Normal for people to quit already?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ok, let me explain how this works again, using Dungeons and Dragons terms.

Academic Success Before Medical School:
is based on your Intelligence stat: how you can use your brilliance to reason through mathematical proofs and English lit essays.

Academic Success In Medical School:
is based on your Constitution stat: how you can use your sheer fortitude to beast your way through hordes of Histo, Pharm, and Patho lectures. Despite what Anasto might say, it takes a different skillset than getting through the English lit essay or the Physics problem set.

The people who succeed in medical school have high Constitution stats. "Intelligence" doesn't mean **** here.

From what I understand, 3rd year tests your Charisma stat...which means I am truly doomed.

my nerd cup floweth over......I love you ark....and now I miss playing elder scrolls

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Lol the BS you hear from people at some orientation or tour isn't actual real information from students. If people in your family are practicing medicine (as an attending) or dentistry, they are likely too far removed from the process for their opinions on the experience to be similar to nowadays. If you listen to the kiss*ss giving tours, their opinion also isn't really relevant.

But yes, keep on with your "insider info." Just another delusional pre med, you aren't the first and you certainly won't be the last.

It seems like the only way to not be considered delusional under your standards is to actually go through the process yourself, in which case you and all other medical students on this forum should just stop giving advice in the pre-allo forum by default. It doesn't matter what actual med/dental students say. In case you're wondering, An attending in my family has less than 4 years of experience after residency and the dentist has had 5-6 years of experience in the real world. So they graduated about a decade ago.

Also, why would any tours put down med school students as gunners? lmao

i graduated relatively recently, and *I* will tell you that school was no cakewalk, that most of us studied friday and saturday nights(at least our D1/D2 years) and that there were LOTS of gunner-types.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You also specialized, which I believe requires you to be in the top 10% of your class. You conveniently forgot to mention that. Unless my information is toooo outdated for you, I think that would explain everything.

Last edited:
Lol no I dont. Actually I have heard it is harder because dental students take dental labs on top of the same basic science courses medical students also take. But again, correct me if I am wrong.

Further proof that you have no clue what you're talking about. I have a lot of required components to my curriculum on top of the didactic component. Clinical skills, interviewing fake patients (lol), PBL, required shadowing... all of these things (probably 12-15 hours/wk) on top of the 15-17ish hours of lecture. The fact that whoever you're getting this advice from only had classes without any other required clinical component in the first two years suggests that they probably went to school a long time ago. So basically, PL198 is spot on.

Well, problem based learning has its own special curriculum. Not every med school teaches the same way so your situation makes sense. There's obviously exceptions guys and I'm sorry if you thought I was making blanket statements, but I can't possibly conjure up every single exception to what I said.

It seems like the only way to not be considered delusional under your standards is to actually go through the process yourself, in which case you and all other medical students on this forum should just stop giving advice in the pre-allo forum by default. It doesn't matter what actual med/dental students say. In case you're wondering, An attending in my family has less than 4 years of experience after residency and the dentist has had 5-6 years of experience in the real world. So they graduated about a decade ago.

Also, why would any tours put down med school students as gunners? lmao

Lol you just indicated that the only other type of medical student besides kiss*ss is a gunner, so I'm just gonna ignore everything you say. Out of a 150 person class, those 2 groups make up less than 10 ppl , but ok carry on with your wealth of knowledge.

We try to help you out to pull you from the insanity you all manage to drum up in your delusional little heads. I don't really care though, feel free to think a bunch of stupid crap that will just hurt you in the future.

I don't have any delusional thoughts. Have you ever heard me talking about rainbows and flowers with regards to medicine? In fact, If I did, I probably would have ended up going to medical school lmao. Feel free to go through my past posts too (if you have time for it). Not once.

Last edited:
Lol the BS you hear from people at some orientation or tour isn't actual real information from students. If people in your family are practicing medicine (as an attending) or dentistry, they are likely too far removed from the process for their opinions on the experience to be similar to nowadays. If you listen to the kiss*ss giving tours, their opinion also isn't really relevant.

But yes, keep on with your "insider info." Just another delusional pre med, you aren't the first and you certainly won't be the last.

I now understand what you were saying. I misunderstood. My bad.

Why would you think he wouldn't go to strip clubs? The men who go there aren't usually people who easily pick up women.
I just figured he would be too scared/nervous lol!

