North Carolina Job outlook/pay range

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tongiecc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, you are all very helpful on here so I thought I might be able to ask for some of your input. My wife is from NC (Greensboro/Chapel Hill area) and we are thinking that we may move back there when she finishes school in ~1.5yrs (we are in Kansas City now). I know that the job market and pay is pretty standard everywhere but if any of you are from the area and have a more specific idea of how things are in the Greensboro/Chapel Hill area or just NC in general I would really appreciate it.
Oh and one more thing, how easy is it to get a job at the hospitals there when you have mostly retail experience (I work retail full time and do prn work for a local community hospital of about 275 beds)

Thanks a bunch

Members don't see this ad.

I am from Durham, and I remember seeing somewhere that the average pharmacist salary is around $100,000 for the area. BTW, Chapel Hill and Greensboro are about 1 to 1.5 hours apart, so can you be specific at which city you plan to look at? I would suggest the RDU area (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill). It is a booming area and is rapidly becoming one of the best places to live in the country. Cary (also in the RDU) is another great place to look at if you want a safe and high standard of living.

I'm not really sure about how easy it is to get a job at a hospital, transitioning from retail, but I'm sure it's not difficult. If you move to near Chapel Hill, then 2 major healthcare systems I would look at are UNC and Duke, which are only about 15min apart.

All I know about NC is that Rite Aid had approx. a 500 pharmacist deficit about 3 months ago, so theres plenty of jobs there!

Members don't see this ad :)
All I know about NC is that Rite Aid had approx. a 500 pharmacist deficit about 3 months ago, so theres plenty of jobs there!

True. A CVS representative that visited my university said that NC was among the top 5 states with that largest deficits. So I'm sure that there are plenty of openings in both retail and hospital.

greensboro has a need especially. they can't get anyone to stay there for some reason. i guess i'll find out why since i just signed with a company of up there and i'd say the average is well above 100k.

Rxwildcat, inquirer89, and jpharmfarm thanks a bunch for your input, I really appreciate it guys.

Inquirer- I think that its more likely that we would be in the greensboro area; any good hospital systems you know of there? thanks

Also, do you all know of any good employers around the area that are neither hospital or retail? (home health, infusion, healthcare development co., etc) for instance in the KC area there is the healthcare software company Cerner and there are some pretty cool pharm jobs there that deal with more than Rx processing; just thought that if I will have to change jobs I might as well look @ everything out there

thanks guys

I don't know much about Greensboro but Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center is just down the road in Winston Salem.

Don't know much about employers either, sorry.

thats cool, I appreciate the input, thanks for everything

Does anyone know about the Charlotte area?

I was thinking of moving there after school. I' m from Fayetteville originally, but definitely do not want to move back there. I would like to be closer to family and all, but I've enjoyed living in Jacksonville and New Orleans since I moved away 8 years ago, and I figured Charlotte may be able to compare a little more than Fayettenam. Plus season tickets to the Panthers! :D

If you want to be really picky with your job opportunities, stay out of the RDU area. Chapel Hill, Raleigh, Durham, surrounding areas DO have jobs & plenty of them, but the shortages are more severe to the west and east (especially northeast NC) and so your wife might be able to negotiate a pretty sweet deal for herself in these areas.

My husband and I are planning on leaving the area after I graduate (in part) for that reason. We think we'll likely go west over east.

If you want to be really picky with your job opportunities, stay out of the RDU area. Chapel Hill, Raleigh, Durham, surrounding areas DO have jobs & plenty of them, but the shortages are more severe to the west and east (especially northeast NC) and so your wife might be able to negotiate a pretty sweet deal for herself in these areas.

My husband and I are planning on leaving the area after I graduate (in part) for that reason. We think we'll likely go west over east.

I've heard that there are scholarships/contracts that help pay for tuition if you work in the underdeveloped areas of NC, like the mountains or northeast. Is there truth to that, or are you part of it?

I've heard that there are scholarships/contracts that help pay for tuition if you work in the underdeveloped areas of NC, like the mountains or northeast. Is there truth to that, or are you part of it?

I'm sure there are incentives for going to underserved areas, but I'm not sure of them. I haven't accepted any offers like that, because I don't want to be an indentured servant after I graduate. If you're thinking about going out to an underserved area, I'd check with whomever you were thinking of working for and see if they offer anything like that. Just beware, lots of times there's a catch.