NonTrad Friendly Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calliMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have suggestions on schools that might be more Non-trad friendly? I've read several threads where people suggest applying to these types of schools but I have no clue on how to go about identifying them. I know someone mentioned in another thread that the U. of Miami fits the bill... anything else? :)

Members don't see this ad.

I was told that UVA is NOT Nontrad friendly. When someone asked their Dean of Admissions what they thought about Nontrads at an open forum for pre-med students, the question ended up getting pushed to the side and the topic was changed.

I suspect there are several different definitions of "non-trad friendly":

1) Only counts your last X years or your last X credits in your GPA.
2) Weighs ECs and life experience more heavily, stats less heavily.
3) Is OK with your undergrad studies being part-time, as long as you can prove you were working and/or raising a family.
4) Has a flexible program with potential for time off for having kids, or maybe offering a curriculum that is less dense but longer (though I don't think there are the latter kind of schools in North America?)
5) Some might say schools that don't require the MCAT? (Are there any in the U.S.? There are a few in Canada).

Can anyone think of other definitions?

I can vouch that McGill has 1 and 3. This probably isn't helpful, sorry... :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
To me, non-trad friendly means that there are students (plural!) over 30 attending the school, and that they consider non-trads over age 30 independent for institutional aid purposes. Naturally, I only have a select list because I didn't apply to or interview at every school in the country, but other people can feel free to add more to my lists if they want. I would broadly classify schools into three categories:

Some schools that have a lot of non-trads and are financially friendly to non-trads would include Miami, Baylor, Chicago, Pitt, UAB, and Yale. I would rate these schools as being very non-trad friendly. Pitt in particular even has an Old Fart's Club. ;)

Some schools that have a lot of non-trads but that do not consider non-trads independent for institutional aid are USF, Case, Cleveland Clinic, U Mich, AECOM, and Harvard. These schools are also non-trad friendly, but they're going to cost you big-time, which is not so nice for older non-trads who have parents with assets. If you are not a FL resident, don't waste your time applying to USF, because they take very few people from OOS.

Schools that do not have a lot of non-trads nor do they give non-trads independent institutional aid status include Wash U, UF, U Penn, Vanderbilt, and Duke. I wouldn't go as far as to say that non-trads shouldn't apply to or attend these schools, but if you're around age 30, you will almost certainly be the oldest person in your class, and you WILL have to provide them with your parents' financial info. These also tend to be very stat-driven schools in my experience.

Depending on how you feel about joining the military, I would recommend looking at USUHS. I was a non-traditional applicant 6 1/4 years out of the Naval Academy and I found the reception at USUHS to be the best of all the medical schools to which I applied. A USUHS class is typically older than the average medical school and a great deal of incoming 1st years are already married with kids.

The "rub" is the military service. For me, it meant continuing what I already wanted to do. For you, it may mean something else.

As a person who is about to graduate and who has been asked to interview incoming students, I think be non-traditional gives you an advantage during the interview process. You’ll be more well-rounded and experienced and that comes through in an interview.

QofQuimica said:
To me, non-trad friendly means that there are students (plural!) over 30 attending the school, and that they consider non-trads over age 30 independent for institutional aid purposes. Naturally, I only have a select list because I didn't apply to or interview at every school in the country, but other people can feel free to add more to my lists if they want. I would broadly classify schools into three categories:

Some schools that have a lot of non-trads and are financially friendly to non-trads would include Miami, Baylor, Chicago, Pitt, UAB, and Yale. I would rate these schools as being very non-trad friendly. Pitt in particular even has an Old Fart's Club. ;)

Some schools that have a lot of non-trads but that do not consider non-trads independent for institutional aid are USF, Case, Cleveland Clinic, U Mich, AECOM, and Harvard. These schools are also non-trad friendly, but they're going to cost you big-time, which is not so nice for older non-trads who have parents with assets. If you are not a FL resident, don't waste your time applying to USF, because they take very few people from OOS.

