Nontrad Residency Match Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
With all these threads by premeds looking for inspiration, I thought some of you might enjoy rooting for and seeing all of the newly minted nontrad residents we have here.

Yes, Virginia, there *is* a light at the end of the tunnel. Today is the 2010 DO match, and I know at least one of our nontrad regulars matched to her first choice. I'll let her post about it herself. Any other c/o 2010 DO nontrads who matched today? Congrats to all of you. :clap:

Members don't see this ad.

Great idea, Q.

You know I wish some of the non-trads further along would post more for the benefit of those of us earlier in the journey.

For instance, I love the "secrets of success" and "nontrads who just finished M1" threads where non-trads came back to post about their experiences. It gave me a lot of insight and encouragement about what lies ahead. (almost wish there was a whole series - M2, Step I, M3, etc.)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I too would love to hear from non-trads further along in the journey. :)

I got my #1 choice - IM in Kalamazoo! :) :) :) Dually accredited program (AOA/ACGME)

Now I gotta get my house in Maine ready to sell..........

I don't usually post here, but I am pretty thoroughly non-traditional. After a ten year, disaster strewn trip through medical school, I did a one year prelim and about 3 mos of PM&R

Now I have been out for ten years with no medical experience in this century. Last year I failed to match or scramble, but this year I got my first choice residency in psychiatry. And it is local, so I do not have to move my family. They like it here.

So I am back to being a PGY1, with one child in grad school and almost old enough to be an intern herself if she had gone that route. I have six kids in all, one with some serious issues, and I didn't even have to hide who I am to get this position. I can hardly believe my good fortune.

Congrats to all the non-trads and bring on the stories!

Hello Q! Long time, no talk.

I just wanted to encourage my non-traditional brothers and sisters to keep at it -- if you want to be a doctor, you only need two things: (1) Do it, and (2) Don't give up. Being stubborn/persistent goes a lot further than brains or grades.

I earned my BA in Linguistics in 1990 (no, that's not a typo) where I fulfilled the science requirement with Astronomy.... Went on to get my JD in 1993. Practiced law for 9 years. Then I decided I wanted to be a doctor, so I had to go back to do an ad hoc pro per post-bac in 2002, where I was taking Bio 1 and Intro to Chemistry with 18-year-old-kids. Started med school in 2006 at the University of California when I was 38 years old -- and there was actually one guy in my class who was older than me!

When I started med school everyone asked me what kind of doctor I wanted to be, and all I could say was, "I don't know, but definitely not psych and not OB." Now it's almost four years later and yesterday I matched to an OB/Gyn program in Michigan where I really wanted to go. Women's health = Awesome!

Moral of the story: (1) Nontraditional students can and do make it. (2) Apply far and wide and keep your eyes on the goal. (3) There is no such thing as "too old". One guy in our school's class of 2012 is in his fifties! (4) Babies don't come from storks, or the cabbage patch. (5) My wife and two daughters can attest to the fact that it's very hard on family, but still feasible. (6) I'd rather be a happy, broke doctor than an unhappy, financially stable lawyer. (7) 41 years old isn't "old" and it's never too late to start a new life.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Matched into a great program in a surgical subspecialty at the age of 48. So happy! :soexcited:

Big shout-out to all my fellow c/o 2011 nontrads who matched today!

Got my top choice. Will add more later when I'm not on my BB.

Congratulations! I figured you would land your top choice. Of course, we are all dying to hear what it is.

OK, update. I've already posted in the "Secrets of Success" thread about my med school app journey, so I'm just going to focus on the residency app experience here.

I want to do academic medicine, which is why I mainly applied to highly academic centers, plus a few so-called "community" hospitals that do a lot of research. My residency advisor told me to apply to 15-20 programs based on my competitiveness. I therefore did the perfectly obvious thing and applied to twice that many (35 of them). Fortunately, you don't have to do secondaries for residency apps, and it only cost $500 in all. Not that $500 is nothing, but when you consider that might buy you what, like five secondaries for med school, it's a pretty good deal!

Ended up attending 15 interviews, ranked all 15 programs. Really struggled with how to rank my #1 and #2, because I loved them both. Ultimately decided to go with the program that had the best research and clinical opportunities in my subspecialty even though I liked #2's city better. I have been in touch with the fellowship director at #1 since my interview and am planning to stay for fellowship as well.

