This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

med-dad-78

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I'm looking for input from nontraditional pre-medical students with families. Can you tell me a little about your experiences and what you learned? I guess another reason is that I don’t feel so alone in this venture. I am usually the oldest in my classes.

This is me:

38-year-old married father of two boys, currently 28 months and 13 months. I work as an elementary school teacher 50-60 hours a week. I've taken one class at a time for the last four years to finish the prerequisites. I withdrew from a class or two: death of the father-in-law, first child, and an adjunct organic professor who was not teaching. I took a year of Bio and Chem in 1996, but retook those courses at a local community college because they were so old. I transferred to a local 4-year college in January and have taken Cell Bio and now Organic I. Biochemistry is in August.

My wife and I talked over the decision a couple years ago and decided to go for it.

About to start volunteering at the local ER on Sunday mornings once the TB test and drug screen comes back.

Questions for you all:

1. What did you look for/are looking for in a medical school? I’ve been to an open house or two, and many of the students were about 15 years younger than me and the schools’ deans gave better answers. If you are already in, what support systems does your family utilize?

2. Will/did your family move with you? Wait-and-see approach? Go home on the weekends?

3. Several older students taking Organic I with me mentioned they are taking Spring 2017 off to study for the MCAT and then take Organic II in the summer if needed. Recommendations? I’ve seen a lot of medical schools that allow Biochemistry to replace Organic II, and some that want a year of upper level chemistry and highly suggest Biochemistry. (I will probably call their admissions offices.)

Anything else I should be asking or considering?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm a premed with 5 kids. Took the mcat this spring and am applying this summer. Finishing my BS over the next year.

My husband has an excellent job and moving would require him to take a big pay cut, and we have kids in middle school and high school that we really don't want to uproot, so we decided to apply everywhere within 3 hours and I'll come home on the weekends, which will give me plenty of time to study during the week. I figure if they move with me, it would be a huge distraction and I'll be stressed about helping at home. Being away will be hard, but I think it will be best, all things considered.

I would take prereqs before attempting the mcat. If you take biochem first, it will help you a ton.

Good luck on your journey!

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone.

I'm looking for input from nontraditional pre-medical students with families. Can you tell me a little about your experiences and what you learned? I guess another reason is that I don’t feel so alone in this venture. I am usually the oldest in my classes.

This is me:

38-year-old married father of two boys, currently 28 months and 13 months. I work as an elementary school teacher 50-60 hours a week. I've taken one class at a time for the last four years to finish the prerequisites. I withdrew from a class or two: death of the father-in-law, first child, and an adjunct organic professor who was not teaching. I took a year of Bio and Chem in 1996, but retook those courses at a local community college because they were so old. I transferred to a local 4-year college in January and have taken Cell Bio and now Organic I. Biochemistry is in August.

My wife and I talked over the decision a couple years ago and decided to go for it.

About to start volunteering at the local ER on Sunday mornings once the TB test and drug screen comes back.

I'm 32 active duty Navy with two kids under two. The struggle is real.

Questions for you all:

1. What did you look for/are looking for in a medical school? I’ve been to an open house or two, and many of the students were about 15 years younger than me and the schools’ deans gave better answers. If you are already in, what support systems does your family utilize?

Honestly, I'm looking to stay in, so I'm looking for USUHS. That said, I'll take HPSP or whatever to any med school that accepts me, basically. I am already 10+ years older than all the guys who work for me and with me. I don't really care if most of my med school classmates are young. I have a few years of experience relating to them.

2. Will/did your family move with you? Wait-and-see approach? Go home on the weekends?

The Navy will move us, so they are coming. I missed enough stuff on deployment.

3. Several older students taking Organic I with me mentioned they are taking Spring 2017 off to study for the MCAT and then take Organic II in the summer if needed. Recommendations? I’ve seen a lot of medical schools that allow Biochemistry to replace Organic II, and some that want a year of upper level chemistry and highly suggest Biochemistry. (I will probably call their admissions offices.)

Anything else I should be asking or considering?

Thanks!

I would try to take all the prereqs first. I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but the program I am applying to will have me take it during Orgo 2, which I'm not looking forward to.