Schools that do not have a lot of non-trads nor do they give non-trads independent institutional aid status include Wash U, UF, U Penn, Vanderbilt, and Duke. I wouldn't go as far as to say that non-trads shouldn't apply to or attend these schools, but if you're around age 30, you will almost certainly be the oldest person in your class, and you WILL have to provide them with your parents' financial info. These also tend to be very stat-driven schools in my experience.

Hi there,
If you scan some of the previous threads, you will come across some posts by Efex who is non-traditional, applied to a huge number of schools and ended up with something like 28 acceptances. The point to this is that there really are NO medical schools that are not open to non-traditional students nor are they not "friendly" to non-traditional students if you are well-qualified for admission.

I applied to six schools and was accepted by all six. I can tell you that I am more non-traditional than most anyone on this board and I applied back in 1997. I had a very good MCAT score, very competitive undergrad GPA and a very good graduate GPA. I also had solid extra curricular activites (including research) and good letters of recommendation from people who knew me very well. In short, I presented a very strong and complete application package. Efex came behind me and did the same with incredible success.

Choose schools that you would like to attend and make sure that you have the grades and MCAT score to be competitive at these schools before you apply. Average GPAs and MCAT scores are available for all of the medical schools in the United States (remember these are averages). If you want to attend medical school, make yourself competitive (even if it takes a few years) and apply. Trying to figure out if a school is "friendly" or not is a huge waste of time and is likely not to be very useful. Back in 1997, I didn't know or care about friendliness. I was looking for a good school with a solid curriculum, diverse class and good clinical teaching. In the end, I chose a school where I knew I could do well and who offered me a full-ride tuition scholarship. It turns out that the better I did in my classes, the more friendly everyone became especially residency program directors.

njbmd :)

calliMD said:
Does anyone have suggestions on schools that might be more Non-trad friendly? I've read several threads where people suggest applying to these types of schools but I have no clue on how to go about identifying them. I know someone mentioned in another thread that the U. of Miami fits the bill... anything else? :)

Because there are many definitions of what "Nontrad" is, I imagine there are different opinions as to what is considered nontrad friendly. My definition includes those perks that make it easier for those with families to balance work and school and includes the following:

1) Is there good and safe on campus family housing?

2) Am I considered an independant student for financial aid purposes?

3) Is there daycare or before/after care available on campus?

4) Are the lectures taped and/or available on line along with class notes?

5) Is attendence in class mandatory?

6) Would this school allow me time off without penality, for time off to care for a sick parent or child?

7) How do the students in MY social situation feel about the school?

8) Do students with families graduate on time and if not, how is the delay of graduation looked upon by the administration?

9) Is there an orginazation on campus for nontraditional students?

If I think of any more of the questions I generally ask, I'll be sure to add them to this thread! ;)

njbmd said:
Trying to figure out if a school is "friendly" or not is a huge waste of time and is likely not to be very useful.

Agree with this. Virtually all schools these days will have some nontrads in each class.
I still personally think that by many nontrads appllying to the same handful of so called "friendly" schools, they really just decrease their odds of being a unique applicant, and because no med school is going to eliminate the diversity benefit by accepting an inordinate number of nontrads. Having a few adds a unique component to the class. Accepting a whopping percentage potentially gives the school a negative rep with the younger, traditional crowd. But that's my own take.
Better to apply broadly and assume all schools are friendly, it increases your and all other nontrads odds.

One additional question, do you have any nontraditional students that I can talk to about your school.

njbmd said:
Trying to figure out if a school is "friendly" or not is a huge waste of time and is likely not to be very useful.
Law2Doc said:
Agree with this. Virtually all schools these days will have some nontrads in each class.
I personally find this opinion a bit narrow minded. Nontrads depending on how you define it, WILL have different "issues" from other students beyond those of just attending class, passing boards, ect. I find it a similar consideration as that of a Seventh Day Aventist NEEDING a Loma Linda, or a Jew NEEDING AECOM, or even a minority NEEDING Howard.

For some people, social environments play a HUGE role in their ability to adjust to med school. And finding a school with people with similar experiences be it cultural, social, or religious can make a BIG difference to some students.

RxnMan said:
You can try PM-ing MeowMix. You can also look at OldPremeds and talk to Old Man Dave.

