Northern Illinois University DPT Class of 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard Bradley is very hard to get in to because of their small class size. I interviewed at Midwestern in October and was accepted in November.

This waiting game from NIU is killing me. Any word on when acceptances may be going out?
any tips on midwestern? I just got an interview for tomorrow? what was the writing prompt like?

any tips on midwestern? I just got an interview for tomorrow? what was the writing prompt like?

The writing prompt wasn’t too bad. It gave you 2 different questions to choose from. One question asked about professionalism in PT and another asked if everyone should receive a participation trophy. Make sure you write as much as you can though because the essay you write is the only information the interviewers have about you. It’s basically a blind interview.

I interviewed with 2 faculty members and it lasted about 20-30 minutes. They really try to get to know you as a person during the interview and want to know your experiences in PT and why you want to go into the field. I would also have a good answer for “Why Midwestern”. Do some research on their website if you haven’t already. Good luck!!

The writing prompt wasn’t too bad. It gave you 2 different questions to choose from. One question asked about professionalism in PT and another asked if everyone should receive a participation trophy. Make sure you write as much as you can though because the essay you write is the only information the interviewers have about you. It’s basically a blind interview.

I interviewed with 2 faculty members and it lasted about 20-30 minutes. They really try to get to know you as a person during the interview and want to know your experiences in PT and why you want to go into the field. I would also have a good answer for “Why Midwestern”. Do some research on their website if you haven’t already. Good luck!!
yeah ive been trying but they literally called me today and offered for a interview for tomorrow so I haven't had a whole lot of time to prepare.

Did you apply to any other programs or just NIU?

I applied to a couple other PT schools. I think NIU would be a great program, but I have been having some concerns. They have an extreme low ultimate pass rate compared to the national average and I always get different answers from faculty to the same question when I email them. I work at a clinic and my coworker graduated from their program and stated that they are in the process of revamping it. I'm not quite sure how I feel about being in a "guinea pig" class for their revised program. Hopefully, we will hear back soon though!

Last edited:
I applied to a couple other PT schools in Wisconsin. I think NIU would be a great program, but I have been having some concerns. They have an extreme low ultimate pass rate compared to the national average and I always get different answers from faculty to the same question when I email them. I work at a pediatric therapy clinic and my coworker graduated from their program and stated that they are in the process of revamping it. I'm not quite sure how I feel about being in a "guinea pig" class for their revised program. Hopefully, we will hear back soon though!

That is a little concerning regarding the pass rate. I agree, hopefully we hear soon!

How did your interview go?
It was good! My writing prompt was iffy but I feel like I killed the interview part for once. So we will see. I can see how you have some reservation with the price though holy ****. I guess niu has sent out acceptance a kid in my group interviewed later and got in but I doubt he goes there because he got accepted to northwestern uic and three other places. The reason for the low pass rate I was talking to a student is because schools rig their school to make it look better than it reallly is but last year they had a 91% pass rate your education is in your hands.

Members don't see this ad :)
It was good! My writing prompt was iffy but I feel like I killed the interview part for once. So we will see. I can see how you have some reservation with the price though holy ****. I guess niu has sent out acceptance a kid in my group interviewed later and got in but I doubt he goes there because he got accepted to northwestern uic and three other places. The reason for the low pass rate I was talking to a student is because schools rig their school to make it look better than it reallly is but last year they had a 91% pass rate your education is in your hands.

I wonder how many acceptances they have sent out. Did he say when he had to let them know?

Did anybody hear anything this week?
Nope. I emailed them yesterday morning to see what they would say as I have some decisions to make within the next week and it all depends on their answer. They haven't emailed me back yet.

Nope. I emailed them yesterday morning to see what they would say as I have some decisions to make within the next week and it all depends on their answer. They haven't emailed me back yet.

I also have some decisions to make soon as well. The least they could do would be to either send denials or wait-list people rather than not communicate at all.

Agreed super ****INF frustrating

No kidding. I haven't received an email back, and even if I did with information, I would take it with a grain of salt because their faculty members are not on the same page with concrete answers when I have communicated with them, which is so frustrating.

