Nose piercing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teebear

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sooo I thought my interview season was over, and to celebrate I pierced my nose with a small stud. I received an II today & scheduled for the end of March (basically the last interview day possible). Do I NEED to take this piercing out?? I've only had it for a week so I'll have to get it removed professionally, plus not so sure whether the swollen-nose-and-hole look will impress my interviewers any more than my nose stud...

I went through my whole application cycle (4 acceptances, 2 WLs, and no post-interview rejections) with a mid-cartilage hoop earring (totally forgot about it til after everything haha) and an uncovered wrist tattoo, but I realize a face piercing is way more distracting.

Any advice is appreciated! I can PM the specific school if that helps...

Thanks fellow SDNers! Good luck with everything... and for those still waiting on II's THERE IS STILL HOPE! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Sooo I thought my interview season was over, and to celebrate I pierced my nose with a small stud. I received an II today & scheduled for the end of March (basically the last interview day possible). Do I NEED to take this piercing out?? I've only had it for a week so I'll have to get it removed professionally, plus not so sure whether the swollen-nose-and-hole look will impress my interviewers any more than my nose stud...

I went through my whole application cycle (4 acceptances, 2 WLs, and no post-interview rejections) with a mid-cartilage hoop earring (totally forgot about it til after everything haha) and an uncovered wrist tattoo, but I realize a face piercing is way more distracting.

Thanks fellow SDNers! Good luck with everything... and for those still waiting on II's THERE IS STILL HOPE! :)
lol when was the last time you saw a physician with a nose piercing?

that should about answer it for you.

Reactions: 1 users
I went to all my interviews with my small silver nose stud, and an ankle tattoo (I wore pants to attempt to hide it but it was slightly visible when I sat down) and things have gone well for me so far. I think once its not obnoxious you'll be fine honestly. But everyone has different opinions on that.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you need to take it out? No.

Is there a chance that it will help you? No.

Is there a chance that it will hurt you? Yes.

This should be a no-brainer.

Reactions: 2 users
Also something I've considered: should I explain the piercing? Basically that I thought I was done but given such a great opportunity I absolutely wanted to interview (coming from OOS and everything), however removing the new piercing could have caused me problems (for example infection)? Once it's fully healed I can easily remove it for clinical experiences or preceptorships etc...

Also something I've considered: should I explain the piercing? Basically that I thought I was done but given such a great opportunity I absolutely wanted to interview (coming from OOS and everything), however removing the new piercing could have caused me problems (for example infection)?
are you serious? you thought you were done? done with what? because you're about to start MEDICAL SCHOOL.
god is this even a question.

Reactions: 6 users
are you serious? you thought you were done? done with what? because you're about to start MEDICAL SCHOOL.
god is this even a question.

I'm just concerned with the healing process, it can be removed easily in a few months but given such a short time frame I was wondering if any other applicants have successfully pulled this off. Thanks for your input, though!

Do you need to take it out? No.

Is there a chance that it will help you? No.

Is there a chance that it will hurt you? Yes.

This should be a no-brainer.

Agreed. Take it out.

I think ear piercings are fine for a woman as long as you don't have them in excess. I would probably not have gotten the facial piercing in the first place. Facial piercings can come across as unprofessional. I know you have another acceptance (congrats on all of those :thumbup: ) but I would probably take it out if you care about this school.

You have 4 acceptances. Unless it were my absolute dream school, I'd leave it in and not worry about it.

You have 4 acceptances. How serious are you about this school?

You have 4 acceptances. How serious are you about this school?

It's OOS and a close friend is a current M1 who loves it there. I have a comparable OOS acceptance that I'm ~85% sure I'll choose on May 15. The biggest difference (cost, curriculum, research, match lists considered) is location. I declined another recent OOS II because of my current acceptances but this school is an opportunity I don't want to regret..

Members don't see this ad :)
lol when was the last time you saw a physician with a nose piercing?

that should about answer it for you.

Funny you should say that. One of the doctors I worked with had a nose ring ( not a stud). She's an attending. So yeah.... They're out there.

and before you ask...she was a cauasian woman.

Last edited:
I went to all my interviews with my small silver nose stud, and an ankle tattoo (I wore pants to attempt to hide it but it was slightly visible when I sat down) and things have gone well for me so far. I think once its not obnoxious you'll be fine honestly. But everyone has different opinions on that.

I don't want this to sound bad, but are you URM? From my anecdotal experience, only my URM friends have been able to get away with this. I know it sounds weird. I cannot explain the phenomenon.

There is a religious significance for Hindu women and nose piercings.

