Nontraditional student schedule. Too aggressive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NotAngie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Forgive me if I start asking too many questions, but I'm obsessive planner and I'm trying to get as much information as possible right now and really prepare myself.

I'm a nontraditional student just starting to tackle my prereqs and my experience.

I work full time. I'm going to be volunteering at a vet clinic starting soon, hopefully around 8-10 hours a week.

I plan to start classes this fall if everything works out perfectly, realistically in the spring. Would I be insane to take 2 classes per semester, work full time, and try to continue my experience hours?

I took very minimal science classes in college so I have a lot of credits that I'll need. If I'm as aggressive as I can possibly be and take 2 classes per semester, including summers, I won't finish my pre-reqs until spring of 2012.

The thing is I really need to do well due to my undergrad GPA. I don't want to mess up my grades by cramming in too much. But at the same time I feel like if I CAN do well it will really show my dedication to vet school.

Members don't see this ad.

Everything you said makes sense. If you can keep your grades up and not go insane then yes it will show how hardcore you are. Really it depends on what the classes are and how confident you are with those subjects. It is definitely a feasible, but hectic schedule. Other insane members of this forum have probably completed semesters with even worse schedules, but that doesn't necessarily make it a good idea.

Personally, I require some small amount of free time to maintain my sanity, so I would probably opt to do a little less and take a little longer. But that is just me.

That sounds like quite the schedule. I have a question though...here in Canada we had to have taken a full course load each semester in order to use those classes toward applying to vet schools, it used to be a minimum of five classes per semester, and is now down to a minimum of three classes per semester. Is this different in the states? If not then you would have to increase the number of classes you are planning on taking each semester, just wanted to make sure this was something you checked out before starting! Good luck!

Also, your science classes need to be up to date, at UPEI if it was more then 6 years since you took a science class you would need to repeat it, or it wouldn't count. How long has it been since you were in college?

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I would probably try one class, full time job, and volunteering first. If it went well, then I would add a second next semester. Better to ease into things and do a good job. I've done working fulltime, 3 hr daily commute, and one class and it sucked pretty badly already. Just my thoughts

then again, for all I know, you could have a job at a library desk or something with loads of study time, no commute, and a low need for sleep. Good luck!

I would agree with the easing in with one class and see how you're doing, then add the second the next semester. You need to know if you can handle the scheduling of your time and the stress that work and school can entail.

I did the few classes a semester thing for a bit (8years with a big gap in the middle), then transferred to a 4-yr university with a full course load to finish my BS.

You don't want to shoot yourself in the foot by overloading all at once...if you do want to take 2 courses to start out (I completely understand wanting to finish as soon as possible), maybe you could take 1 hard class with 1 class that won't be too time consuming (for me, the later of the two would be an intro level class like bio or chemistry...the harder/more consuming would be physics or orgo/biochem). You can always move up to 2 courses at once, after taking 1 course for your first semester. Good luck!

I agree with the idea to start a little slower and then build up - it's easier than realizing halfway through a semester that it's really not working out.

That said, I do think you could build up to the schedule you described, depending on your job. I worked 20 hours a week and took full time classes for most of undergrad (so somewhat similar time commitment to what you want to do) but it did help that there were some nights at work that I was able to squeeze in some homework. If your job is really demanding and tires you out a lot, it might not work as well.

Another schedule that might work is do one class fall semester, one class spring semester, and then two summer classes. Summer classes are usually shorter and more intense (say 6 weeks instead of 16 weeks) so you could take one the first summer session and another the second summer session. That way you would never have to take more than one class at a time, but would still fit in four classes a year.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I will try to calm myself down and take just one class the first semester. I'm just eager b/c I'm already 26 and I feel like I'm "behind" even though I know it doesn't really make a difference if I end up being 29 or 30 when I start vet school.

The problem is there really are no "easy" classes that I have to take. It's 100% science courses.

The other issue is that by the time I get from work to campus, then from campus home it will be time for bed (someone mentioned sleep, and I do have a sleep disorder so I *have* to sleep 9 hours a night, at least).

If I take 2 classes that would mean I'd be doing that 4 days a week meaning that essentially I'd have to do all classwork on the weekends.

I'll start with one class and see how things go from there.

Personally I think it depends on the classes your taking. If:

1. 2 sciences course, both w/ labs = shooting yourself in foot
2. 1 science course w/ lab + nonscience course = possible
3. 2 science courses w/o lab = possible BUT cut down volunteer hours!
4. 2 non science courses = very possible.