I don't have a problem with going to strip clubs for the record. I think they are fun! I used to go more when I was under 21 though, now I'd rather go out and drink

I can't believe you guys are talking about this **** in this thread while I got flagged in the pre-allo forum for saying this sentence "do it brah. Then you can talk about in your interviews about how much you shotgunned in college".

NOT FAIR.
No.

It appears to me that you were "flagged" saying something offensive, not for the comment above.

Ah. I think I know what you're referring to. My apologies.

Reactions: 1 users
my nerd cup floweth over......I love you ark....and now I miss playing elder scrolls

Heh thanks. Lot of haters these days, but I'm happy to see that I still have some people supporting me.

In any case, some more words of wisdom about med school. To paraphrase Weezy,

Prepared for the worst, but still prayin' for the best,
Med school is a bish, I got my hands up her dress.

Namsayin?

Members don't see this ad :)
Heh thanks. Lot of haters these days, but I'm happy to see that I still have some people supporting me.

In any case, some more words of wisdom about med school. To paraphrase Weezy,

Prepared for the worst, but still prayin' for the best,
Med school is a bish, I got my hands up her dress.

Namsayin?

download.jpg

No! Bad boy.

Reactions: 4 users
Somebody with a very analytical mind pm me please .

That's not necessarily true. Some of the biggest gunners I knew freaking loved it. They lived and breathed med school for four years. Now maybe they were secretly miserable, but on the exterior they were all Tracy Flick
Yes, Tracy Flick (hardly happy), not Elle Woods.

Last edited:
It seems like the only way to not be considered delusional under your standards is to actually go through the process yourself, in which case you and all other medical students on this forum should just stop giving advice in the pre-allo forum by default.
Med students have gone through premed by default, genius.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm convinced you post stuff like this because you know it annoys 99% of us.

Oh come on, don't any of you guys listen to Lil' Wayne? He's one of my favorite artists :(

Here's the song I was referring to:

(Warning: NSFW Language)

ark I would have thought you to be the more Bollywood 24/7 type
Nope, I would have pegged him for a rap, hip hop loving guy. Those are his idols, mang: money, cars, bishes.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't get his whole if you put patients first, you have to be second. "Patients first" never meant to refer to a discussion on how much doctors are reimbursed lol. Also, there is no reason doctors cannot advocate both for their own benefits as well as the benefits of patients.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't get his whole if you put patients first, you have to be second. "Patients first" never meant to refer to a discussion on how much doctors are reimbursed lol. Also, there is no reason doctors cannot advocate both for their own benefits as well as the benefits of patients.
Any time I hear "patients first" I reflexively zone out. I want to do my best, but I'll always be number one. Sorry, that's just the way it is.

We lost one 3-4 weeks in. He was obviously unhappy from day 1.
One failed a couple classes and repeated 1st year and went on to graduate.
One was expelled in first year for cheating and the person she cheated with was allowed to withdraw in lieu of expulsion.
One self destructed in 4th year and never graduated, even though he was offered the chance to come back the following year.
So, we lost 5 people out of 130 over 4 years.
A few more didn't go into residency to pursue other opportunities.

We lost one 3-4 weeks in. He was obviously unhappy from day 1.
One failed a couple classes and repeated 1st year and went on to graduate.
One was expelled in first year for cheating and the person she cheated with was allowed to withdraw in lieu of expulsion.
One self destructed in 4th year and never graduated, even though he was offered the chance to come back the following year.
So, we lost 5 people out of 130 over 4 years.
A few more didn't go into residency to pursue other opportunities.
What do u mean self-destructed? Why not finish up the degree, so you have something?

What do u mean self-destructed? Why not finish up the degree, so you have something?
He was one of my friends. Just lost all interest in medicine, didn't want to continue. Stopped going to rotations and just did nothing for several months trying to figure out what he wanted to do with his life. He had a strong family history of early cardiac death and disability. I think he just decided that being a physician was not the way he wanted to live his, probably abbreviated, life.
We tried to get him to just finish, schedule all no call 7-3 electives, but he wouldn't do it. PM&R would have been a good option. He was an OK student, passed USMLE, etc and people liked him. Passing electives wasn't going to be a problem.
He moved back home, told us he was going to take the rest of the year off and come back, but he didn't. I can't help but think he would have had so many more options with his degree, even without a residency. But he is happy now and has a nice family.