I'm Pathdr2b on that site. Yep, very useful info there! :thumbup:

I'm 32 and applied this yea. Looking at your list of schools, I'd like to suggest that you consider swapping out UMDNJ - New Jersey and NYU with other schools in the area such as Einstein. My general impression is that NYU has a very young student body, and given the scandals going on there, the UMDNJ is focused on folks with close ties to NJ. I know of several older out of state students enrolled at Einstein.

You might also want to consider midwestern schools such as Case, Pitt, etc which are highly ranked, friendly towards older students, and less popular/competitive than the Cali schools.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
1Path said:
I personally find this opinion a bit narrow minded.

Actually 1Path, I'm not sure who is missing the target here. As others in this thread have suggested, sure, there are perhaps a variety of definitions of what one might be looking for in a nontrad friendly school, and responses can be different based on such. But given that the OP is 29 in her MDApplicants profile and has a tentative list of 30 schools all over the country, I took her "non-trad friendly" question to mean "what school do nontrads have the best odds of getting into", or "which schools take the most nontrads". I believe a number of us answered the post along this line as well. Thus my response is not "narrow minded" and I stand by my response. If the OP has other concerns besides admissions then other responses may be warranted. :)

1Path said:
I personally find this opinion a bit narrow minded. Nontrads depending on how you define it, WILL have different "issues" from other students beyond those of just attending class, passing boards, ect. I find it a similar consideration as that of a Seventh Day Aventist NEEDING a Loma Linda, or a Jew NEEDING AECOM, or even a minority NEEDING Howard.

For some people, social environments play a HUGE role in their ability to adjust to med school. And finding a school with people with similar experiences be it cultural, social, or religious can make a BIG difference to some students.

Hi there,
Narrowminded or not, I can promise you that you are not going to find many medical schools that will fit all your list of demands. Adjustment to medical school is more on the part of the applicant/matriculant rather than the school that one attends. Most schools have note services, taped lectures etc but you are not going to find many places that will allow you to take time off for sick children, sick parents, etc without impunity.

Everyone of my classmates with families (male or female) graduated without needing anything special beyond a good curriculum. They did some research, found what they needed for their families and got the job done. We had a very close-knit and supportive organization called "Students with Families" with a faculty advisor who made sure that plenty of information was out there for students with or without families who wanted it.

One of the fortunate things was that my class, both traditional and non-traditional, bonded together easily and supported each other. In the end, being tradional or non-traditional made no difference and makes no difference. We are all physicans pursuing our craft. All medical students have more in common than not.

Most schools will attempt to accomodate your needs but they are not going to cater to you because you have a family. You have to figure out what you need and make the necessary arrangements (I am sure you already know this since you are a smart person) so that you can get your academics done.

njbmd said:
Hi there,
Narrowminded or not, I can promise you that you are not going to find many medical schools that will fit all your list of demands. Adjustment to medical school is more on the part of the applicant/matriculant rather than the school that one attends. Most schools have note services, taped lectures etc but you are not going to find many places that will allow you to take time off for sick children, sick parents, etc without impunity.

Most schools will attempt to accomodate your needs but they are not going to cater to you because you have a family. You have to figure out what you need and make the necessary arrangements (I am sure you already know this since you are a smart person) so that you can get your academics done.
I don't think selecting a school is about finding all the things at a school on a particular list as much as it's about deciding what you are willing to compromise on. In life you have to "pick your battles and I think we all throughly understand that. And I also think most of us nontrads are mature enough to realize that catering isn't realistic in med school nor in life in general. But the fact of the matter is that there are certains schools that can in fact be classified as nontrad friendly. For example while at Hopkins, I had a classmate that couldn't get an 2 day extension on a final exam when his Dad died. That's competely ridiculous but I'm sure Hopkins' grad/med school applications aren't going to suffer because of an unwritten policy of being hard a$$e$. Now, we all understand that a parent could die at any age but this example potentially speaks to a larger issuse of NOT accomadating those with special circumstances in thier lives. And the fact that THIS school has NEVER matriculated a student over age 34 (I believe, may be 32) to their med school, speaks VOLUMES about what they are looking for in potential students.