Things to keep in mind esp if you're working FT + volunteering. Be realistic about your time commitments:

- Labs usually require group projects + out of class meetings = very time consuming

- 2 courses, regardless science or not, will require some kind of project so again, more out of class time doing research

- You want A's in intro Bio, Chem so if you're taking these courses, decrease volunteer hours or do w/o them...grades are most important esp w/ low undergrad GPA.

I'm non-trad too w/ undergrad transcript riddled w/ C's, W's and a few D's! So try not to do what I did and over commit yourself.
Good Luck!

Hi!

Well your story sounds magically similar to mine! I'm a non-traditional student, done with the bachelors, mediocre-good grades, but with classes to take and lots of experience needed. And I'm not going to tell you you are not insane :) BUT, with hard work, I think your schedule can be done. In fact, it is exactly what I am planning to do. I'm not expecting to have much of a life, but I think that's all in a day's work trying to get into vet school as a non-trad. I currently work 35 hrs/wk volunteering, and I'm about to take on a part-time restaurant job to pay my rent. In the fall I'll be taking one maybe two classes (maybe just one, based on the responses to your post!).

GOOD LUCK and don't worry you'll be fine!
LeAnne

It also depends a lot on the university. As a non-full time student, you are pretty much the last to be able to register, so you either struggle to get into the classes you need OR end up in the sections of the class that are less desirable. I also figured that large state schools would have multiple sections of a class--not true. They just have 1 or 2 sections with 200 people in them, instead of having 50 different sections.

And, of course, some universities (and professors) are more rigorous than others. A microbiology class with multiple choice tests is going to take a lot less of your time than a microbiology class with short answer/essay tests, lab reports, etc. Try to find out as much as you can about the professor and rigor of the class before you start, so you don't end up over your head and with poor grades.

As my undergrad advisor pointed out to me, I could've taken an extra science class in undergrad, but wasn't it better to focus and get an A than be overextended and get a C? At this point in your career (in your last 45 hours especially), just getting the pre-req out of the way and getting a C hurts you a lot more than if you were a freshman in college.

I could've worked full time this fall, but between the schedule I could get at the university and when our clinic was open, it wasn't possible. I also didn't want to take online classes since 1) I learn better in a classroom and 2) some vet schools won't take online classes.

Just some stuff to think about--good luck! :)

As a non-full time student, you are pretty much the last to be able to register, so you either struggle to get into the classes you need OR end up in the sections of the class that are less desirable.

This actually isn't an issue for me. My university (I'm taking my pre-reqs at the same place I got my degree) has a "Science in the Evening" program. It's specifically geared to post-bac students wanting to return to the health/science field.

Same curriculum, but all starting after 6 p.m.

hi,
i'm in the same boat as you are. i'm a non-trad (25 years old), and am beginning the process of taking ALL the prereqs and gaining vet experience.

when i began looking into going back to school, i felt the exact same way you did and just wanted to get everything done. i signed up for chem and physics, both lab courses, worked full time and planned to volunteer a few hours a week.
it was ROUGH, however, i was doing very well in both courses. unfortunately, i actually was not able to register for physics (though i attended the course for a good month) because there was not space available for me. i was totally devastated, but it did prove to me that i can take the courses. but, when i dropped the physics and just took the chem, i felt much healthier and happier. i am not sure that the two courses, on top of a full time job and volunteering, is sustainable for me in the long-run. i plan to load up again later, but for me personally, i cannot do that for the next year and a half it will take me to finish the prereqs. i am glad, in the end, that i was forced to only begin with one course. i decided to take the second part of the chem by itself this quarter (i'm on a quarter system) so i could focus on some other issues, and both quarters now i have received A+'s in the course. if you haven't been in school for awhile, it helps to gain some confidence. you would certainly not want to overload and not do as well as you would like, which might make you quickly wonder why you are going through all this and whether or not you can do it. taking one course for me, and doing very well in it, has made me feel like i can do this and it was worth it for me to deny law school so that i can pursue this dream.
you must be taking your courses at univ. of maryland? i almost did the science in the evening program, but decided to stay in CA and am taking my prereqs at Davis. good luck to you!!!
oh, and one other thing, i do all my work on the weekends. i have found it is not possible at all for me to do work during the week. i alot some weekends for the things i love to do - hiking, traveling - but many are spent studying.

This is a very agressive schedule, but i do believe it can be done. I know many SDNers and others that have worked full time and gone to school full time and done well (some very well, others well enough).

I worked full time and went to school full time for a year, and then part time (20 - 30 hours a week) for the first three years of my undergrad. I made it through, but you need time management skills and remember to prioritize.

You may have to sit out of socializing every weekend, and be ready to run on minimal amounts of sleep.