No kidding. I haven't received an email back, and even if I did with information, I would take it with a grain of salt because their faculty members are not on the same page with concrete answers when I have communicated with them, which is so frustrating.
I don’t understand how they haven’t said anything about waitlist or rejection but sent out acceptances

I don’t understand how they haven’t said anything about waitlist or rejection but sent out acceptances

What faculty member did you email?

What faculty member did you email?

I emailed the PT email address that is on their website back in October to see if I could get a timeline of when we would hear back about an interview, etc. as I have a couple prerequisites to take and need to know so I can enroll in them. One faculty member said that I should hear back no later than a week after I submitted my application if I received an interview for November 10th. Another faculty member responded to my same email saying "their interview process and application status are completed on different levels and that we should hear back within the next couple months whether we received an interview." Needless to say, I was informed the following day that I received an interview from that same faculty member who said we would hear back in a couple months....so, I am not sure why they are not on the same page with questions that should have concrete answers across all faculty.

The email I just sent last week was just to the general PT email address again and I was not sure who I wanted to ask or who would provide me a realistic and honest answer. Hopefully we will hear back soon!

Agreed. I just don't understand how they sent out acceptances, but no waitlist or rejections.

I emailed the PT email address that is on their website back in October to see if I could get a timeline of when we would hear back about an interview, etc. as I have a couple prerequisites to take and need to know so I can enroll in them. One faculty member said that I should hear back no later than a week after I submitted my application if I received an interview for November 10th. Another faculty member responded to my same email saying "their interview process and application status are completed on different levels and that we should hear back within the next couple months whether we received an interview." Needless to say, I was informed the following day that I received an interview from that same faculty member who said we would hear back in a couple months....so, I am not sure why they are not on the same page with questions that should have concrete answers across all faculty.

The email I just sent last week was just to the general PT email address again and I was not sure who I wanted to ask or who would provide me a realistic and honest answer. Hopefully we will hear back soon!

I know one person who was accepted said they had to let them know of their decision by Jan. 20th so I would imagine they will send out more offers this coming week.

That still doesn’t explain why they haven’t let others know where their application stands. Oh well, only time will tell I guess.

Do they let you know your spot on the wait-list?
Nope, they just said that if a spot opens they’ll let us know, which could happen at any point between now and the start of the program in the fall.

I’m assuming you did not hear anything back regarding your waitlist position?
I emailed them right after they sent out the waitlist emails and no one has gotten back to me. So idk if they are just bad at communicating or what

I asked, and they did give me an approximate number. I didn't ask how many applicants are on the wait list.

Sent from my Pixel XL using SDN mobile

Let me know if they give you an answer. Thanks!

I never got a response back from my initial email I sent last week about my waitlist number, but I got an automated email late last night saying I was 7th. I wonder how many they typically accept off the waitlist.

Last edited:
I never got a response back from my initial email I sent last week about my waitlist number, but I got an automated email late last night saying I was 7th. I wonder how many they typically accept off the waitlist. I am still not a fan of their bad communication.
Is it likely that they will select anyone off the wait list? I just got my wait list email today as well.

Hi guys!

I got the waitlist email too ):
Then a late email Tuesday saying I was 3 on the WL....I would also be curious to know how many they typically pull off the waitlist...and also if they keep us updated on the rankings?

Hi guys!

I got the waitlist email too ):
Then a late email Tuesday saying I was 3 on the WL....I would also be curious to know how many they typically pull off the waitlist...and also if they keep us updated on the rankings?
This is the first ranking a program has actually told me but im not sure how often NIU picks off them. I know of people who have gotten into other programs 35th on the WL and those who didnt being 5th. Feel like it depends more on the year and incoming class :/ good luck to everyone!

Hello everyone,

I got waitlisted on 1/22, but never received my waitlist number. Then, on 1/29 I got an email notifying me of acceptance. So the waitlist is moving but I'm not exactly sure how fast. I am still deciding on whether or not I am going to accept the position.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone,

I got waitlisted on 1/22, but never received my waitlist number. Then, on 1/29 I got an email notifying me of acceptance. So the waitlist is moving but I'm not exactly sure how fast. I am still deciding on whether or not I am going to accept the position.
If you don’t mind me asking what number were you on the waitlist