On match day, there was a local news crew filming us. They asked several students, including me, where we had matched. I said I hadn't opened the envelope, and I actually opened it for the first time right there on camera. In retrospect, that might not have been the greatest idea, but they were there to see my trembling hand pull the letter out of the envelope, then watch me let my breath out, look up and say, "I got my #1!" It's all on film. :laugh:

Even though I was excited, of course I can't help but have doubts, especially now since some of my other top choices are sending me surveys to ask what I was looking for in a residency and what I did or did not like about their programs. I've gotten a couple of those from other programs I ranked highly, and it made me feel kind of bad, because I would have been happy to go to those programs too if that's how things had worked out. Too many potential roads untraveled. Sigh.

Anyway, I've been emailing back and forth with my future classmates; my program coordinator has already sent me a tonnage of forms to fill out and online modules to complete so I can get my temporary license; and I'm now two months away from being an MD/PhD. It's just a little surreal....

Congratulations Q! I'm so happy for you. Your 2/3's of the way there! That is big considering the PhD before the MD. I hope things go well for you in your new city. Cheers.:)

OK, update. I've already posted in the "Secrets of Success" thread about my med school app journey, so I'm just going to focus on the residency app experience here.

I want to do academic medicine, which is why I mainly applied to highly academic centers, plus a few so-called "community" hospitals that do a lot of research. My residency advisor told me to apply to 15-20 programs based on my competitiveness. I therefore did the perfectly obvious thing and applied to twice that many (35 of them). Fortunately, you don't have to do secondaries for residency apps, and it only cost $500 in all. Not that $500 is nothing, but when you consider that might buy you what, like five secondaries for med school, it's a pretty good deal!

Ended up attending 15 interviews, ranked all 15 programs. Really struggled with how to rank my #1 and #2, because I loved them both. Ultimately decided to go with the program that had the best research and clinical opportunities in my subspecialty even though I liked #2's city better. I have been in touch with the fellowship director at #1 since my interview and am planning to stay for fellowship as well.

On match day, there was a local news crew filming us. They asked several students, including me, where we had matched. I said I hadn't opened the envelope, and I actually opened it for the first time right there on camera. In retrospect, that might not have been the greatest idea, but they were there to see my trembling hand pull the letter out of the envelope, then watch me let my breath out, look up and say, "I got my #1!" It's all on film. :laugh:

Even though I was excited, of course I can't help but have doubts, especially now since some of my other top choices are sending me surveys to ask what I was looking for in a residency and what I did or did not like about their programs. I've gotten a couple of those from other programs I ranked highly, and it made me feel kind of bad, because I would have been happy to go to those programs too if that's how things had worked out. Too many potential roads untraveled. Sigh.

Anyway, I've been emailing back and forth with my future classmates; my program coordinator has already sent me a tonnage of forms to fill out and online modules to complete so I can get my temporary license; and I'm now two months away from being an MD/PhD. It's just a little surreal....

Congratulations Q! I'm so happy for you. Your 2/3's of the way there! That is big considering the PhD before the MD. I hope things go well for you in your new city. Cheers.:)

Q...what specialty did you choose?

Congrats and best wishes, and thanks for your contribution here.

Hi, Everyone,

I've been away for a while now. Some of you might still remember me. I'm a 37 y/o non-trad with a background in IT/management (along with some other eclectic things thrown in), now just two weeks shy of 38 and four weeks from graduating med school. I went back to school for a post-bacc close to ten years s/p college graduation (graduated in 1996) with a less than desirable academic background (had D's in major classes, a lot of W's, and changed my major three times) and eventually got accepted to and attended KCUMB-COM (c/o 2011) as an HPSP student in the USAF (marching in 105 degree weather in COT at 37 was interesting). As an interesting aside, I took the pencil and paper MCAT for the first time back in the early '90's. Anyway, I already posted on the "Pros and Cons of Going to Med School as a Nontrad" thread, but wanted to also post an update here as well.

I did well in medical school and on my boards, so I felt that a lot of doors were open for me in terms of choice of specialty, and age was NEVER an issue for me in medical school, during the pre-clinical and clinical years (actually, there were folks much older than me). (Okay, maybe, I felt a bit less resilient and had an arguably harder time bouncing back from those all-nighters, etc., than my much younger colleagues.) Yes, folks, trust me, while there is some predictability from past MCAT/Undergrad GPA performance, nothing beats the good, old-fashioned leg-work you put in during your medical school years. That's by far the best determining factor on your success. Don't rest on your laurels or let your past limit/define you.

