Nontrad residency placement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

m222222

Reaction score
Hi folks, I'm a nontrad who will be starting medical school next year in my mid 30s. I'm looking forward, have been fortunate to secure several acceptances, and am waiting to hear back from a bunch of schools. I'm not trying to put the cart before the horse by talking about residency placement but, at the same time, am trying to keep my future path in mind as I consider my school options. Also, I should note that I have no idea which specialty I'd like to pursue.

I have heard from some people that older/nontrad medical students have harder times placing in certain residencies. Others say that there is no significant bias and that it's mostly a matter of hard work. My first question is whether there is any consensus or anecdotal wisdom regarding whether there are some specialties older premeds struggle to find placement in. Though I have no idea whether I'm interested in pursuing them, I also am curious to know whether notoriously competitive specialties (e.g. derm) are historically open to or resistant to nontrads. And if nontrads do have a greater difficulty matching into some specialties, does that make school ranking/prestige/match history even more important than for traditional applicants?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am in my early 30s and have several classmates in their mid-30s. While I am going into IM with the intent to specialize, I have older friends who are pursuing more competitive fields (surgical subspecialties and derm included).

There really isn't a limitation so long as you show up, work hard, and demonstrate that you have the endurance. What you put into your rotations and research (if you choose a specialty that requires it) will speak louder than your birth date.

Reactions: 2 users
I am in my early 30s and have several classmates in their mid-30s. While I am going into IM with the intent to specialize, I have older friends who are pursuing more competitive fields (surgical subspecialties and derm included).

There really isn't a limitation so long as you show up, work hard, and demonstrate that you have the endurance. What you put into your rotations and research (if you choose a specialty that requires it) will speak louder than your birth date.
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
It does not matter with regards to the residency unless you are talking about being in your late 50's when you complete medical school. Then you may want to reconsider neurosurgery or some other surgical specialty for your residency. but for you, it does not nor should it matter.

You need to find the specialty that you feel you would gladly wake up in the middle of the night and go to the hospital for when it is 5 degrees outside. Or, that you are not having second thoughts about when you have to go to work the next day. But right now, you are correct, you are putting the cart WAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY before the horse. Focus on one thing, medical school. If you do not do well or do not do well on boards then you may not get the residency you want or even in the place you want it.

I am a first year medical student in my mid thirties and think about residency all the time. For me I do not think it is thinking too far ahead because for us, we may have more responsibilities than the traditional medical student. So for me, I worry about age but I don’t plan to go into a super competitive field!

Over 40. 10+ interviews in Interventional Radiology ranging from Ivys to fresh programs. More in DR.

Every interview I've had has focused and generally lauded praise on my unique path to medicine. Age it's only a problem if YOU think you're too old.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
I am a first year medical student in my mid thirties and think about residency all the time. For me I do not think it is thinking too far ahead because for us, we may have more responsibilities than the traditional medical student. So for me, I worry about age but I don’t plan to go into a super competitive field!
I was a non traditional medical student as well and the first thing you need to focus on is your grades. If you do not focus on your grades then it will not matter what residency you want to go into. Not to mention, it may not even be the residency that you will finally land on. When I started medical school I was gung-ho about emergency medicine. Then I did several rotations in it and really did not like it, then I did a sub-i in critical care and found my calling. I then did IM followed by a CC fellowship. So while you should join the student societies of the specialty you are thinking about and make connections, it will be for naught if you do not maintain your primary focus on your classes and then your steps.

I was a non traditional medical student as well and the first thing you need to focus on is your grades. If you do not focus on your grades then it will not matter what residency you want to go into. Not to mention, it may not even be the residency that you will finally land on. When I started medical school I was gung-ho about emergency medicine. Then I did several rotations in it and really did not like it, then I did a sub-i in critical care and found my calling. I then did IM followed by a CC fellowship. So while you should join the student societies of the specialty you are thinking about and make connections, it will be for naught if you do not maintain your primary focus on your classes and then your steps.
I am not saying not to focus on your grades first and foremost. I am just saying, as a non traditional with a family, I think about residency a lot. Not just which specialty but about location. Do I really want to move my family when my son will be a junior in high school? Should I do family medicine since there are many programs in the area and we won’t have to move? Should I go for something I believe I am more passionate about or is location more important? These are the questions I think about and they are important early on for me. My family is the most important thing. Yes, being a doctor is very high up on the list but I need their support to be a doctor. Considering I have to divide my time with my family I am happy with my grades. I am not at the top of the class but I am not at the bottom either. The ranking has not come out yet but I suspect I am in the middle. I agree grades are important but decisions I decide about residency affect my family too. I only applied to three med schools because I could not relocate. If I didn’t get in to one of those three then I would be done with my dream. Luckily, I did. I know residency is more tricky so lots to consider!

Reactions: 1 users
I am not saying not to focus on your grades first and foremost. I am just saying, as a non traditional with a family, I think about residency a lot. Not just which specialty but about location. Do I really want to move my family when my son will be a junior in high school? Should I do family medicine since there are many programs in the area and we won’t have to move? Should I go for something I believe I am more passionate about or is location more important? These are the questions I think about and they are important early on for me. My family is the most important thing. Yes, being a doctor is very high up on the list but I need their support to be a doctor. Considering I have to divide my time with my family I am happy with my grades. I am not at the top of the class but I am not at the bottom either. The ranking has not come out yet but I suspect I am in the middle. I agree grades are important but decisions I decide about residency affect my family too. I only applied to three med schools because I could not relocate. If I didn’t get in to one of those three then I would be done with my dream. Luckily, I did. I know residency is more tricky so lots to consider!
I was in the same boat and only applied to residencies that were within a 1 hour driving distance. Unfortunately, these are the sacrifices that we need to make as non traditional students. But to make yourself the most competitive in this small radius, you need to ensure that there is nothing to hold you back.