Northwestern Feinberg Environment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ljhall2

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to medical school for 2018. I am looking at schools with integrative medicine programs. I am particularly interested in Northwestern University, Chicago and University of Arizona, Tucson. I would much prefer a collaborative environment over a cutthroat one, but Northwestern appeals to me due to its location. Does anyone have any advice on these two schools-- particularly how cutthroat Northwestern is.
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I can't comment on Northwestern, but if you like Chicago and a supportive/collaborative environment, consider Rush and Loyola.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think the reputation for being cutthroat applies mostly to their undergraduate programs (mostly due to an unreasonably competitive curving system, from what I've heard). When I visited Feinberg this cycle, I got the impression that students were fairly collaborate and supportive of each other - all seemed relatively happy and there were lots of social events going on among students at interview day

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I've only interviewed at Northwestern so my perspective is pretty limited, but I thought it seemed more competitive than any other school I've interviwed at. The student I was staying with made numerous negative comments about other students and talked about hyper competitive gunners who tried to make sure they beat everyone out. He said it was like that everywhere, but I haven't heard that anywhere else. Idk if it's true and that other schools just won't say it or what. I loved the faculty/staff and location so I wish I hadn't gotten a bad vibe from the students. But again, this was a limited interaction. I'd encourage you to apply and see for yourself.

Reactions: 3 users
I toured Northwestern with my pre-med club when I was an undergrad. PM me if you want my impressions of the school.

Northwestern is extremely cutthroat, even with the more human grading scale. if your app is good enough for feinberg consider Sinai which is nice location similar "tier" and is one of the most laid back academic environments ive seen.

Reactions: 1 users
I think he probably meant, "only interviewed" as in, "was not an enrolled student."

Yes, this is what I meant! Sorry for the weird wording!

Northwestern is extremely cutthroat, even with the more human grading scale. if your app is good enough for feinberg consider Sinai which is nice location similar "tier" and is one of the most laid back academic environments ive seen.

Agreed! I interviewed at Mount Sinai as well and the students seemed much more laid back and had nothing but great things to say about their classmates and school as a whole. Definitely worth a look.

Are you a NW student?

I'm very likely matriculating at Feinberg and didn't get the sense during the interview day that it was more cutthroat than anywhere else (also interviewed at Sinai and Rochester, which I think have a reputation for being super collaborative, for context). I'm confused about what there even is to be competitive about if it's an unranked pass/fail system?

This thread has me a little worried though... can any current students chime in?

Agreed! I interviewed at Mount Sinai as well and the students seemed much more laid back and had nothing but great things to say about their classmates and school as a whole. Definitely worth a look.
Yea, P/F grading, no class rank, three days off per week, afternoons off on Fridays, online quizzes and tests that can be taken at your discretion and scheduling, being right next to Central Park, and absurdly affordable prime real estate housing will do that to ya ;)

Are you a NW student?
No, but I have a number of family and friends who do work at/go to Feinberg. Unanimous input that it's tough and a very competitive environment during my own app cycle. Applied/interviewed/passed on it in no small part due to their opinions, was kind of interested in Feinberg-Kellogg MD/MBA otherwise.

This is a question you should really be asking after you've personally interviewed and been accepted at multiple schools.

At that point you would have actually seen the schools for yourself and talked to students there now, so if you had the unique opportunity to choose you'd have your own experiences to go off which carry way more weight than anything any of us on the forum can tell you.

If you want a really collaborative and supportive environment, apply to OUWB

Reactions: 1 users
Looks like I'll be in the minority with this opinion, but speaking with a good M1 friend when I visited + the interview day itself left me convinced it was collaborative. I don't even know what cut-throat would look like in a pass/fail system?

Yea, P/F grading, no class rank, three days off per week, afternoons off on Fridays, online quizzes and tests that can be taken at your discretion and scheduling, being right next to Central Park, and absurdly affordable prime real estate housing will do that to ya ;)

Hi md- 2020! Could you elaborate on the three days off per week you mentioned? I've been accepted to Sinai and I haven't heard anything about that!

uhhhh, get in first. The application cycle is so random that you may get interviews from Duke, Cornell, USC, etc but never get past the secondary at Northwestern.

Hi md- 2020! Could you elaborate on the three days off per week you mentioned? I've been accepted to Sinai and I haven't heard anything about that!
Pretty sure MS-I's get two extra half-days per week and MS-II's get Wednesdays or Tuesdays off every week? Can't remember exactly, but when I went there a couple years back the lax student scheduling was a big selling point. Maybe it's changed? I'd be surprised if it has though.

I've heard people complain that Feinberg was extremely cutthroat in the past, but since moving to true pass/fail, I imagine the environment will get a lot better.

3rd and 4th year, when it really counts, is not P/F. It's H/HP/P/F -- so straight pass is literally bottom 1/4 of class. People at NU work hard AF and the training is geared towards making you a competent intern/resident. Don't go there if you want your hands held and to be told that you're awesome, cuz you sorta have to earn it. Otherwise, people are decently nice, advising is superb (Deans and college mentors), and PBL is aight.

3rd and 4th year, when it really counts, is not P/F. It's H/HP/P/F -- so straight pass is literally bottom 1/4 of class. People at NU work hard AF and the training is geared towards making you a competent intern/resident. Don't go there if you want your hands held and to be told that you're awesome, cuz you sorta have to earn it. Otherwise, people are decently nice, advising is superb (Deans and college mentors), and PBL is aight.

I feel like this applies to many medical schools, not particularly NU.