Even though I started out thinking I'd do primary care, I found myself entertaining other specialties, like many others. For a while, I entertained general surgery. I loved being able to make rapid interventions and working with my hands, but the long, grueling hours and residency didn't appeal to me at the end. I liked OB/GYN for similar reasons, plus it had a primary care element, but did not fancy the unpredictability and being on-call for deliveries all the time. I almost thought I'd do EM, but then I realized that it was the variety and follow-up that I wanted, and EM didn't have much follow-up/long-term management. At times, it was difficult separating the people I was working with from the actual work itself. At last, I fell in love with FM because it had the best balance of everything I wanted in terms of variety, balance between clinic and hospital work, procedures, ability to OB/GYN, and long-term follow-up, and I came full circle.

On December 15th, 2011, I matched at an awesome combined military/civilian FM residency and will be starting June of this year. It was my number one choice! I feel incredibly happy and lucky, and I really couldn't ask for more. The civilian side is at a major university hospital well-known for primary care, with an in-patient FP ward.

Now, I'm just a month or two away from wearing the coveted "long white coat" and being called "doctor." I have the normal trepidation that almost everyone feels at this stage, but I am also very excited. It's been an interesting challenge and I'm so glad that I took the leap of faith 5-6 years ago to go back to school and pursue medicine. Truth be told, it seems like only yesterday that I was teaching Yoga/Martial Arts in SoCal and carrying bags as a bellman, when going back to school to pursue medicine was just a budding idea. It all flew by so very quickly. Now, I am sitting here filling out my TEP and residency paperwork. Did I step into a time warp, LOL?

Anyway, just a few words of encouragement to those who are older and think it's too late to start a career in medicine: If your heart is into it and you are willing to do the work, you can do it. And, yes, you can overcome past academic difficulties and be successful in your pursuit of medicine.

Good luck, non-trad pre-meds and med students! And, congrats to all those who matched.

Last edited:
Hi, Everyone,

I've been away for a while now. Some of you might still remember me. I'm a 37 y/o non-trad with a background in IT/management (along with some other eclectic things thrown in), now just two weeks shy of 38 and four weeks from graduating med school.
Anyway, just a few words of encouragement to those who are older and think it's too late to start a career in medicine: If your heart is into it and you are willing to do the work, you can do it. And, yes, you can overcome past academic difficulties and be successful in your pursuit of medicine.

Good luck, non-trad pre-meds and med students! And, congrats to all those who matched.
hey Spicedmanna. Congratulations on your match. very happy for you. Thank you for the encouraging words :).

Last edited:
I'm nearing the end of my intern year. I'd just like to say it's been much MUCH sweeter than I thought it would be. I absolutely LOVE what I do.

Even the 78 hour weeks for months on end aren't bad. Really. Honestly. (unless I've got ICU delirium at this point... I *am* doing units for the second month this year!) And then you get the lovely months where you only work 50 hours a week. Those are like freakin' vacation months. :D

Now, on the downside at this point, I think I'm getting rather terrified at being a senior resident. I mean, really... me? in charge of interns???

And congrats, spicey!!!!!!!!!!!! :woot:

I'm nearing the end of my intern year. I'd just like to say it's been much MUCH sweeter than I thought it would be. I absolutely LOVE what I do.

Even the 78 hour weeks for months on end aren't bad. Really. Honestly. (unless I've got ICU delirium at this point... I *am* doing units for the second month this year!) And then you get the lovely months where you only work 50 hours a week. Those are like freakin' vacation months. :D

Now, on the downside at this point, I think I'm getting rather terrified at being a senior resident. I mean, really... me? in charge of interns???

And congrats, spicey!!!!!!!!!!!! :woot:
Congrats! Yes, it gets much more fun from this point onwards, but the responsibility is tough for the first few months out of internship. You're about to see just how much you've learned come July 1. You'll consult your colleagues now and they'll consult you. Well done again on this huge milestone. Finish strong.

Matched into a great program in a surgical subspecialty at the age of 48. So happy! :soexcited:
Congrats! Please, feed us with some good advice along with your experiences...

Wow!.. realized it was written in 2010... I'll pass on it..

Congrats! Please, feed us with some good advice along with your experiences...

Wow!.. realized it was written in 2010... I'll pass on it..

