Nostalgic Post

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Man it has been such a long time. Finishing up my second year of residency. SDN has helped me so much and I couldn't thank you guys enough. I remember applying in the same cycle in 2013-2014 with @Ibn Alnafis MD and got so excited with my first acceptance.
Did you end up in the field and location you wanted?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really didn't expect this thread to blow up like this, but I love it. Keep it up.!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
What happened to posters like touchpause, circulusvitios (2013-2014 underdogs)?
Yeah, it's amazing how people just disappear. Like they're regular contributors. Then I wander away form SDN due to a busy month on service or something and then one day you just notice they're gone. You look through their most recent posts and there's nothing obvious. They just stopped.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 5 users
What happened to posters like touchpause, circulusvitios (2013-2014 underdogs)?
She hasn't been active for a while. IIRC, she dropped out of med school and was doing a healthcare related career (maybe psychD but can't remember for sure).

Long before her, few very prominent posters existed that all of the sudden disappeared. Rollo and ChocolateBear come to mind. The curious thing though is that when one disappears, a significant time passes before other SDNers sense his/her absence.

I hope I continue to be part of this community. On the other hand, part of me wants to "move on".

Reactions: 7 users
She hasn't been active for a while. IIRC, she dropped out of med school and was doing a healthcare related career (maybe psychD but can't remember for sure).

Long before her, few very prominent posters existed that all of the sudden disappeared. Rollo and ChocolateBear come to mind. The curious thing though is that when one disappears, a significant time passes before other SDNers sense his/her absence.

I hope I continue to be part of this community. On the other hand, part of me wants to "move on".
Wow... I did not know. Her and another poster (can't remember his screen name) were in the same class at DMU... I remember the other poster struggled in OMS1, and they both suddenly disappeared w/o 'notice'. Hope both are doing OK.

The SDN community needs people like you. It will be a great loss if you "move on".

Reactions: 4 users
Wow... I did not know. Her and another poster (can't remember his screen name) were in the same class at DMU... I remember the other poster struggled in OMS1, and they both suddenly disappeared w/o 'notice'. Hope both are doing OK.

The SDN community needs people like you. It will be a great loss if you "move on".
I was also in her class and also struggled with 1st year, but I'm not sure who you're referring to. I can only think of 1 other sdner that I knew of in that class, @buttfrogs . Yeah she got her masters in psychology and works as a therapist.

I remember Circulus vitios, I thought he pulled the plug fairly early in M1 and went back to like an engineering career or something.

Edit: I did think of another couple of people in my class but I know their usernames include part of their real names so I won't tag them

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I was also in her class and also struggled with 1st year, but I'm not sure who you're referring to. I can only think of 1 other sdner that I knew of in that class, @buttfrogs . Yeah she got her masters in psychology and works as a therapist.

I remember Circulus vitios, I thought he pulled the plug fairly early in M1 and went back to like an engineering career or something.
Do you know why she (touchpause) quit?

I frequently like to wax nostalgic over the early sdn days. There's something cool about all the history here, even if I haven't been around as long as some of the veterans.

I remember making my account in 2012, 1 year before I sat for the MCAT and started pouring over the premed forums. I remember the MedPR days, and the Dermviser days. Then the Cole Smalls acceptance rescindance, which was a huge deal at the time.

I started med school and discovered the lounge around 2014 which is what has kept me around ever since. With all the physical moves in med school and then residency, friendships seem so temporary. Outside of some old friends from high school I daresay my sdn lounge friends are some of the more longstanding friendships I have. I don't post much on fb so the sdn lounge has been my defacto social media for a long time now.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
I frequently like to wax nostalgic over the early sdn days. There's something cool about all the history here, even if I haven't been around as long as some of the veterans.

I remember making my account in 2012, 1 year before I sat for the MCAT and started pouring over the premed forums. I remember the MedPR days, and the Dermviser days. Then the Cole Smalls acceptance rescindance, which was a huge deal at the time.

I started med school and discovered the lounge around 2014 which is what has kept me around ever since. With all the physical moves in med school and then residency, friendships seem so temporary. Outside of some old friends from high school I daresay my sdn lounge friends are some of the more longstanding friendships I have. I don't post much on fb so the sdn lounge has been my defacto social media for a long time now.

MedPR, what a strange person that was.

And ColeSmalls? “Remember remember the rescindment of November”

Those were wild times.

I remember going back and forth with SpectreGT or some name like that. He is the one that turned MedPR anti-DO, which was a special sort of funny hypocrisy to watch since MedPR was a DO underdog and pretty gung-ho DO until he got that MD acceptance (SLU I think). Then he quickly turned into a bit of a troll who racked up like a million posts in pre-allo, and came to pre-DO to remind everyone there how much better he suddenly was than them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Wow, must have missed some major drama!

It was epic! I was an M2 by then, but was glued to Pre-DO for the whole holiday season in 2012.

Basically a guy who was a very active participant in pre-DO. He wanted to go to ACOM, and made it very clear on SDN how amped he was about that school. He got accepted there, and became like the de-facto ACOM cheerleader/SDN ACOM inaugural class mascot. Then he apparently went on some racist tirade on FB and it got back to the school and they pulled his acceptance. He then came to SDN, made his situation VERY public, and we got the story delivered in real-time.

It was surreal!

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It was epic! I was an M2 by then, but was glued to Pre-DO for the whole holiday season in 2012.

Basically a guy who was a very active participant in pre-DO. He wanted to go to ACOM, and made it very clear on SDN how amped he was about that school. He got accepted there, and became like the de-facto ACOM cheerleader/SDN ACOM inaugural class mascot. Then he apparently went on some racist tirade on FB and it got back to the school and they pulled his acceptance. He then came to SDN, made his situation VERY public, and we got the story delivered in real-time.

It was surreal!

Wow, crazy! Just goes to show though, many a pre-med/med student/resident/doctor's lives were derailed and possibly ruined due to behavior, especially on social media but even in real life. If you're going to be a doctor, you have to be careful how you behave on and offline.

Reactions: 1 users
One prolific I remembered was QofQuimica, last seen a year ago. He was quite active in the premed section.

Have not been active for too long. but SDN and reddit def got me into med school. I struggle a lot with my classes and have been below average practically the entirety of my pre clinical years, but one thing I did like is how resources such as SDN have made me knowledgeable on the murkier side of med student life, such as boards prep and applying to residency.

Not anymore. Now everyone avoids you like if you are the plague. The minute they know you're a doctor, they start spraying you with disinfectant

It's especially fun when I go shopping in my "home" scrubs right after work. Feel a bit like Mosa parting the aisles.

Ah, I thought I recalled something like that happening. Glad she's doing something she likes. And I know exactly what you mean sometimes with that last part.

...I started med school and discovered the lounge around 2014 which is what has kept me around ever since. With all the physical moves in med school and then residency, friendships seem so temporary. Outside of some old friends from high school I daresay my sdn lounge friends are some of the more longstanding friendships I have. I don't post much on fb so the sdn lounge has been my defacto social media for a long time now.

What happened to the lounge, is it still around? I tended to venture there once every 6 mos or so.

It was surreal!

Crazy watching all of that unfold. The comments were... not great, and he became a cautionary tail for applicants. I just remember him trying to convince everyone that it's ridiculous for them to rescind his acceptance when the Dean got a DUI during the first year's recruitment and stayed on as Dean.

He finally realized how much of a mistake using his name on FB and in his SDN username as well as making the whole thing very public. I'm not sure what happened to him, but he reapplied and at least got some DO interviews the next year.

MedPR, what a strange person that was.

And ColeSmalls? “Remember remember the rescindment of November”

Those were wild times.

I remember going back and forth with SpectreGT or some name like that. He is the one that turned MedPR anti-DO, which was a special sort of funny hypocrisy to watch since MedPR was a DO underdog and pretty gung-ho DO until he got that MD acceptance (SLU I think). Then he quickly turned into a bit of a troll who racked up like a million posts in pre-allo, and came to pre-DO to remind everyone there how much better he suddenly was than them.
Wow, must have missed some major drama!
Oh man, what a time to be alive. That all happened right after I got my first acceptance and while I was waiting to start med school . When the ColeSmalls got his acceptance rescinded, it all happened over the week of Thanksgiving. I remember hanging out with relatives, enjoying a few days off, then seeing the most watching the biggest drama in pre-osteo history unfold almost in real time. I'm glad some of you are still around who also remember that.

I remember some of you were in the same application year as me. There were a bunch of us that were applying that year. Only a few of us left that I remember from back then.

It's especially fun when I go shopping in my "home" scrubs right after work. Feel a bit like Mosa parting the aisles.

Ah, I thought I recalled something like that happening. Glad she's doing something she likes. And I know exactly what you mean sometimes with that last part.

What happened to the lounge, is it still around? I tended to venture there once every 6 mos or so.

Crazy watching all of that unfold. The comments were... not great, and he became a cautionary tail for applicants. I just remember him trying to convince everyone that it's ridiculous for them to rescind his acceptance when the Dean got a DUI during the first year's recruitment and stayed on as Dean.

He finally realized how much of a mistake using his name on FB and in his SDN username as well as making the whole thing very public. I'm not sure what happened to him, but he reapplied and at least got some DO interviews the next year.
You know, I was thinking about that the other day, the ACOM dean who got a DUI. I looked him up and he's still listed on the website as "Dean Emeritus."

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know what happened with ColeSmalls?

Does anyone know what happened with ColeSmalls?
Hallowmann noted above that he re-applied and got a few interviews. If he did, he better have been far, far away from SDN and social media, for his sake.

I wonder what happened to MedPR. I was always amazed at how he racked up suck a huuuge post count so fast. I've often wondered if he ever came back under a different username.

• Wow
Hallowmann noted above that he re-applied and got a few interviews. If he did, he better have been far, far away from SDN and social media, for his sake.

I wonder what happened to MedPR. I was always amazed at how he racked up suck a huuuge post count so fast. I've often wondered if he ever came back under a different username.

He must have. Someone with such level of activity can’t just quit cold turkey without suffering some serious withdrawals.

Yeah, it's amazing how people just disappear. Like they're regular contributors. Then I wander away form SDN due to a busy month on service or something and then one day you just notice they're gone. You look through their most recent posts and there's nothing obvious. They just stopped.

It's the saddest part of the forum experience. However its always nice to at least have the history of the posters who have now gone.

Anyone remember a poster named JaggerPlate? He was around all the time when I first came to SDN. He always had good advice. Very pro-DO. (In a 'this is a much better option to become a physician than caribbean way', not a 'wooo-yah-cranial ftw' way.)
I think he went in to IM. He had 8k+ posts but last posted in in 2015

Anyone remember a poster named JaggerPlate? He was around all the time when I first came to SDN. He always had good advice. Very pro-DO. (In a 'this is a much better option to become a physician than caribbean way', not a 'wooo-yah-cranial ftw' way.)

My impression was that JaggerPlate was a plant by the AOA.

Nice enough guy, he was very vocal against the idea of the underdog thread though, that’s what I remember Most about him.

Oh man, what a time to be alive. That all happened right after I got my first acceptance and while I was waiting to start med school . When the ColeSmalls got his acceptance rescinded, it all happened over the week of Thanksgiving. I remember hanging out with relatives, enjoying a few days off, then seeing the most watching the biggest drama in pre-osteo history unfold almost in real time. I'm glad some of you are still around who also remember that.

I remember some of you were in the same application year as me. There were a bunch of us that were applying that year. Only a few of us left that I remember from back then.

At that time I received an urgent, if not actually frantic, PM from Cole, asking if the rescindment email from ACOM was real.

At first glance, I had my doubts about it because it was so drastic, and I had never heard of such an event.

But alas, it was very real.

Nice enough guy, he was very vocal against the idea of the underdog thread though, that’s what I remember Most about him.

I don't get that at all. Plenty of underdogs do great in med school. Everyone starts and comes from a different place with different hurdles. Was he just scared it'll look like DOs accept a lot of low GPA or MCAT applicants... because honestly that horse was out of the barn decades ago.

I don't get that at all. Plenty of underdogs do great in med school. Everyone starts and comes from a different place with different hurdles. Was he just scared it'll look like DOs accept a lot of low GPA or MCAT applicants... because honestly that horse was out of the barn decades ago.
Effin A they do. I had a friend from undergrad that was in my med school class as well. I thought I was some pretty hot stuff because I got like 4 points better than him on the MCAT and had a better GPA. He was definitely an underdog. Fast forward 4 years, he matched EM at UIC at I soaped into FM.

Lol, never thought of that. As I remember the entire tone around here about DO schools was way more optimistic. Maybe it was because of him.
That's a shame. The original underdog thread was one of the most epic developments in SDN history. Very inspirational. Gave me so much hope that my screw ups wouldn't condemn me. Not sure how anyone could be against that.

At that time I received an urgent, if not actually frantic, PM from Cole, asking if the rescindment email from ACOM was real.

At first glance, I had my doubts about it because it was so drastic, and I had never heard of such an event.

But alas, it was very real.
Yeah IIRC the way it happened was kind of sketchy. Like they sent it from an IP address in California or something, at like 4:55pm the day before a 5 day weekend.

Not that he didn't deserve it, but still.

• Wow
If it wasn't for SDN and a few moderators and members like @MedPR (miss you homie... hope all is well), @Ibn Alnafis MD , @Goro , @SLC and a few others who I am blanking on rn... I wouldn't have been in medicine. Period.

I graduated with a degree in biosci with no intention of going to med school with a GPA of 2.9ish back 6-7 years ago. I was sitting at home one day and just had enough of the crap that was going on in my life.

I read up on and found about "DIY postbaccs" and got a 4.0 retaking and adding in classes for a total of 45+ units, found out about DO programs and grade replacement, got DO letter of recs, and followed the SN2ed MCAT thread and schedule to get a solid score to push me into medical school.

Fast forward 4 years later... I am now 7 weeks from starting residency in IM at a beautiful program a couple hours away from home and am thankful each and every single f*cking day for the opportunity to do so.

Do I have regrets? Of course.

I wish I would have explored more fields/specialities in med school (neuro was always my second love... but I couldn't garner the proper recs and auditions in time before applications... and the possibility of matching away from home due to my family situation with a single parent would be too much emotional stress for me to bear... not to mention rushing an application and not matching at all.)

Seriously.

This website is legit.

Shoutout to all of the dreamers out there and the ones reading this who may need a bit of motivation.

If I can do this, you can do this too. Just put your head down... stop chasing distractions and get on top of your stuff.

Y'all got this. <3

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
This thread hit me hard. I have a lot of nostalgia from those days.

I had the pleasure of getting a coffee with hockeydr09, or whatever his handle was, as we lived in the same area. He was an MS0 at the time, recently accepted, and I was working on my postbac. He was the first underdog and started the thread named as such. I was part of the underdog thread in the 2013-2014 cycle, and switched to a new account and name around that time in early 2014.

Student Dr was where is learned nearly everything. I was the first in my family to go to college, of any kind. I found my path through hard work and scouring the forums, reading up on everthing @cabinbuilder, @QofQuimica and @Goro wrote. Many others who I can't remember their names.

I went to ACOM , and followed the colesmalls scandal as well as the other subsequent scandals of ACOM (still call it a good school and glad I went). ACOM, SDN and hard work got me into the specialty and program I wanted.

So many posters from my "era" have just stopped posting. I fell off the grid in intern year for lack of time and exhaustion.

In July, this is halfway over.

I'm not disillusioned with the outcome - I truly love every day of what I do. But I miss that hustle, of being an underdog and not knowing if I could handle biochem and orgo. Worrying about my postbac and grades, applying and working nights and weekends just to pay for the applications and a hope to get that acceptance. The chip on the shoulder as a non trad just trying to live out my dream and grab what I knew I could do, but had no way of knowing how. I've hardly "made it" - two years to go still, but I signed a contract and only time is holding me back.

I think I'm now lonely in the SDN world - my specialty forum is dead, hardly any posts. I could use to go over to the lounge more. I have received so much from these forums, was lurking and listening if not contributing to each post in the premed DO since 2012 and DO threads since 2014.

So much nostalgia

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
thanks for starting this thread, @Rogue42 !

I started pre-med without a single clue of what it was actually going to take to get into medical school. SDN taught me how to process the signal from the noise. I used to work in construction during the day and bartend a few nights after work to pay for my post-bacc and applications. During the post-bacc I continued to work a few nights a week. Being more than a few years out of undergrad and considering the broad range of people you find at bars and construction sites, I didn't have many friends who could relate to the premed grind. So I continue to be very thankful to SDN for the camaraderie, support and guidance.

As someone who started with sub-3.0 gpas, a less than 50%ile MCAT and multiple "app-killer" red flags, I'm truly privileged to be an M1. I could never have done it without tremendous help from my family, including my SDN fam.

Special shoutout to @Goro, a fellow New Yawker, @gyngyn, @Instatewaiter, @DrMidlife, @DrStephenStrange, @Deathbenotproud, @Angus Avagadro, @AlteredScale , @fldoctorgirl , and many more. several of you I've never even spoken to but going back and reading your posts helped me immeasurably. Thank you all.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

I had the pleasure of getting a coffee with hockeydr09, or whatever his handle was, as we lived in the same area. He was an MS0 at the time, recently accepted, and I was working on my postbac. He was the first underdog and started the thread named as such. I was part of the underdog thread in the 2013-2014 cycle, and switched to a new account and name around that time in early 2014.

Student Dr was where is learned nearly everything. I was the first in my family to go to college, of any kind. I found my path through hard work and scouring the forums, reading up on everthing @cabinbuilder, @QofQuimica and @Goro wrote. Many others who I can't remember their names.

I went to ACOM , and followed the colesmalls scandal as well as the other subsequent scandals of ACOM (still call it a good school and glad I went). ACOM, SDN and hard work got me into the specialty and program I wanted.

So many posters from my "era" have just stopped posting. I fell off the grid in intern year for lack of time and exhaustion.

I'm not disillusioned with the outcome - I truly love every day of what I do. But I miss that hustle, of being an underdog and not knowing if I could handle biochem and orgo. Worrying about my postbac and grades, applying and working nights and weekends just to pay for the applications and a hope to get that acceptance. The chip on the shoulder as a non trad just trying to live out my dream and grab what I knew I could do, but had no way of knowing how. I've hardly "made it" - two years to go still, but I signed a contract and only time is holding me back.

I think I'm now lonely in the SDN world - my specialty forum is dead, hardly any posts. I could use to go over to the lounge more. I have received so much from these forums, was lurking and listening if not contributing to each post in the premed DO since 2012 and DO threads since 2014.

So much nostalgia

I guess I can safely say you’re not in anesthesiology

So much nostalgia
Thanks for the mention. I'm not on here much anymore due to work and life changes. Always like to give hope and "you can do it too" message to those out there.

Great thread...
2012 I must have just finished undergrad and stared down the barrel of failure, science GPA was (2.6?), my premed advisor told me to give up, and I was applying to dentistry. after 1 year of a postbacc the dental school I was hoping to get into told me there was no chance as I cratered 1 course. I met with an ADCOM at a DO school and she took pity on me, and for some reason believed in me. She told me that if I took my MCAT by a certain date and got above a certain score, she would strongly consider my application. I scored above her cutoff, got the only interview I have ever received after applying to dozens of schools, and was accepted.