So a 36 year old applicant makes a decision, do I try to become the first one admitted to Hopkins over age 34 or do I invest my dollars elsewhere? Better yet, how is this different from deciding NOT to appy as an OOS to ECU or USF knowing these schools haven't admitted an OOS since 1972?

Great discussion, guys! :thumbup:

njbmd said:
Hi there,
Everyone of my classmates with families (male or female) graduated without needing anything special beyond a good curriculum. They did some research, found what they needed for their families and got the job done. We had a very close-knit and supportive organization called "Students with Families" with a faculty advisor who made sure that plenty of information was out there for students with or without families who wanted it
Dr.Belle with all due respect, you have to concede that the "atmosphere" at Howard is very special and unique among med schools at least the ones I've visited. In fact, I've been to only 1 other school with a similar vibe and that was Morehouse although I've heard that Meharry is a similar place. Howard, Morehouse, and Meharry "friendly" toward EVERYONE!!!!! :thumbup:

Law2Doc said:
Actually 1Path, I'm not sure who is missing the target here. As others in this thread have suggested, sure, there are perhaps a variety of definitions of what one might be looking for in a nontrad friendly school, and responses can be different based on such. But given that the OP is 29 in her MDApplicants profile and has a tentative list of 30 schools all over the country, I took her "non-trad friendly" question to mean "what school do nontrads have the best odds of getting into", or "which schools take the most nontrads". I believe a number of us answered the post along this line as well. Thus my response is not "narrow minded" and I stand by my response. If the OP has other concerns besides admissions then other responses may be warranted. :)
This is a good point; maybe we need to have the OP tell us what SHE thinks "non-trad friendly" means. Because if the OP means one of the questions that I bolded, then I think that Law2Doc and njbmd are correct. The first question in particular is useless to even ask, because schools don't have quotas for non-trads. There might be more one year than the next at any school. The second question might be more relevant only in that it gives some idea of what the social atmosphere is like. But I don't think it would suggest that other non-trads are more likely to get into a school just because that school has a lot of current non-trads.

I interpreted the OP's question to be something more along the lines of "which schools did you feel have friendly environments for older students." As I explained above, I defined "friendly" as meaning "you won't be the only student over age 30 there," and "they won't make you give your parents' financial info even though your parents haven't supported you in over a decade." I agree with whomever said that a good mix of ages is the best scenario for creating diversity. (I think that was you, Law2Doc.) I don't think I'd like attending a whole school full of people over age 30 any more than I'd like being the only person over age 30 in a school full of 22-year-olds.

I think that all of you have hit on the highpoints...but to reiterate what has been said...ALL schools have the "potential" of being non-trad friendly IF by that you mean getting in as a non-traditional student. Any school will take GOOD solid students that have proven academic excellence via MCAT/GPA and have proven altruism via volunteering/involvemenet in community/etc. There are NO LIMITS to where you can and should apply! Now, if by non-trad friendly you mean which schools will let you re-schedule exams due to family emergencies with children/spouse/parents this is a whole 'nother' ball of wax. This has nothing to do with non-trad friendliness but just plain being reasonable and accomodation to ALL students regardless of non-trad status or not. I can say with certainty that you will NOT find this out UNTIL you get there and need said accomodation. Nobody asks these questions during interviews and maybe you should. I never thought of asking..."btw what happens if I or my kids get sick and there is some huge final I need to take?" These issues will be hard to tease out unless again you are there and experience this yourself. Now, any school will not be able to accomodate a large amount of time OFF w/o impunity. Impunity meaning setting you back a good chunk of time or even a whole year. Again, plan your life accordingly and yes things happen but you will cross that bridge when you get there. I can say with CERTAINTY that Mayo WILL and HAS worked with students that needed accomodations for certain things. This school is probably one of the most "friendly" and "accomodating" school I have heard of. If you are sick, then you are sick and things will be rescheduled/postponed until you get better. The administration will bend over backwards for the students and this cannot be said for all medical schools. They are also tooling around with a new curriculum that will start for the class of 2010 with much less classtime and more time to pursue other interests.