Reactions: 9 users
I don't want this to sound bad, but are you URM? From my anecdotal experience, only my URM friends have been able to get away with this. I know it sounds weird. I cannot explain the phenomenon.
I am a black international student. My piercing has no religious or cultural reasons behind it.
1) what do you mean by get away with it? I highly doubt if an interviewer had a problem with their stud they would have told them something about it in the interview. They would have probably just made a note of it in their report or allowed it to color their evaluation.
2) do you know any ORMs who went to an interview with a nose stud to compare these URM anecdotes to? It seems like a pretty presumptuous statement to make that only URMs get away with it, if you have nothing to compare them to. If you are comparing them to ORM, I would ask how do you know the problem was with the nose stud? I'm not trying to argue with you if it comes across like that, but OMG there have been so many URM threads lately that its just a little frustrating to see it come up again and again.

I definitely get why people would warn against wearing the stud to an interview. There's always the chance that someone will judge you based on it. It's the reason I haven't dyed my hair red like I wanted to in January knowing I'd be starting med school in the Fall. But I honestly don't feel like nose studs are that much of an issue nowadays. And definitely not something that will make or break an interview. Just today I was watching a docu-series and a male er resident had in an earring (he was white BTW).

I don't think a nose piercing would make any difference in the vast majority of interviews, but there's still the chance that you will be judged for it. If taking it out would cause it to close up, I'd just leave it in. Don't bother explaining it, waste of time and interviewer won't really care.

I am a black international student. My piercing has no religious or cultural reasons behind it.
1) what do you mean by get away with it? I highly doubt if an interviewer had a problem with their stud they would have told them something about it in the interview. They would have probably just made a note of it in their report or allowed it to color their evaluation.
2) do you know any ORMs who went to an interview with a nose stud to compare these URM anecdotes to? It seems like a pretty presumptuous statement to make that only URMs get away with it, if you have nothing to compare them to. If you are comparing them to ORM, I would ask how do you know the problem was with the nose stud? I'm not trying to argue with you if it comes across like that, but OMG there have been so many URM threads lately that its just a little frustrating to see it come up again and again.

I definitely get why people would warn against wearing the stud to an interview. There's always the chance that someone will judge you based on it. It's the reason I haven't dyed my hair red like I wanted to in January knowing I'd be starting med school in the Fall. But I honestly don't feel like nose studs are that much of an issue nowadays. And definitely not something that will make or break an interview. Just today I was watching a docu-series and a male er resident had in an earring (he was white BTW).

I think it's because piercings have a religious meaning in some cultures (e.g., Indian). So the piercings are not called into question as much, if you are non-white or URM. On the other hand, if you are a white kid from Nebraska, everyone knows your piercing has no cultural significance, you are just a rebellious former teenager.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you for the input everyone! I really appreciate all the different POVs and will take everything into consideration. I have a few weeks to decide so I'll definitely change my mind 137492953x before my interview haha

Actually, this does make a difference. If it is a cultural thing, it can be okay.

I'm Filipino Chinese, not URM but Filipino American is considered a minority in health care I believe. However, my reasons for getting my piercing are not religious or cultural..

Thank you for the input everyone! I really appreciate all the different POVs and will take everything into consideration. I have a few weeks to decide so I'll definitely change my mind 137492953x before my interview haha

if you have any questions about piercings you can PM me. I have two myself.

I'm Filipino Chinese, not URM but Filipino American is considered a minority in health care I believe. However, my reasons for getting my piercing are not religious or cultural..
I would keep it in. Messing with it could cause a scar and getting it re-pierced would be harder and expensive (I'm guessing you just dropped a good amount to get it done, no point in doubling that cost). Shoot you have 4 acceptances. If they don't want to accept you over a little nose stud, it's not worth it. I've seen so many girls on the interview trail with nose piercings. Don't sweat it.

With so many acceptances in hand, I wouldn't worry so much about appearances unless this is your dream school and you'd prefer to go here. I don't even know why you're attending this interview. I'd withdraw and give the opportunity to someone who needs it. After all, you only need 1 yes.

Medical school versus Nose Ring..... why am I even reading this post lol

There are a couple of my classmates that have nose studs, but they seem to take them out for clinic or when they're otherwise playing the healthcare provider role. I know that isn't the same thing, but perhaps it might provide some insight into what's "professional." Personally I like nose studs and don't find them inherently unprofessional, but I'm not sure how the people interviewing you - likely older, more established physicians - will think about them.

This would be OK:

nose-stud.png

This is NOT OK. The young lady looks like she has a booger to wipe off, or fell asleep face forward in a box full of fishing tackle.

Septum_piercing_done_in_Copenhagen.jpg

Reactions: 9 users
Resident that performed my physical had one. I don't see the big deal. Times are a changing.

I lost three nose rings on the interview trail because I kept taking them out last minute. I wear a ring, not a stud though, and I think the ring is a bigger deal. I have worn the ring though in many job interviews (including clinical positions) and it has never been a problem. I think you are in a secure enough position that it is worth leaving it in.

Good luck!