You don't have to pass - I'm still here! :laugh: Just finishing my intern year, and it has all been worth it, which is not to say it has been easy or always fun. I can't believe how much I've learned and what good friends I've made.

Happy to give advice, not sure what kind you need, but if you want a few words about interviewing/matching/residency as a non-trad I can oblige. Some random thoughts:

1. Being a non-trad can be a tremendous advantage, but you have work to spin it that way. It is very easy for someone who doesn't know you to write you off as overestimating your own ability because everyone knows residency is too strenuous for an older person. On the trail, no one ever said this to me directly but I got that vibe more than once.

2. In medical school and now in residency I never once let the words "I'm tired" come out of my mouth. I don't want to ever give anyone a reason to think I can't handle the work because of my age. See #1 above. ALL residents are tired (exhausted really). I just never admit it because I don't feel I have that luxury.

3. Never be anyone other than who you are. If those around you are discussing a band you never heard of (probably because it was founded after 1980), ask them to tell you about it. I do not pretend to know what my younger colleagues are talking about when it comes to pop culture. I ask, they laugh, then tell me what I want to know.

4. Less is often more, especially when you get to residency. I have found that the more I listen and keep my mouth shut, the better off I am. I learn more and get into less trouble.

Hope this is helpful to you in some small way!

You don't have to pass - I'm still here! :laugh: Just finishing my intern year, and it has all been worth it, which is not to say it has been easy or always fun. I can't believe how much I've learned and what good friends I've made.

Happy to give advice, not sure what kind you need, but if you want a few words about interviewing/matching/residency as a non-trad I can oblige. Some random thoughts:

1. Being a non-trad can be a tremendous advantage, but you have work to spin it that way. It is very easy for someone who doesn't know you to write you off as overestimating your own ability because everyone knows residency is too strenuous for an older person. On the trail, no one ever said this to me directly but I got that vibe more than once.

2. In medical school and now in residency I never once let the words "I'm tired" come out of my mouth. I don't want to ever give anyone a reason to think I can't handle the work because of my age. See #1 above. ALL residents are tired (exhausted really). I just never admit it because I don't feel I have that luxury.

3. Never be anyone other than who you are. If those around you are discussing a band you never heard of (probably because it was founded after 1980), ask them to tell you about it. I do not pretend to know what my younger colleagues are talking about when it comes to pop culture. I ask, they laugh, then tell me what I want to know.

4. Less is often more, especially when you get to residency. I have found that the more I listen and keep my mouth shut, the better off I am. I learn more and get into less trouble.

Hope this is helpful to you in some small way!
Great clues coming from a successful non-trad... Thank you!

Having been in one of the longest training paths as a future surgeon, have you ever regret you didn't choose a shorter path like internist, family, EM, etc.? How do you keep motivated and move forward as a non-trad (older) resident?

Also, from your end of the tunnel, how do you see the job opportunities after you've been graduated from the residency? Do you "have to" relocate to somewhere although you'd like to end up at somewhere else in the country? How is the job market for surgeons gonna be, at your point of view?

Great clues coming from a successful non-trad... Thank you!

Having been in one of the longest training paths as a future surgeon, have you ever regret you didn't choose a shorter path like internist, family, EM, etc.? How do you keep motivated and move forward as a non-trad (older) resident?

Also, from your end of the tunnel, how do you see the job opportunities after you've been graduated from the residency? Do you "have to" relocate to somewhere although you'd like to end up at somewhere else in the country? How is the job market for surgeons gonna be, at your point of view?

I don't for a minute regret choosing my specialty. It is a longer road than IM, FM, peds, and EM, but only by two years. Those two years are a small price for me to pay because I was stone cold miserable on all of my medicine-related rotations in medical school. I am just a terrible fit for a medical specialty, period.

Motivation is not usually an issue because I really do enjoy my little corner of the surgical world. I am eager to learn all I can about it and be a great surgeon. The road is very long, you're right, so what I never do is look too far down it. As long as I put one foot in front of the other and take each day as it comes, I don't get overwhelmed with what a gigantic undertaking this is.

With the current uncertainty surrounding medical care I don't think anyone has a crystal ball about future job opportunities exactly. But - I find it hard to believe that things would change so much in the next 4-5 years that I wouldn't be able to find a good job in any part of the country I wanted given the rather healthy state of my subspecialty at this time. Government moves very slowly, for better or for worse!

