Nontrad Jibber-Jabbing Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wholeheartedly

Epi Geek
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
@jl lin

Knowing @QofQuimica, she won't be drinking mojitos and reading a book, unless it's a textbook and she's getting another degree :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I actually am an academic physician, albeit a clinical assistant prof (so no research expectations for my position, and sporadic teaching duties).

As for why I want to work less, my goals have changed as I've gotten older, similar to many people, I suspect. I'm sure that most nontrads would agree that what you want at age 20 or 30 may not be what you want at age 40 or 50. At this point in my life, I value my time more than I had in the past, and I don't want a career that is all-consuming of my life any more. I suppose it's fair to say that I want to be on my own schedule, too. Being an academic physician does offer some flexibility, but I still find myself driving over to the hospital plenty of nights when I'd just as soon not be.

OK, but I still don't see you retiring at 45. LOL :)

Members don't see this ad :)
At this time of year in particular, the idea of someone living in Florida and retiring at 45 seems crazy to me--cuz now is the time to stack the cords of wood! But I've been done with winters and snow since I was 27, so. . . :)

At this time of year in particular, the idea of someone living in Florida and retiring at 45 seems crazy to me--cuz now is the time to stack the cords of wood! But I've been done with winters and snow since I was 27, so. . . :)
November is one of the best times of the year to be in Florida. The weather is gorgeous and the snowbirds are only starting to arrive. After Thanksgiving, season starts in full swing, and everything gets crowded and busy. Right now it's 77 and sunny. In fact, I think I should go out and take a walk. :laugh:

My mom doesn't either. She asked me what I'd do if I retired at 45, and I said, "whatever I want."

I do have some ideas, and WH isn't all that far off. :)
At what age did you become a full fledged attending? Just curious...

November is one of the best times of the year to be in Florida. The weather is gorgeous and the snowbirds are only starting to arrive. After Thanksgiving, season starts in full swing, and everything gets crowded and busy. Right now it's 77 and sunny. In fact, I think I should go out and take a walk. :laugh:

and i'm about to head out to shovel our first snowfall and hope that the roads are clear for me to drive up north for class tomorrow.

@jl lin I'm going to win the lottery and Q and I are going to start a non profit to help people that's my idea of retirement...

At what age did you become a full fledged attending? Just curious...
39. I finished residency this past July.

and i'm about to head out to shovel our first snowfall and hope that the roads are clear for me to drive up north for class tomorrow.
I keep inviting you to come down. Free place to stay in paradise. Standing invitation. If you give me a little advanced notice, I'll even take the week off and show you around. You won't have to shovel a lick of snow the entire time.

@jl lin I'm going to win the lottery and Q and I are going to start a non profit to help people that's my idea of retirement...
You're on. I would definitely be up for helping you run a nonprofit, as long as you wouldn't require me to come up to MN in the winter. ;)

39. I finished residency this past July.

I keep inviting you to come down. Free place to stay in paradise. Standing invitation. If you give me a little advanced notice, I'll even take the week off and show you around. You won't have to shovel a lick of snow the entire time.

You're on. I would definitely be up for helping you run a nonprofit, as long as you wouldn't require me to come up to MN in the winter. ;)
FL is a beautiful state... and not that expensive as many might think... I love south FL...

Oh I'm game, it's just a matter of getting the stars to align (ie vacation time, finances, etc.) I do plan on doing whatever it takes to take a nice trip somewhere after I finish my darn masters degree.

FL is a beautiful state... and not that expensive as many might think... I love south FL...
Agree. It also has a decided advantage over most other Southern states in not having an income tax, which becomes relevant to you once you actually have an income. ;)

Oh I'm game, it's just a matter of getting the stars to align (ie vacation time, finances, etc.) I do plan on doing whatever it takes to take a nice trip somewhere after I finish my darn masters degree.
Dude, you only have to pay for a plane ticket and whatever spending money you want. Just buy the dang ticket already!

Members don't see this ad :)

Rubbing it in. . . 77 and sunny. It sucks to live above the 31st parallel.

Sounds like a plan. There is, after all, no such thing as a statistical improbability. ;)

Agree. It also has a decided advantage over most other Southern states in not having an income tax, which becomes relevant to you once you actually have an income. ;)

Dude, you only have to pay for a plane ticket and whatever spending money you want. Just buy the dang ticket already!

"Dude?" So WH is a guy???

I have a whopping 30 hours of PTO right now, and because I'm pseudo management and "exempt" classification, per institutional policy, I have to use 8 of those hours for Thanksgiving, even though I'm not going anywhere and would rather work.

"Dude?" So WH is a guy???
lmao, jl, you have to be the most literal person I've ever "met."