I lost three nose rings on the interview trail because I kept taking them out last minute. I wear a ring, not a stud though, and I think the ring is a bigger deal. I have worn the ring though in many job interviews (including clinical positions) and it has never been a problem. I think you are in a secure enough position that it is worth leaving it in.

Good luck!

Thank you! :)

I'd withdraw and give the opportunity to someone who needs it. After all, you only need 1 yes.
Warning: Totally OT
This is a pretty silly statement, but it did make me think about how different the med school admissions game would be if you had to withdraw all your other apps after getting just one acceptance.

This would be OK:

nose-stud.png

This is NOT OK. The young lady looks like she has a booger to wipe off, or fell asleep face forward in a box full of fishing tackle.

Hahaha agreed.

Leave it in. It's something you care about and want to be a part of you. That's not to say it won't rub some people the wrong way - it probably will, whether it's on this interview or at another time - but draw on the confidence you've had in finding so much success already and you will be fine. Though I agree that if it's really obnoxious (though that's a subjective term), you probably don't want it at all.

This is a pretty silly statement, but it did make me think about how different the med school admissions game would be if you had to withdraw all your other apps after getting just one acceptance.

Don't worry, you will have this experience when you apply to residency or if you apply to Texas schools.

Don't worry, you will have this experience when you apply to residency or if you apply to Texas schools.
Is that how the match actually works? So if your top choice wants you, but they hesitate and someone else calls dibs then you get matched with a lower choice?
I've actually always wondered about how matching works, but not enough to actually look into it.

I'd like to keep my options open, I declined an OOS II last month because I already knew I wouldn't choose it over my other OOS acceptance.. But if there is even a chance I may go to a school over another acceptance I'm definitely taking the interview opportunity!

I'd like to keep my options open, I declined an OOS II last month because I already knew I wouldn't choose it over my other OOS acceptance.. But if there is even a chance I may go to a school over another acceptance I'm definitely taking the interview opportunity!
Don't blame you - I'd do the exact same thing. You don't withdraw an app until you know you don't want to go there, regardless of how many acceptances you have. (I'd still leave the piercing in though)

This would be OK:

nose-stud.png

what if it says "i <3 med school" on it somewhere very small?

OP it's only a nose stud and you already have four acceptances, I'd just leave it in.

Is that how the match actually works? So if your top choice wants you, but they hesitate and someone else calls dibs then you get matched with a lower choice?
I've actually always wondered about how matching works, but not enough to actually look into it.

No.

No, but you only get "accepted" to one residency program, and you essentially have no choice in where you go once you find out what that program is. You get to pick your preferences by ranking the programs you interviewed at in order of where you'd like to most attend, and the programs do the same for everyone they interview. You end up at the program that you ranked highest but that also ranked you high enough.

It's not a very complicated system, but for some reason people (even medical students) don't seem to "get it." But the long-short of it is that once you submit your rank list (your ranking of the programs you interviewed at), the process is pretty much out of your hands. You'll end up where you end up.

In case any future applicants wander onto this thread - I ended up keeping a small stud in for my interviews and got accepted with a very quick turn around time! :) I think it really depends on your interviewer but in this situation it was not harmful.

I got a nose ring during MS2 (long story). It's a stud and noticeable, but not obscenely large.

I've worn it during clinicals and residency interviews with no problems. It's not a big deal anymore.

I got a nose ring during MS2 (long story). It's a stud and noticeable, but not obscenely large.

I've worn it during clinicals and residency interviews with no problems. It's not a big deal anymore.

So many women at my school have nose piercings (either a small stud or a small ring) and I haven't heard anything about anyone having trouble during clinicals either. I feel like we are in a more conservative area of the country too. So yeah, it's not a big deal anymore, as long as it is small.

the same reason you don't see doctors with nose rings and gauged ears is the same reason you don't see a doctor with a neck tattoo. it is unprofessional and in poor taste. I mean the majority of your patients will be elderly! Do you think a 70 year old woman who grew up when being a different skin color was frowned upon would be accepting of your nose ring? Absolutely Not! To be honest most people would question your maturity. I think body art is fine, but the day I have a doctor with a nose ring or a neck tattoo, I am transferring hospitals...

Currently I have gauges in both ears, a tongue piercing, naval, left brow, right tragus, and left industrial.

I plan on taking them out as I near the end of my four year. I used to have the bridge of my nose pierced as well as a surface piercing on the nape of my neck.

I have one tattoo.

That being said- most run-of-the-mill jobs dislike piercings. An MD/PA/DO/etc program will have interviewers who see having non-traditional piercings as a stigmatization/sign of, if nothing else, negligence.

While medical schools want people from various walks of life, there are norms when it comes to decorum. Unless it's for religious reasons- I can't see it as a bonus in any way. As it's been stated before, it may not hurt your chances, but it probably won't help.