The 2012 Match Day for allo students is tomorrow, so I'm bumping this thread up in case any of our graduating nontrads want to post their stories and/or results. Also, my apologies for forgetting to bump this thread up for the osteo Match Day, which was last month. If anyone who matched through the osteo match wants to post their results, please do!

Congratulations to everyone who matched this year. :)

The 2012 Match Day for allo students is tomorrow, so I'm bumping this thread up in case any of our graduating nontrads want to post their stories and/or results. Also, my apologies for forgetting to bump this thread up for the osteo Match Day, which was last month. If anyone who matched through the osteo match wants to post their results, please do!

Congratulations to everyone who matched this year. :)

:confused: I'm pretty sure they are SOAPing right now, the match ship sailed a while ago.

Geez, reading the match forum makes me so glad I'm not going caribbean. It's only going to get worse by the time the class of '16 trods down that path.

:confused: I'm pretty sure they are SOAPing right now, the match ship sailed a while ago.
It's understandable that you're confused, so I'll try to unconfuse you a little. The match is a week-long process. On Monday of this week, the allo students found out *if* they matched, but they don't find out *where* until tomorrow. Those who didn't match anywhere also found that out on Monday. They are the ones doing SOAP, which is only for applicants who failed to match in the original match. Right now everyone else is sitting on tenterhooks waiting to find out where they're going.

Most medical schools (maybe all of them?) have a Match Day ceremony, which takes place on the day when everyone finds out where they're going. Some schools apparently have very civilized ceremonies where each person is called up one by one to open their envelope, and everyone applauds. At my school, we had envelopes with our names on them laid out on a few tables. The Dean of the medical school cut a ribbon, and then there was a mad stampede for the those envelopes. If you read my post from last year, I mentioned waiting to get mine; well, that's because I wasn't about to risk being trampled by some of my classmates who were literally twice my size. :p

Ah. I understand a little more now.

Question though- does anybody ever open their envelope and say "oh sh|t"? This ceremony sounds a lot like those TV commercials where the couple looks at the quick pregnancy test results and it's always one of "hooray we're having a baby!", "dang it maybe next time", or "whew honey we dodged that bullet", and never the obvious fourth category.

Question though- does anybody ever open their envelope and say "oh sh|t"?
Of course. Naturally, not everyone is going to be happy about where they matched. People get angry, burst into tears, the full range of human emotions that you'd expect to see from people dealing with frustration and disappointment. There are some threads like that in the residency forums if you want to dig them up.

And on that cheery note, I need to get ready for work. All I have to say is that residency was a lot more fun on Match Day than it is these days. :hungover:

The Dean of the medical school cut a ribbon, and then there was a mad stampede for the those envelopes. If you read my post from last year, I mentioned waiting to get mine; well, that's because I wasn't about to risk being trampled by some of my classmates who were literally twice my size. :p
:laugh:

Undisclosed Family Medicine program in Texas - my #1 choice! Couldn't be happier...

Congrats everyone! I matched neurosurgery and am so happy!

First time poster, long time lurker.

Just thought I'd share my story for all those considering applying.

I thought about going to med school right out of college and multiple things made me change my mind. I ended up pursuing an MPH and working in public health for 10 years, but kept thinking about wanting to go back.

I applied to the school in my hometown and was rejected the first time because they "weren't sure I could handle the academics." I applied again and was accepted.

Long story short, I did well in medical school and didn't have any problems passing even though I had been out of school 10 years and didn't do a postbac. I didn't do as well as I would have liked on Step 1 (around average), but worked hard 3rd year and honored all but 2 clerkships. I took Step 2 early and did much, much better on it. I think those two things contributed to getting competitive interviews for residency.

I ended up matching in internal medicine at WashU/Barnes Jewish, which was my first choice.

All in all going to medical school was the best decision I could have made. I've had a great experience and have met amazing people. I will be 35 when I graduate in a couple of months, but honestly, wouldn't change anything. Having "real world" experience and having worked before definitely contributed to being successful in 3rd year.

Bumping this year's non-trad match thread. I think the DO match already happened and the main MD match is the 15th. Good luck.

Do we have any non-trads matching this year?

4th years found out if they matched or need to enter the SOAP today. Fortunately I matched but won't know where until Friday.

Congrats to everyone who found out they matched today or matched earlier (early match, DO, military). Best of luck to anyone who is currently SOAPing.

Hope everyone who found out they matched today gets their #1.

Last edited: