Not a chance me, but just a request to get your thoughts on my undergraduate profile as a non-trad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slueman33

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is a lot to ask but you seem to know a lot. I just want to get your thoughts about my student profile (comments on any or all) about the following.

I am currently 25 years old. I will receive my bachelor's degree in Chemistry(Biochemistry) with a biology minor after 8 years of undergrad. No gap years. Back to back student for all 8 years. Some semesters had at the minimum 8 credit hrs, but typically, and especially the last 50 hours, 12-16 credit hrs/sem.

My story is the following:
-went into college roughly deciding on healthcare management, youngest of 4, all 3 older siblings are doctors.

-as such, realized I wanted to do science based healthcare (doctorates)

-HORRIBLE science skills since middle school, being placed in remedial science and math from 6th-12th grade, ADHD diagnosis in 6th grade (I don’t want to mention this though)

-decides to do pharmacy as i had poor science skills and it would be easy to get in.

-Took first 3-4 years doing gen eds, working towards first bachelors in healthcare management, then after deciding on pharmacy, began working my way up from highschool lvl math chem and bio - did pretty poorly. had to take pre reqs just to be able to take pre-reqs

-started doing well by age 23 and 5th yr of undergrad. felt i was selling myself short on doing pharmacy, because i was improving alot in my science abilities, plus doing pharmacy just because it was easy seemed like a bad decision. this was confirmed as working as a certified pharm tech for 2 yrs, absolutley horrible. decided to shadow brother in laws' cousin who is a dentist, fell in love. was terrified that i could never accomplish something like this.

then came onto SDN, got some good reinforcement, some horrible reinforcement. @artist2022 really inspired me when i was 23, and ultimately decided to just go for it.

-Past 3-4 years of doing semi well to extremely well(past 50 hrs) in pre reqs + upper lvl sciences

-at current university absolutley killing it in all the really tough upper lvl science courses for Biochem, 3.91 cgpa/sgpa for past 50 hours while doing ~12-16 credit hrs/sem for 50 credit hours mostly labs the whole time. BUT first 90 hrs was a 2.6 cgpa/sgpa in absolutley low level sciences and gen eds. Most of those sciences were not pre-reqs, but were the pre-reqs to even take the pre-reqs in the first place. Safe to say, science skills starting out in college were dismal. improved greatly.

Here was the complex track of institutions I have intended. I have switched so much for no reason other than purely financial. The costs of doing 8 years of undergrad is massive, so I had to optimize as I was switching routes.

I started off at
started at state university 1 (healthcare management bachelors) —>
local comm college 1 (trying to do pharmacy pre reqs) —>
local comm college 2 (still trying to do pre-reqs)—->
biochemistry degree at state university 2

Here are the grades, sans the pre-reqs to the pre-reqs. Im talking highschool level (NOT AP) chem and pre-algebra, it was that bad when i was a freshman. somehow still got a 24 on the act, but i couldnt manage to place into college algebra when i was a freshman. i l literally got a D in math 101 as a freshman, and retook to get a C. its been a wild ride since then.
--------
Community college Pre reqs I took: (bolded are noteworthy acheivements)
Gen Bio 1 - C retook then B
Gen Chem 2 - C
Anatomy 1 - C
Calculus 1 - F retook then B
Calculus 2 - A
Organic Chemistry 1 - C
University level courses:
General Chem 1 - C
General Bio 1 - C
Physics 1 - C
Physics 2- A
Organic Chemistry 2 - A
Inorganic Chemistry - A
Cell Biology - A
Biochemistry 1 - B
Biochemistry 2 (non Pre req) - A
Immunology - A
Molecular Biology - A
Cancer Biology- A
Other upper level university courses:
Analytical Chemistry - A
Physical Chemistry 1 - A
Spectroscopy - A
Chemistry Capstone - A
Will be ending my degree with around 120-140 credits and a 3.0 at best.
Currently scoring 21s-22s on DAT BOOTCAMP, but honestly shooting for something impeccable like a 25+, and I am only taking 7 credit hours this semester so i can dedicate all the time i can allot. I have a few more months of non stop studying to try and achieve this.

EC Experience:
-Phi Sigma Kappa at first university
-founder/president Pre health club at comm college
-founder/president Pre dental club at current university
-prestigious dry lab summer research program at northwestern (a t10 school) studying racial and socieconomic disparities in healthcare
- (hopefully) strong LOR from 2 fairly distinguisehd upper lvl science prof., northwestern feinberg medicine research faculty, GP dentist
-Volunteer Hrs. (TBD)
-Shadowing Hrs. (TBD)
-peer leader for teaching the seminar section of P-Chem 1 (one of the hardest undergrad chem courses)

WORK experience:
  1. graduate assistant as an undergrad for the dean's office at our College of Education
  2. Certified Pharmacy Technician
  3. (Dental Sterilization) hopeful

I know this was ALOT to look through, but I am really just looking for your thoughts here on if you were hypothetically adcomms, what you would think about someone like me. Very non-traditional I know, which is why I need an opinion.

Members don't see this ad.

I know this is a lot to ask but you seem to know a lot. I just want to get your thoughts about my student profile (comments on any or all) about the following.

I am currently 25 years old. I will receive my bachelor's degree in Chemistry(Biochemistry) with a biology minor after 8 years of undergrad. No gap years. Back to back student for all 8 years. Some semesters had at the minimum 8 credit hrs, but typically, and especially the last 50 hours, 12-16 credit hrs/sem.