If you are really dedicated and motivated you may be able to do it. Give it a try for a semester and then re-evaluate.

GOOD LUCK!:luck:

This actually isn't an issue for me. My university (I'm taking my pre-reqs at the same place I got my degree) has a "Science in the Evening" program. It's specifically geared to post-bac students wanting to return to the health/science field.

Same curriculum, but all starting after 6 p.m.

That's AWESOME! Just make sure you're the type of person that can handle evening classes ;)

It is possible. Last semester I worked full time (at an animal hospital), had a part-time job 8-15 hours a week, and got A's in both the classes I took. I did have time for hobbies and other recreation as well. However, I only got 6 hours of sleep most nights. For me that's fine as long as I can catch up once a week, but based on your earlier post that might not work for you.

In response to the Canadian poster, schools are much more lenient toward students who have already completed their first degree as far as courseload is concerned. Even Canadian schools (at least some of them) will take older American students who completed their prereqs part time while working full time. There seems to be a general understanding that an adult who has already spent 4 years earning a degree full-time may not really be able to give up another 2-3 years of income to be able to take classes full time, plus it probably won't actually shorten the time needed to complete classes and will just cost more money. As long as you are working full time and completed undergrad as a full time student, they're usually pretty lenient there.

I worked 50+ hours at the vet clinic and did 2 science courses a semester. Having said that, there were nights I didn't get enough sleep, my commute was 10 minutes round trip, and I barely had time for showers let alone the general chores of life (like housecleaning, laundry, etc.) I did 90% of my studying on weekends, and luckily for me, I had professors who were willing to make sure the syllabus was adequatly detailed so that I could plan ahead. I also took a few days off around finals. My husband said I was a nightmare to live with. The sciences didn't have labs.

Be careful with summer programs. I ended up enrolled in a 4 wk biochem course that required double lectures daily. I got an A, but I really hated those 4 weeks. 3 hours a day of biochem lecture just isn't my cup of tea.

Having said that, there were nights I didn't get enough sleep, my commute was 10 minutes round trip, and I barely had time for showers let alone the general chores of life (like housecleaning, laundry, etc.)

Yeah, I definitely don't think I could handle that on a continuous basis. Maybe an odd semester. Because of my sleep disorder that is one thing that I just can't compromise on. And I do have a 25 minute commute, but it's via public transportation so that time I can spend reading/reviewing material.

Be careful with summer programs. I ended up enrolled in a 4 wk biochem course that required double lectures daily. I got an A, but I really hated those 4 weeks. 3 hours a day of biochem lecture just isn't my cup of tea.

I have considered that. My plan is to take classes over the summer that I have taken already but need to be refreshed in. I also need an english comp class which I might take over summer since that will be easier than trying to take a science class with a lab over the summer.

See, i actually preferred taking Organic I in summer school because it met every day, so it was fresh in my mind every day. Dragging it out for 15 weeks (like I did with Orgo II) just meant I wasn't always thinking about it and it burned me out a lot more than getting it over with in 5 weeks. :) Personal preference though--I think I was one of the few people who did well in that summer school class just because I was one of the few that actually attended class, haha.

See, i actually preferred taking Organic I in summer school because it met every day, so it was fresh in my mind every day. Dragging it out for 15 weeks (like I did with Orgo II) just meant I wasn't always thinking about it and it burned me out a lot more than getting it over with in 5 weeks. :) Personal preference though--I think I was one of the few people who did well in that summer school class just because I was one of the few that actually attended class, haha.

Yeah, but this was a 15 week class crammed into 4 weeks (including the final...no 'reading day' or such.) So we were doing 2 classes per day, not one or even 1.5. I could have handled 1 per day, just not 2 per day, 5 days a week.

A four week biochem -- that would be harsh. I did biochem over the summer, but it was an 8 week class, so we did 1 1/2 hours 5 days a week. I also took cell biology that same session. I liked it myself, it let me focus on two classes rather than the usual five or six. But I also did not have a choice -- I had to have it done before the fall semester b/c I needed to graduate from undergrad so I could start my MS last year.

Hi NotAngie -

I just wanted to chime in that yes, it can be done. I took biochem (no lab) and pathogenic microbiology (lab) in "Science in the Evening", worked full time, volunteered at a clinic for a full day every Saturday and got an A in both classes.

But, I'm not gonna lie, I was super stressed, I gained 10 lbs (didn't have time to cook) and my hair started to fall out. :eek:

It's all about scheduling, though. Make a study schedule for yourself and stick to it and you can do it! Good Luck.:luck: