Nontraditional re-applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GlowCloud

ALL HAIL
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

First time poster. I’m looking for some general feedback on my application. Any and all advice is welcome. Thank you!

Background - I applied twice back in 2013 and 2014. I had one interview for VCU’s MD program, but I was waitlisted and ultimately rejected. Both times I applied narrowly, fairly late, and to a lot of MD/PhD programs. I felt discouraged by the whole process and decided to take some time off to really think about whether I wanted a career in research or in medicine. After four years as a clinical research assistant/coordinator, I’ve finally decided to re-apply to medical school. I’m planning to take the MCAT in March and if that goes well submit my application in June. I haven’t taken a practice test yet (just working on content review right now), but I’m confident I can at least match my old score.

I’m planning to apply early, much more broadly and I’ll include DOs in my school list. Is there anything else I can do to improve my application over the next ~10 months? I feel like my ECs are a little weak, but I’m struggling to balance that portion of my application with my study schedule and a 50 hour work week.

About me:
Graduated in 2013
Psychology major, neuroscience minor
cGPA: 3.72, sGPA: 3.5
Old MCAT: 31P

Old experience:
3.5 years undergrad research in psychology and economics
200 hours shadowing (includes a DO, rural PCP, and a neurologist), 200 hours as a CNA
80 hours at the SPCA, 160 hours for a psychotherapy collective
New experience:
3 papers, 1 poster
4 years direct patient contact as a CRA/CRC doing EEGs, MRIs, neuropsychological testing, taking medical histories, etc.
20 hrs at the SPCA

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As long as you score 500 (25 on old MCAT) or higher on the MCAT you will be competitive for at least 15 DO schools that I know of.
Where is your state of residence ?

Members don't see this ad :)
If your new MCAT is equivalent to your old MCAT of 31 you could receive interviews at Eastern Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth, Virginia Tech and West Virginia. Post your actual score here in the future when available.

Will do. I included Virginia Commonwealth in my last two applications. Assuming I get a decent MCAT score, is it worth reapplying a third time?

You should absolutely apply to all your VA schools. Obviously mcat is yet to be determined but as faha said even a pedestrian score would get you into DO programs. I don't see why you wouldn't be competitive for MD though, especially considering you got uva, VT, evms, vcu

Your application and background remind me very much of my own. Similar numbers, unsuccessful cycles from years ago, and a research background.

One thing my application was missing, that I secured during my successful cycle, was non-clinical volunteering. I spent a year doing a few hundred hours. The fact that you're willing to make some kind of personal sacrifice for the betterment of OTHER HUMANS is something all adcoms want, even if your impact as an unskilled volunteer is low. That's not to say dedicating yourself to animal welfare is bad, but remember which species you're going to be working with.

Some recent shadowing experiences with a DO will also be valuable, too. And don't kill yourself working. I get that you need to bring home the money, and want a good LOR, but your goal is not to be the best research assistant. Its to get into medical school. If you can roll back your hours to study and shadow you need to do it.

Reactions: 1 users
Your application and background remind me very much of my own. Similar numbers, unsuccessful cycles from years ago, and a research background.

One thing my application was missing, that I secured during my successful cycle, was non-clinical volunteering. I spent a year doing a few hundred hours. The fact that you're willing to make some kind of personal sacrifice for the betterment of OTHER HUMANS is something all adcoms want, even if your impact as an unskilled volunteer is low. That's not to say dedicating yourself to animal welfare is bad, but remember which species you're going to be working with.

Some recent shadowing experiences with a DO will also be valuable, too. And don't kill yourself working. I get that you need to bring home the money, and want a good LOR, but your goal is not to be the best research assistant. Its to get into medical school. If you can roll back your hours to study and shadow you need to do it.
I agree with everything you said. However, your last paragraph is probably the most insightful thing I've heard for awhile. The problem that plagues a lot of us non-trads is the inability to convert from being a worker to being a student. We have to realize that our end goal is medical school and subsequently becoming a doctor. It is extremely hard, at least for me, to realize that there will be a day where you don't have a time card to punch on Monday morning. Work is what creates a sense of organization for many of us, but we must realize that we have bigger fish to fry and we need to prepare ourselves for our transition. I wish I had followed my own advice earlier in this process, but you live and you learn. It's either do what you're doing now, or become a physician because you'll be doing one of the two in the next 10 years.

Thanks for the advice! You make some good points. Unfortunately, I can’t do anything about my work situation right now. I’m actually only working 40 hours/week, but it takes me an hour to drive to and from work, so it’s really a 50 hour week. My husband and I are hoping to move sometime in the spring (depending on his job), but at that point I don’t know if it will really help me.

I completely agree about the non-clinical volunteering. I’m still looking for opportunities in my area. The SPCA was the most convenient option given my schedule (plus it’s something that I genuinely enjoy), but I would like to get involved in something more people centered.

As for shadowing a DO, I think I can get connected with one fairly easily. How much shadowing time would be sufficient?

As for shadowing a DO, I think I can get connected with one fairly easily. How much shadowing time would be sufficient?
Very, very little. Some will write an LoR if you make an appointment and talk over coffee! They know it is expected...

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the advice! You make some good points. Unfortunately, I can’t do anything about my work situation right now. I’m actually only working 40 hours/week, but it takes me an hour to drive to and from work, so it’s really a 50 hour week. My husband and I are hoping to move sometime in the spring (depending on his job), but at that point I don’t know if it will really help me.

I completely agree about the non-clinical volunteering. I’m still looking for opportunities in my area. The SPCA was the most convenient option given my schedule (plus it’s something that I genuinely enjoy), but I would like to get involved in something more people centered.

I did about 20 hours with one. I don't think the letter was glowing. I was just polite and quiet and asked questions when she wasn't bothered. Some DO schools REQUIRE a letter and you don't want to be shut out of those. For others, its strongly recommended, but I'm sure you need a REALLY compelling reason for "Why DO" just the same. You never know whose going to look at your app: could be a PhD who doesn't care, could be an OMM professor who overheard students griping about how they'd rather be studying anatomy.

Its just a matter of insurance. If you have a strong app some DO schools are going to be surer bets for you and you don't want to pass up those options.

Reactions: 1 users
Very, very little. Some will write an LoR if you make an appointment and talk over coffee! They know it is expected...

That would be awesome! But if that doesn't happen I can definitely take a couple days to shadow someone. I wouldn't want to get passed over just because I was missing a DO letter!

I would second everything that's been said here. In my estimation, you sound like a pretty solid applicant and (provided an equivalent MCAT score) certainly would be "in the range" of the applicants that I saw admitted to my MD school. I have two pieces of advice to add:

1 - Consider taking an in-person MCAT review course. I took the MCAT several years after graduating college and definitely benefited from the classroom environment. Even the online courses are ok if they have live class time when you can ask questions and clarify points.

2 - Find people to help you with your personal statement and interviewing skills. As you know, the application process is hyper-competitive. You need to know how to come across as someone who is simultaneously dynamic, self-aware, and self-confident, but also humble and teachable. It is a tough balance to achieve if you're not used to talking about yourself and answering questions one-on-one.

Best of luck!!