QofQuimica said:

i would also add NYU to the not so non-trad friendly category. i knew someone who went there and they didn't have many over 30 ppl

efex101 said:
Now, if by non-trad friendly you mean which schools will let you re-schedule exams due to family emergencies with children/spouse/parents this is a whole 'nother' ball of wax. This has nothing to do with non-trad friendliness but just plain being reasonable and accomodation to ALL students regardless of non-trad status or not.
Very good point. I get a little concerned when we start discussions about "Nontrad Friendly" schools and it actually becomes a discussion about the schools that are most accommodating.

Wanting a school that can be accommodating is totally fine, and is probably very important to many folks. 1Path's list seems very reasonable to those with family responsibilities.

But I'm not comfortable having it lumped in with "nontrad friendly". I get nervous when the term "nontrad" is associated with needing breaks and flexibility.

I would consider Pitt, they tend to accept a wide range of 20 somethings and a few young 30's, and, although I realize some have concerns with this, have been accommodating to trads and nontrads alike when it comes to family emergencies and/or unavoidable things coming up.

Whether you like it or not, I would argue that if you are a little older, you're probably also more likely to have kids, a spouse (possibly with their own not-so-flexible career), and/or older parents and therefore you're probably slightly more likely than your average 22 year old to have something unexpected "come up" during your 4 years of medical school, despite your best intentions to not need any "special treatment".

hattie said:
Whether you like it or not, I would argue that if you are a little older, you're probably also more likely to have kids, a spouse (possibly with their own not-so-flexible career), and/or older parents and therefore you're probably slightly more likely than your average 22 year old to have something unexpected "come up" during your 4 years of medical school, despite your best intentions to not need any "special treatment".
Interesting. Of course, you could also make the argument that at 32, you probably have a much better handle on yourself and your situation than you do at 22. You're more likely to have a spouse with his or her career, but you're less likely to MEET someone who becomes a spouse with his or her career (which can be much more damaging). Interesting point of view difference, I guess. Go with the older applicant that might have more baggage, but is baggage you know about, or the younger applicant who is more likely to acquire baggage on the way?

hattie said:
I would consider Pitt, they tend to accept a wide range of 20 somethings and a few young 30's, and, although I realize some have concerns with this, have been accommodating to trads and nontrads alike when it comes to family emergencies and/or unavoidable things coming up.

I'm 32 have no kids, no spouse, and my parents aren't "older". The only treatment i'll need is a beer and a shot after every test. Oh and U-Pitt took me.

hattie said:

We're not all the same you know. :) My biological clock isn't ticking down at an insane rate even if I am 32. My mother is only 52, and I have no kids (just a dog), and own my own home.

If anything, I've thought about things for quite a few years and have had the opportunity to live overseas, etc. I'm definitely not going to be missing out on anything by going to med school and I'd say my chances of having something come up are fairly low. :)

windycitycassie said:
....I'd say my chances of having something come up are fairly low. :)
Please pass on that crystal ball that seems to have foretold your future! :rolleyes:

If someone had told me that at 32, I be a part of the "sandwich" generation, with a newborn AND stroke recovering father in my home (not to mention a husband on his way OUT), I probably would have laughed. MOST people don't bury/care for their parents until their at least in the late 40's at the earlierist, right? NOT!!! Life doesn't work that way. :(

I do howvever, understand notdead when she/he says that to some, there may be a problem with certain "baggage" being assoicated with nontraditional students. But you know, that's life. So why is the "it can't benefit me, so to hell with it" attitude is cool?? I'm not disabled but I can appreciate "accomodatons" for folks who are. That, and I don't have a crystal ball foretelling my future in this matter.

You know, it's so like the premed/med set to have this "nose to the gringstone" attitude and to see anything less, as LESS. Didn't get a 39 on your MCAT?? You idiot!!!! Can't breast feed a baby while locating the brachial plexus?? Why in the hell did the ADCOM waste a seat on you!

