You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
~NonTraditionals~: Ages
Started by AdroitDarkHorse
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
27, but 28 by the time I start if I get in this year. Plus husband, 2 dogs and 1 (soon to be 2) kids. So add in that stuff and it makes me, what, 800 bajillion in med student years????

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm 34 currently, shooting for next 2011 school year... i must be crazy
Hardly.
26 about to turn 27. Will be 30 when I start (2 years pre-reqs that I just started this summer + gap year)
26 now, 30 when I enter after completing a PhD. It's crazy but when I decided to go to med school, I suddenly felt old. I start thinking of how I'll be 34 when I get out ... and 40 not soon after. I am already thinking I'm 40!! Is this some kind of mental illness? Now everything is in terms of how old I'll be when I get out.
Just turned 26, with a BS in Business and 2 years of pre-reqs in front of me
I'm 34 currently, shooting for next 2011 school year... i must be crazy
Not so fast, I am 40 . . . Enjoy the ride!! 🙂
I'm 34 currently, shooting for next 2011 school year... i must be crazy
Not so fast . . . I am 40 and will be applying in 2011 . . . Enjoy the ride!! 🙂
I'm 34 currently, shooting for next 2011 school year... i must be crazy
Not so fast . . . I am 40 and will be applying in 2011 . . . Enjoy the ride!! 🙂
I'm 34 currently, shooting for next 2011 school year... i must be crazy
Not so fast . . . I am 40 and will be applying in 2011 . . . Enjoy the ride!! 🙂
30 going on 31...yay!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am 26 going on 27, applying for 2010.
I am 51-years-old (scratch the old part). I am applying for 2010 admission. I have had it up to my eyeballs with being a lawyer.
34 now. Will be applying for 2012 admission.
Last edited:
I am 30 - 31 when I apply next summer!
What is the consensus on here as far as applying MD or DO?
What is the consensus on here as far as applying MD or DO?
I am 30 - 31 when I apply next summer!
What is the consensus on here as far as applying MD or DO?
I'd be more worried about picking out my cemetery plot if I were you.
I am 25 now, but am just now transferring into a 4 year university in the Spring to complete my degree and pre-reqs.
I'll be 28 during my first year of medical school (depending on if I get in when I plan to) and will be a full fledged doc at *gulp* 36.
I'll be 28 during my first year of medical school (depending on if I get in when I plan to) and will be a full fledged doc at *gulp* 36.
Turning 28 tomorrow and am hoping to matriculate in 2010.
Two months shy of 27 (sheesh first time thinking that)... probably looking at 31-32 when I hopefully start.
Turning 28 tomorrow and am hoping to matriculate in 2010.
Happy Bday!!!😀
Good Luck to all the non-trads applying to medical school...and an extra good luck for next cycle (that's when I will be applying 🙂 ).
28. 2 years left of pre-reqs. hope to matriculate 2012 when I'm 31. eek!
~"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and could say, 'I used everything You gave me.'"~ Erma Bombeck .
I love love love the quote
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am 51 and 11/12 years old. Right now I am an M1 at The University of Nebraska Medical Center and having the time of my life!
BAD A**

I hope to be in my first year by my 29th birthday. Possibly up to two years before that is possible, but not probable.
27 going on 17, applying this year. Good luck everyone!
27.5 yo matriculate at 28. Good luck everyone!
Have a degree in biology and mathematics...
25 turning 26 in less than a month...
Hopefully will start medical school when I'm 27 turning 28...
We'll see...
25 turning 26 in less than a month...
Hopefully will start medical school when I'm 27 turning 28...
We'll see...
26 now, starting prereqs this summer at 27 and will be 30 at matriculation if all goes according to plan!
S
sheiladoc
36 now, will finish with my prereqs this fall, hopefully 37 at matriculation...
Good luck to us all!!!
Good luck to us all!!!
30, will be applying at 39
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
38 now, prepping to apply in 2010 (I'll be 39) for hopeful Fall 2011 admissions (then I'll be 40). Probably a very long shot with my undergrad grades, but I don't think I can do much about it (I have since earned an MS and and MFA, so going back for a post-bacc just seems silly).
.
Last edited:
26 - goal is to apply for 2012 (would be 29 during fall semester)
contemplating 2011
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
-Robert Frost
This is the road we chose, to follow our passion rather then to maintain our previous course through life, age is no factor when you love what you do.
at least this is what i tell myself, and i think its working
contemplating 2011
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
-Robert Frost
This is the road we chose, to follow our passion rather then to maintain our previous course through life, age is no factor when you love what you do.
at least this is what i tell myself, and i think its working
I'd be more worried about picking out my cemetery plot if I were you.
Hmmm seems like a troll-like comment. . .but hey, listen. If you, regardless of how you are, want to do your family a favor, go out and plan your own funeral and pick your own plot now. Seriously. If they will be stressed at your loss, which hopefully--at least from the perspective of them valuing you--they will be, well be kind to them and take the edge off. There is nothing worse than having to plan a funeral when you are blowm out of the water by grief. It's a kindness to take that burden off of them. I've been through it. I know what I am talking about.
And you see, no one knows when they will die.
I've seen a number of very young med students bite it as well as young docs over the years.
BTW, with the advancing number of individual Americans that have many decades of life on them, it would be wise to drop such an ageistic attitude. These people need smart but yes also insightful, compassionate, humble, and wise physicians. And listen to the cliche' about life/time/age sneaking up on your faster than you think. Remember, if you live long enough, you'll be in their shoes. Ageism won't do you well then, and it certainly doesn't help your interactions with other people and patient now.
Ageism won't do you well then, and it certainly doesn't help your interactions with other people and patient now.
I tell you what. Before I join the throng of greivance claimants and become an anti-ageist activist, I'll make a deal with them. They can mock my grey hairs and middle-age spread, if I get to condescend to them and patronize them for their lack of experience.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 1K
- Replies
- 18
- Views
- 3K