Nontraditional 2.75 undergrad GPA and 3.8 post-bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Justin Bailey

JLOA
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Happy application season guys! I'm finishing up my application and wanted to see what you guys think. I am an nontraditional URM (graduated college in 2012). Just a short history, I was pre-med in college but did not preform as well as I should have. Was over extended with D1 athletics and family hardships but still no excuses here I could have done better. I ended up graduating with a ~2.75 GPA.
After being a regular adult and working for a few years I started volunteering with a rural medicine PCP. I fell in love with medicine again. She motivated me to start shadowing other physicians and start aggressively attacking my weak GPA.
Over the last year and a half I have been taking courses in a non-official post-bacc with plans to finish with a 2nd bachelors in chemistry this spring. My GPA in this program is a 3.8 ( includes 30+ hours of mostly upper level chemistry: Biochem, Quant, Pchem). I take the MCAT next month and I am finishing up my application for the 2017 cycle concurrently.
My question for you guys is 2017 really far-fetched for matriculation in a MD school? My pre-heath advisor is pretty hopeful as long as I keep this upper trend and do well on my MCAT. I want to go to med school regardless of how long it takes; therefore, I am willing to take as many courses and wait as long as needed.

Additional Info:
- Undergrad GPA: 2.75
- Post bacc GPA: 3.9
- 75 hours of shadowing
- 35 hours of volunteering in a rural medicine clinic
- 100+ hours misc. volunteering (feeding homeless, free clinics, after school enrichment)
- 120 hours working as Nerve Conduction Study Tech

Members don't see this ad.

What community do you represent? (and please don't say "The Bronx")

There are MD schools (and all DO) that reward reinvention.

MCAT will make or break you.

Thanks for the tip, I am banking a lot into this test for my chances. I am a black male btw if that is what you were asking.