I can tell you that WH definitely has a female name. I haven't actually yet seen her in person though, nor have I required a karyotypic analysis of her, so I suppose I can't be 100% sure. But I'm still mostly sure that she's really a gal. :D

Edit: I need to go back and clean out this thread now. Too much jibber-jabbing.

lmao, jl, you have to be the most literal person I've ever "met."

I can tell you that WH definitely has a female name. I haven't actually yet seen her in person though, nor have I required a karyotypic analysis of her, so I suppose I can't be 100% sure. But I'm still mostly sure that she's really a gal. :D

Edit: I need to go back and clean out this thread now. Too much jibber-jabbing.

LOL DUDES!

Alright. That's a fix. :)

Yeah, thus far none of my docs have ever questioned it, so that's what were going with....

and I need to get off here and go take a nap and then finish my paper on political challenges in the classification of genocides using Darfur as an example.....

yes, I said nap, hush.

I get people telling me they think I'm a guy on SDN all the time. Must be the sheer raw masculinity exuding from my posts. That, or they're a bunch of stereotypers who assume I must be a guy 'cause I have a chemistry PhD. :smuggrin:

Edit: must remember to tell Lee that I don't like this "smug grin" emoticon. I liked the old "meanie" better.

Speaking of MN

A-Minnesota-Poem.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
What ever possessed anyone to go to MN in the winter and think, "Wow, this place is great. I think I'll build a house and settle here!"

Course, I guess the same could be said for Florida in the summer. Just the other extreme.

The snowbirds are the ones who've got it right. Maybe I'll be a snowbird when I turn 45. How is MN in the summer? :D

I don't think I could ever live in Florida. The cold and snow of Nebraska winters makes my heart happy. Just today my roommate called me a lunatic for not wearing a coat to the grocery store. Good thing she didn't notice the flip flops - lol.

I don't think I could ever live in Florida. The cold and snow of Nebraska winters makes my heart happy. Just today my roommate called me a lunatic for not wearing a coat to the grocery store. Good thing she didn't notice the flip flops - lol.
They make me happy too, 'cause I'm watching them on TV instead of going out in them.

FWIW, "The Nebraska Song" is unquestionably one of Sawyer Brown's all-time best songs. :thumbup:

All this snow talk makes me sad.

I moved from sunny southern CA for a post-bac program to a city with 100+ inches of snow last winter. . .

And I am still here!

My sister got 9 inches of snow last night. Florida, I love you.

What ever possessed anyone to go to MN in the winter and think, "Wow, this place is great. I think I'll build a house and settle here!"

It's called being born here.

Or at least close by, and this is the furthest I could get and still get reciprocity.

I love it here in the summer. Hit the bike trails, go kayaking, camping, bonfires, volleyball, etc.

Minnesota. Why? Just why? LOL

The warm climate -->cradle of civilization. That says a lot to me.

Q at first I thought you were a dude, and you corrected me.

I think I thought you were a guy , b/c, and don't get mad ladies, you were so incredibly logical minus the emo. Now I know you were a scientist first, but having worked many years in a female-dominated profession, well I can't ignore certain discussion tendencies that come up, often enough, within my gender.

I'm holding out for a seriously f'd up turn of events in the Jibber Jabber thread. Like a reverse WH-->Q crying game scenario: WH poses elaborately as chick for months of internet banter. But booom....surprise man gear apparent in that bikini in that trip to Atlantic Beach. The whole thing blows up on sdn.

But...if it's just banter..then my cognitive preset is that you're all dudes. Until you explicitly say you're a chick. And even then I hope you're on the dudish, sarah silverman end of the spectrum. Anything but ultra-girly nurse banter. Kid photos. or whatever in god's name else...that I blank out on and go somewhere in my head.

I worked on a peds unit. So I know this form of torture well.

I mean, I can work the small talk with the rest of them, but it's not really my thing.
It's like FB. Pretty much no one there wants to talk about anything truly interesting. How many cute pictures can you like already? Yes your children are cute. We have all acknowledged it ad nauseum. But you will be damned if you can get even a few to talk about something truly interesting going on in the world or even locally. I grew up with all debate team brothers and a very interesting father than loved lively discussions. So I had to really learn how to do small talk.

Eh. It's a mixed bag. As a UG, the rent in areas like Orlando can be a bit ridiculous considering what you're receiving.

Ugh, it snowed here last night. I'm a native Texan and every time it gets below 30 degrees, I think I'm dying. I moved up North for the right reasons (post-bacc program), but I miss 60 degree winters and the beach in April. I have been known to see a snow drift in February and get a little emotional.