Here's what I know about life. If you live long enough, ONE DAY you'll need to help of someone else. Count on that! So what's wrong with parents possibly needing an accomodation or 2 in med school anyway?

1Path said:
Please pass on that crystal ball that seems to have foretold your future! :rolleyes: QUOTE]

wow, I would've liked one of those, too!

4 years is a loooong time to assume nothing serious (either good or bad) will come up in your life... regardless of your age. I wasn't trying to imply that everyone who is a nontrad has or wants a spouse and 2.5 kids, just that things happen to everyone... trads and trads alike... and it has been nice for me and my classmates who have needed a little unexpected help to have it available. no, I did not expect to need accomodations, but I don't think that any of my classmates begrudge me and I don't think that it had a negative impact on my or anyone else's education. and not dead yet, that was an interesting point about perspective, since we are definately coming from different places... I was one of those kids who married while in school and had to sort my stuff out while there, where some "older" friends were more settled :). ah well... anyway, hope everyone and their various lives ends up happy where they are.

hattie said:

Hi there,
Having the "unexpected" come up is not something that is the territory of the non-traditional student. ALL students have the potential for problems be it family or personal in medical school. That is the nature of four years of study. All schools have a Dean of Students and other administration that handles unexpected problems.

I lost my father(to a massive heart attack) during my freshman year and my best friend lost her brother. During my third year, a freshman student (traditional) committed suicide. At UVa, one student (traditional) was diagnosed with cancer, another (traditional) was killed in an accident. Things happen during medical school and people are able to get the support that they need. Running a medical school requires that emergency procedures be in place when students have emergencies. This is part of the LCME requirements.

When my father died, there were penalties of missing some class time. The lectures went on and I had to find a way to make up the time and get the material. Fortunately, I was able to get things worked out and still do well because my classmates were there to help me.

Any medical school in the country is going to accomodate the needs of their students to a point. Beyond that point, you take time off and get your obligations met and you then continue with your studies. Again, every school has a policy for leave of absence if needed.

I will stand by my original statement that any medical school in the country open and accomodating to a non-traditional student. Plenty of non-traditional students have been accepted and have gone on to do well in every medical school so lists are pretty pointless.

njbmd said:
Hi there,
Having the "unexpected" come up is not something that is the territory of the non-traditional student. ALL students have the potential for problems be it family or personal in medical school. That is the nature of four years of study. All schools have a Dean of Students and other administration that handles unexpected problems.

I lost my father(to a massive heart attack) during my freshman year and my best friend lost her brother. During my third year, a freshman student (traditional) committed suicide. At UVa, one student (traditional) was diagnosed with cancer, another (traditional) was killed in an accident. Things happen during medical school and people are able to get the support that they need. Running a medical school requires that emergency procedures be in place when students have emergencies. This is part of the LCME requirements.

When my father died, there were penalties of missing some class time. The lectures went on and I had to find a way to make up the time and get the material. Fortunately, I was able to get things worked out and still do well because my classmates were there to help me.

Any medical school in the country is going to accomodate the needs of their students to a point. Beyond that point, you take time off and get your obligations met and you then continue with your studies. Again, every school has a policy for leave of absence if needed.

I will stand by my original statement that any medical school in the country open and accomodating to a non-traditional student. Plenty of non-traditional students have been accepted and have gone on to do well in every medical school so lists are pretty pointless.

Good post, Natalie.

That's the funny thing about life. You might feel like everything is fine, then *wham* something happens.

I'm happy for those who don't have the extra pressures of family or work hovering over them, but don't be too confident. Something could happen in the blink of an eye to change your life completely.

I'd be curious to know if those of us who are nontrad on multiple levels feel that a school meeting at least of few of things mentioned on the list is absolutely unecessary. To be honest, the ONLY aspect of my life that needs accomodation is my PARENTAL life. For me, even dealing with a sick parent pales in comparision to the daily responsibilities of parenthood, especially of school aged children.

Life is infinitely different kids in your life. Man, if I ONLY had to be concerned with me, dh, and school, I'd be an MD/PhD by now or certainly well on my way! Having said that, I wouldn't change a thing and feel very blessed to be someone's Mommy! :D