northwestern vs. johns hopkins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Milhouse Van Houten

Reaction score
i know that hopkins has one of the best reputations in the world, but i also know that i'd be absolutely miserable there. i know i'd be happier than a pig wallowing in crap at northwestern, so i will be there next year. northwestern is in the most beautiful part of chicago, has the most incredible living conditions and has a curriculum that leaves time to pursue outside interests (plus it's plenty prestigious). it's just weird passing up on hopkins...any thoughts? how much happiness should one be willing to forfeit to go to a "better" school?

Members don't see this ad.

its not like Northwestern isn't a great school -- while hopkins will open some doors for you that you will have to open yourself at northwestern, there is no reason why you absolutely shouldn't choose northwestern over jhu. However, take a second look at hopkins to make sure that it really isn't the place for you! good luck!

my tour guide at NUMS actually told us she picked NUMS over hopkins, and several other prestigious places, so it's not that uncommon.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know Hopkins isn't the right school for everyone, but I love it here. Quite honestly, I think you'd have a hard time finding a med student who doesn't like it here.

In any event, I hope that you'll come to the second look weekend at Hopkins in April. This is a huge decision, and you owe it to yourself to make it an informed decision. You'll get a chance to meet lots of potential future classmates, and, perhaps most importantly, you'll have a chance to interact with lots of med students to get the real scoop for what life is like at Hopkins.

Congrats on being admitted to two great schools. Just remember that you would never have gotten into Hopkins if the committee didn't think you'd be a great match. Come see for yourself -- I imagine you'd like it here more than you realize.

Please don't hesitate to e-mail me with any questions: [email protected].

Cheers,

Doepug
MS II, Johns Hopkins

hey ganderhall,
i was having the same thoughts about giving up my hopkins acceptance. northwestern is a good schools too. hopkins just wasn't me.

WOW JOHN HOPKINS

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! YOUR WHOLE FAMILY MUST BE PROUD.... :clap:

•••quote:•••Originally posted by moo:
•my tour guide at NUMS actually told us she picked NUMS over hopkins, and several other prestigious places, so it's not that uncommon.•••••that's what they all say to make themselves sound smarter....my tour guide at GWU told me he had a hard decision between Columbia and GWU, but he ultimately chose GWU because he knew he would be happier there hehe lol

watcha,
are you talking to me?