That being said, fall turned me into a drugged hippie: the colors man, the colors! I've never seen anything like it.

What happens if you don't get offered tenure at the end of your postdoc/residency program if you're a MD/Ph.D? Is non-tenure track an option like it is for Ph.D-only scientists? Do you become a Clinical Research Assistant Professor, or CRAP for short?

Eh. It's a mixed bag. As a UG, the rent in areas like Orlando can be a bit ridiculous considering what you're receiving.

I think Orlando as a whole is pretty cheap, except for the unbelievable number of tolls it takes to drive for 15 minutes anywhere. I've lived all over this state.

Q at first I thought you were a dude, and you corrected me.

I think I thought you were a guy , b/c, and don't get mad ladies, you were so incredibly logical minus the emo. Now I know you were a scientist first, but having worked many years in a female-dominated profession, well I can't ignore certain discussion tendencies that come up, often enough, within my gender.
Now you're just devolving this discussion into another nature-versus-nurture argument. Am I "incredibly logical minus the emo" because I was a girl in a male-dominated profession (physical science), or did I gravitate toward a male-dominated profession because I'm incredibly logical minus the emo in spite of being a girl? Tough to say. But, like Nas, I loathe girl small talk. If I were a nurse, my coworkers would probably think I was stuck up and unfriendly.

My friend, I suggest that you never go to New England or any of the coastal cities if you think that Orlando of all places has high rent. In fact, you'd best not even go down to SE Florida.

Ugh, it snowed here last night. I'm a native Texan and every time it gets below 30 degrees, I think I'm dying. I moved up North for the right reasons (post-bacc program), but I miss 60 degree winters and the beach in April. I have been known to see a snow drift in February and get a little emotional.

That being said, fall turned me into a drugged hippie: the colors man, the colors! I've never seen anything like it.
I agree with you there. The falls in New England are spectacular. The winters....not so much.

What happens if you don't get offered tenure at the end of your postdoc/residency program if you're a MD/Ph.D? Is non-tenure track an option like it is for Ph.D-only scientists? Do you become a Clinical Research Assistant Professor, or CRAP for short?
PhDs don't typically do clinical research, but yes, CRAP sounds about right.

I think Orlando as a whole is pretty cheap, except for the unbelievable number of tolls it takes to drive for 15 minutes anywhere. I've lived all over this state.
Agree. Granted, if you're around the touristy areas, it's expensive. But that's true all over the state.

Now you're just devolving this discussion into another nature-versus-nurture argument. Am I "incredibly logical minus the emo" because I was a girl in a male-dominated profession (physical science), or did I gravitate toward a male-dominated profession because I'm incredibly logical minus the emo in spite of being a girl? Tough to say. But, like Nas, I loathe girl small talk. If I were a nurse, my coworkers would probably think I was stuck up and unfriendly.

My friend, I suggest that you never go to New England or any of the coastal cities if you think that Orlando of all places has high rent. In fact, you'd best not even go down to SE Florida.

I agree with you there. The falls in New England are spectacular. The winters....not so much.

PhDs don't typically do clinical research, but yes, CRAP sounds about right.

Agree. Granted, if you're around the touristy areas, it's expensive. But that's true all over the state.
Oh, I live in Boston over the summer, I know that Orlando is quite the steal. Simply housing for UG's at the university in Orlando charge an absurd amount for what you're given.

How bad is SE Florida?

It's called being born here.

Or at least close by, and this is the furthest I could get and still get reciprocity.

I love it here in the summer. Hit the bike trails, go kayaking, camping, bonfires, volleyball, etc.

Some people enjoy doing all that stuff for more than 2 months of the year.

Some people enjoy doing all that stuff for more than 2 months of the year.
Hahaha, seriously. I can do any of those things any time of year, even in February. In fact, I'd rather do them in February. Take that, Minnesota!

Yes, so sorry to go down that road, but that was my take and my response as to perhaps why people presume that you are a dude. :)
Know what you mean about the small talk; but you try to adapt to be folksy with people. I was outnumbered by men in my family too. Always interesting debates. People generally didn't know what to do with small talk. My mother is the highly empathetic person, and although I take after my dad and brothers, I have a strong tendency toward empathy. But yea. Even to this day, I feel somewhat uncomfortable and bored with small talk. I have a hard time with FB b/c it's just not the format to really discuss anything interesting. It's a bunch of people wanting constant affirmation for the cute pics of their kids or some such thing. That's nice and normal; but how many times can I like these kinds of pictures???? I think I need to start a blog instead.

Personally, I think society puts a lot of pressure on females to think or act "girly." But again, that's another topic. :)

About NE. It's beautiful. Problem is, the winters go on for too long.