Navy Norfolk credentialing tour

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LFA20

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what sort of procedures credentialers get to do at norfolk?

thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on where they stick you.

The year I spent there, they stuck one guy in Comp which is basically the general dentistry department, so standard operative/prosth. You'll get a chance to work a little in each specialty department if you want but not in a structured format like the AEGD residents. the other guy got stuck in OD which is basically 30-40 exams a day, until about 3 months before he left for OMFS residency where he basically moved to OMFS for several days a week.

Also depends if you end up at Sewell’s Point or one of the other branch clinics, but I would agree with vellnueve. You will become quite proficient at exams and amalgams.

Members don't see this ad :)
P
Also depends if you end up at Sewell’s Point or one of the other branch clinics, but I would agree with vellnueve. You will become quite proficient at exams and amalgams.

Man that sucks... do I get to do crowns, extractions, and endo?
What are the clinics at Norfolk aside from Sewells point?

Depends on where they stick you.

The year I spent there, they stuck one guy in Comp which is basically the general dentistry department, so standard operative/prosth. You'll get a chance to work a little in each specialty department if you want but not in a structured format like the AEGD residents. the other guy got stuck in OD which is basically 30-40 exams a day, until about 3 months before he left for OMFS residency where he basically moved to OMFS for several days a week.

A credentialer got straight into OMFS right after his first yr?

Noice.

Really not trying to hijack this thread - but could anyone give me a quick rundown on credentialing tours and HPSP? Are they mandatory for all Navy dentists straight out of dental school? How long do they last? How do they affect applying to Navy specialties?

Thanks all

I think it’s usuall
A credentialer got straight into OMFS right after his first yr?

Noice.

No, he was accepted prior to his credentialing year and they had to stick him somewhere.

Really not trying to hijack this thread - but could anyone give me a quick rundown on credentialing tours and HPSP? Are they mandatory for all Navy dentists straight out of dental school? How long do they last? How do they affect applying to Navy specialties?

Thanks all
“Credentialing tour” is just what they call your first year in the Navy if you’re not in an AEGD/GPR. Pretty much just going to have you do a few specialty rotations here and there.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 user
Man that sucks... do I get to do crowns, extractions, and endo?
What are the clinics at Norfolk aside from Sewells point?

Keep in mind that this is anecdotal, but I spent two weeks extracting teeth and two weeks on pre-extraction therapy working with oral surgeons and endodontists, respectively. Did some crowns as well-I certainly didn't have anyone telling me I COULDN'T do them. So yes, you will get to do crowns, extractions and endo...but the majority of your patients will need fillings so that is what will occupy the majority of your time.

NMCP (Portsmouth Hospital), Oceana and Dam Neck have all had credentialers in the past. There are other clinics in the area but most are smaller and will not support a credentialer.

How do they affect applying to Navy specialties?

If you have two individuals competing for a spot and all aspects of their applications are equal, but one completed a credentialing tour and the other completed a GPR/AEGD, that post-grad training will make a difference.

Reactions: 1 users
After doing a credentialing tour for one year blue side such as Norfolk how hard is it to get a 2 yr green side operational billet in lejeune, Pendleton, 29 palms, or Yuma AZ?

After doing a credentialing tour for one year blue side such as Norfolk how hard is it to get a 2 yr green side operational billet in lejeune, Pendleton, 29 palms, or Yuma AZ?
Pendleton isn’t going to happen. Most ending up there are coming off of operational assignments to ships or overseas. The detailer told me there are something like 40 people vying for 20 or so slots.

Big Hoss

Last edited:
Pendleton isn’t going to happen. Most ending up there are coming off of operational assignments to ships or overseas. The detailer told me there are something like 40 people vying for 20 or so slots.

Big Hoss

I see but for the rest of them(lejeune, Yuma, and 29 palms) I should have a good shot correct?

1FBDB66C-E3B4-4A49-A6B4-92A2034206CF.jpeg

Big Hoss

Lol at “stumps”...

Reactions: 2 users