You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
North Dakota is starting to look good.
Started by harrybarry
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Have you ever heard the phrase "40 below keeps the riff raff out?" We don't just say that because it's cute.
You might be 20 degrees colder, but you don't get nearly as much snow as western NYAs you know all of the community pharmacies in ND are owned by a pharmacist by owning 51% of the stock in the company, except for the ~11 CVS stores who were grandfathered into the ND law.
I've lived in ND my whole life and I plan to get out of the state for a while so I don't know much about the job market in the rural parts of North Dakota, but I do know that Fargo is completely saturated.
Pharmacists Salary is also lower here in ND. I'm not sure on the exact figure but I would assume it's 45 an hour or less if you are in a rural part of ND.
If you expect to live on the western part of the state(Dickinson, Williston, etc.), expect to pay quite a bit of money on housing/rent and increased cost of living due to the oil boom that ND is experiencing right now. I've seen apartments for rent in Dickinson for around 1100 a month for a one or two bedroom apartment.
As for turn around time for licensure, I can't help you there since I don't graduate until May, but I would assume it is very quick since the board of pharmacy is very good to it's pharmacists here in ND. There is also a practical exam.
The Winters are brutally cold here. Winter can start in october and often start to let up in march/april. During the months of December and January, I wouldn't expect the temperatures to break the 0 F. The winds on the eastern side of the state just make the already freezing cold temperatures even harder to endure. The past couple years we've had days which have been -50 or -60 F in windchill. Many times people often need to plug in their cars in order for them to start in the morning because the engine blocks get so cold during the night.
Just another side note to reiterate how cold it is here, I believe Fargo won the weather channels who has the toughest winters contest last year.
. But why are you guys so cold? Is it the elevation? I know Seattle isn't so bad, and thats roughly the same latitude as Fargo. Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You might be 20 degrees colder, but you don't get nearly as much snow as western NY. But why are you guys so cold? Is it the elevation? I know Seattle isn't so bad, and thats roughly the same latitude as Fargo.
landlocked. since there's no water nearby to store solar energy, temperature is not buffered like in the coastal or great lakes states
You might be 20 degrees colder, but you don't get nearly as much snow as western NY. But why are you guys so cold? Is it the elevation? I know Seattle isn't so bad, and thats roughly the same latitude as Fargo.
Yeah, that place is ****ing hot in the summer and ridiculous cold in the winter. And not much to do over their either. Only cities where I'd consider relocating to in that region of the country would be Minneapolis, Milwuakee, or Green Bay. Probably Green Bay because it's home to my 2nd favorite football team.
You might be 20 degrees colder, but you don't get nearly as much snow as western NY. But why are you guys so cold? Is it the elevation? I know Seattle isn't so bad, and thats roughly the same latitude as Fargo.
that drive on route 90 from buffalo to erie is one of the most TREACHEROUS drives ever in winter time I have ever done
you mean "the 90" 😛that drive on route 90 from buffalo to erie is one of the most TREACHEROUS drives ever in winter time I have ever done
I guess I'm sort of used to it now, put some weight in your trunk and you'll be fine.
Anyone apply to North Dakota? Their licensing process seems to be very fast. And, they seem to have many jobs. Any1 up there? Would I need a heated car?
Just curious... Did you work during pharmacy school? And if so why did they not hire you?
you mean "the 90" 😛
I guess I'm sort of used to it now, put some weight in your trunk and you'll be fine.
i just avoid it now whenever Im travelling in that area
we have awd + snow tires....but still, there are some times you cant go faster than 15 when its snowing so hard
So MSN says, if you're unemployed, "go to North Dakota"... interesting. 😉
http://money.msn.com/investing/unemployed-go-to-north-dakota-cnbc.aspx
http://money.msn.com/investing/unemployed-go-to-north-dakota-cnbc.aspx
So MSN says, if you're unemployed, "go to North Dakota"... interesting. 😉
http://money.msn.com/investing/unemployed-go-to-north-dakota-cnbc.aspx
I live in a neighboring state and I'm still not sure I'd want to move to North Dakota. Honestly, the upper Midwest is pretty darn cold in the winter already, and then add in the desolation you get in outstate MN, ND and SD....it makes for a long winter.
I have lived in ND my whole life, I am pre pharmacy right now, and planning to stay in ND after college. Its a great state I love it, but people that are not from here can negative about it, but the cold defiantly keeps the riff raff out. A lot of my family members that come up to visit alway remark about how clean ND is and how peaceful it is. I guess I just take that for granted.
North Dakota: no crime, no traffic, no smog, and lots of jobs. Yes, it gets cold in the winter, but you get use to it. It doesn't bug me at all. However it has been 80 here for the past week strange weather for Oct.
North Dakota: no crime, no traffic, no smog, and lots of jobs. Yes, it gets cold in the winter, but you get use to it. It doesn't bug me at all. However it has been 80 here for the past week strange weather for Oct.
I live in a neighboring state and I'm still not sure I'd want to move to North Dakota. Honestly, the upper Midwest is pretty darn cold in the winter already, and then add in the desolation you get in outstate MN, ND and SD....it makes for a long winter.
Gopher fan a little sore about losing to NDSU in football for the 2nd straight time??.... I kid... I kid.... 😉
Gopher fan a little sore about losing to NDSU in football for the 2nd straight time??.... I kid... I kid.... 😉
To be fair, Fargo's a nice little town, but that's not where the jobs in ND are.
I feel bad for us Gophers though...even Duluth has winning teams (hockey)...a Big Ten school like the U of M shouldn't be getting beat by NDSU! 😉