And the rest, as they say, is history

Great thread...
2012 I must have just finished undergrad and stared down the barrel of failure, science GPA was (2.6?), my premed advisor told me to give up, and I was applying to dentistry. after 1 year of a postbacc the dental school I was hoping to get into told me there was no chance as I cratered 1 course. I met with an ADCOM at a DO school and she took pity on me, and for some reason believed in me. She told me that if I took my MCAT by a certain date and got above a certain score, she would strongly consider my application. I scored above her cutoff, got the only interview I have ever received after applying to dozens of schools, and was accepted.

And the rest, as they say, is history
What. A. Story.

I have always said that all I ever need in life is just one person to believe in me.

These forums are great. In part, that greatness is from the experience that long time users are able to give.

It has gotten harder for me to post as the years have gone by. Life gets busy. I'm always impressed by the users that I remember who are still here to give solid advice.

Joined in 1999. Wow. You’re a true veteran.

Welcome back @DrWBD - took me a while to remember that you were "wanna_be_do"

Joined SDN after I took MCAT (didn't know SDN existed) ... wanted to see what others experiences were. Used SDN to help me through the application process, the interview process, and what to expect each year of med school (as well as the boards). SDN was helpful in residency application, as well as life as a resident. For fellowship, not so much

As an attending, with students/residents/fellows, it's weird to think back to where (and when) I got started. Anyway, back to co-signing notes from the residents who didn't finish their notes in a timely manner :nono:

Welcome back @DrWBD - took me a while to remember that you were "wanna_be_do"

Joined SDN after I took MCAT (didn't know SDN existed) ... wanted to see what others experiences were. Used SDN to help me through the application process, the interview process, and what to expect each year of med school (as well as the boards). SDN was helpful in residency application, as well as life as a resident. For fellowship, not so much

As an attending, with students/residents/fellows, it's weird to think back to where (and when) I got started. Anyway, back to co-signing notes from the residents who didn't finish their notes in a timely manner :nono:
I think you need a few more badges on your profile

• Haha
zhukov-1.jpg

• Haha
Time definitely flies. I can't believe I've been here officially here since 2004. But even before that, I was lurking on the precursor boards, gas doctor (or something like....too long ago to remember for sure.)

Again, found myself in a rabbit hole; remembered I started this thread.

Can't believe one day I will log-on and I wont even know it will be my last time. Some ten years later, kids will still be reading my posts and wondering what happened to me.

It will be crazy when people of my era like Goro, AnatomyGrey, Catalystic, Candbgirl, LizzyM, Gyngyn, DO2015CA, and people of the like start slowly disappearing for whatever reason. Makes me sad for those days whenever it happens.

Last edited:
I literally would not be a doctor today if not for SDN. I found this site while trying to Google how to become a physician assistant on a Pentium 3 back in 2004. I didn't realize anyone could become a doctor, it was just something so alien to me with my working class upbringing. I went on to do a few things with my life but would always think, well... What about medical school. I had no advisor, and cobbled together my own study course and postbacc using what I learned from SDN, and here I am today, not far from being a board certified attending. My first paycheck is going to have a lifetime donor to SDN payment made from it. I owe this site far more than my alma mater, it changed my life profoundly

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
Again, found myself in a rabbit hole; remembered I started this thread.

Can't believe one day I will log-on and I wont even know it will be my last time. Some ten years later, kids will still be reading my posts and wondering what happened to me.

It will be crazy when people of my era like Goro, AnatomyGrey, Catalystic, Candbgirl, LizzyM, Gyngyn, DO2015CA, and people of the like start slowly disappearing for whatever reason. Makes me sad for those days whenever it happens.
I'll stick around at least as long as I can still teach, and then maybe after I retire. I do worry about my knowledge getting stale beyond that point

Reactions: 6 users