not able to take human phys before mcat...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eagleye2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, here comes my semi-annual scheduling nightmare. I am a sophomore and next fall im planning on taking human physiology to help with the MCAT and obviously to further my major. However, it only has 5 seats left and is only offered in the fall which means if i dont get into it next semester i wont have time to take it before the MCAT. What sources are good to teach myself the physiology material needed for the MCAT. i took cell physiology do you think that is enough baseline information? Or is it completely different.

Members don't see this ad.

What is cell physiology?
Physiology is not a pre-req for the MCAT, don't worry about it too much. Just learn what's presented in your review books + Khan Academy videos.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I never took a human phys course. I just studied EK Bio, where I learned pretty much all of the phys needed, and I ended up with a 130 in B/B on the scored 1 FL and a 131 on the real thing. While taking a course would probably be helpful, it's definitely not necessary.

Reactions: 3 users
Don't worry about taking physiology. It is covered in as much depth as needed in most prep books.

Consider it this way: would you like to memorize all of the hormones involved in the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis for a class that will be graded or just a test that will be graded?

As others have said, test prep companies will cover this topic in enough detail, so do not worry about not having this course under your belt. Cardiovascular, musculoskeletal, endocrine, nervous, reproduction systems will all be fair game (may be more that I'm missing).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Coursera has a free physiology course taught by Duke professors that covers all systems that could show up on the MCAT in enough detail to be usable (I'm starting to sound like a marketer for Coursera and I'm not, just really love what this class is doing - and it's free; with real handouts, etc. You could look into something like that - class lasts 9 weeks but you can work/finish ahead.

Reactions: 1 user