My story is the following:
-went into college roughly deciding on healthcare management, youngest of 4, all 3 older siblings are doctors.

-as such, realized I wanted to do science based healthcare (doctorates)

-HORRIBLE science skills since middle school, being placed in remedial science and math from 6th-12th grade, ADHD diagnosis in 6th grade (I don’t want to mention this though)

-decides to do pharmacy as i had poor science skills and it would be easy to get in.

-Took first 3-4 years doing gen eds, working towards first bachelors in healthcare management, then after deciding on pharmacy, began working my way up from highschool lvl math chem and bio - did pretty poorly. had to take pre reqs just to be able to take pre-reqs

-started doing well by age 23 and 5th yr of undergrad. felt i was selling myself short on doing pharmacy, because i was improving alot in my science abilities, plus doing pharmacy just because it was easy seemed like a bad decision. this was confirmed as working as a certified pharm tech for 2 yrs, absolutley horrible. decided to shadow brother in laws' cousin who is a dentist, fell in love. was terrified that i could never accomplish something like this.

then came onto SDN, got some good reinforcement, some horrible reinforcement. @artist2022 really inspired me when i was 23, and ultimately decided to just go for it.

-Past 3-4 years of doing semi well to extremely well(past 50 hrs) in pre reqs + upper lvl sciences

-at current university absolutley killing it in all the really tough upper lvl science courses for Biochem, 3.91 cgpa/sgpa for past 50 hours while doing ~12-16 credit hrs/sem for 50 credit hours mostly labs the whole time. BUT first 90 hrs was a 2.6 cgpa/sgpa in absolutley low level sciences and gen eds. Most of those sciences were not pre-reqs, but were the pre-reqs to even take the pre-reqs in the first place. Safe to say, science skills starting out in college were dismal. improved greatly.

Here was the complex track of institutions I have intended. I have switched so much for no reason other than purely financial. The costs of doing 8 years of undergrad is massive, so I had to optimize as I was switching routes.

I started off at
started at state university 1 (healthcare management bachelors) —>
local comm college 1 (trying to do pharmacy pre reqs) —>
local comm college 2 (still trying to do pre-reqs)—->
biochemistry degree at state university 2

Here are the grades, sans the pre-reqs to the pre-reqs. Im talking highschool level (NOT AP) chem and pre-algebra, it was that bad when i was a freshman. somehow still got a 24 on the act, but i couldnt manage to place into college algebra when i was a freshman. i l literally got a D in math 101 as a freshman, and retook to get a C. its been a wild ride since then.
--------
Community college Pre reqs I took: (bolded are noteworthy acheivements)
Gen Bio 1 - C retook then B
Gen Chem 2 - C
Anatomy 1 - C
Calculus 1 - F retook then B
Calculus 2 - A
Organic Chemistry 1 - C
University level courses:
General Chem 1 - C
General Bio 1 - C
Physics 1 - C
Physics 2- A
Organic Chemistry 2 - A
Inorganic Chemistry - A
Cell Biology - A
Biochemistry 1 - B
Biochemistry 2 (non Pre req) - A
Immunology - A
Molecular Biology - A
Cancer Biology- A
Other upper level university courses:
Analytical Chemistry - A
Physical Chemistry 1 - A
Spectroscopy - A
Chemistry Capstone - A
Will be ending my degree with around 120-140 credits and a 3.0 at best.
Currently scoring 21s-22s on DAT BOOTCAMP, but honestly shooting for something impeccable like a 25+, and I am only taking 7 credit hours this semester so i can dedicate all the time i can allot. I have a few more months of non stop studying to try and achieve this.

EC Experience:
-Phi Sigma Kappa at first university
-founder/president Pre health club at comm college
-founder/president Pre dental club at current university
-prestigious dry lab summer research program at northwestern (a t10 school) studying racial and socieconomic disparities in healthcare
- (hopefully) strong LOR from 2 fairly distinguisehd upper lvl science prof., northwestern feinberg medicine research faculty, GP dentist
-Volunteer Hrs. (TBD)
-Shadowing Hrs. (TBD)
-peer leader for teaching the seminar section of P-Chem 1 (one of the hardest undergrad chem courses)

WORK experience:
  1. graduate assistant as an undergrad for the dean's office at our College of Education
  2. Certified Pharmacy Technician
  3. (Dental Sterilization) hopeful

I know this was ALOT to look through, but I am really just looking for your thoughts here on if you were hypothetically adcomms, what you would think about someone like me. Very non-traditional I know, which is why I need an opinion.
you have a shot to get in, finishing strong is a good indicator of your potential performance in dental school
you don't even need 25+, although 21-22 at least would improve your chances
the first hurdle is if your gpas are over 3.0, which is a cutoff for some schools

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you score a 20 or above and get cGPA and sGPA to a 3.0+, I don't see why you wouldn't get a few interviews from dental schools. Your story seems to be unique in a sense and I think emphasizing the experiences that led you to dentistry in your application (i.e. experiences section and personal statement) will be HUGE. If you can create an application that shows schools why dentistry and not the other fields you've mentioned/interacted with and you have the upward trend to go along with the experiences, I'd say you'd have a chance.

*Take what I say with a grain of salt as well as I am not in dental school and I am also a pre-dent.