good shot as an instate candidate with those numbers, provided the interview goes OK

ALWAYS go and meet face to face with someone in admissions at the school before trying for EDP.
Take all your numbers and scores with you and ask them to be painfully honest about your chances for EDP at their school.
If they don't give you an enthusiastic thumbs up, don't do it.