Not Accepted Yet (NAY) thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rjmn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you're waiting on post-interview decisions or waitlists and don't have an acceptance in the bag, share your stories and commiserate.

We could even have a contest of how many interviews people have been on so far without an acceptance.

Members don't see this ad.

Sadly, I'm in this boat. Will hear from Duke next week, Hawaii sometime at the end of march and I haven't even had one of my interviews yet (u IL at the end of march)

I'm just preparing for what I'm going to do if I don't get in anywhere. Realistically, I think just applying again next cycle has it's pros and cons. I applied late and to a fairly top heavy list of schools so a smarter pick would probably yield something OR I could take a year and really beef up my application way more. I'd love some time off to relax (while continuing with my stuff) without classes but 2 years post graduation is more than I want...

OH the choices. :p hopefully Duke will take the chioce away from me and just accept me.

waitlisted at Cornell, UIC, VCU, and 1 more interview coming up at University of Toledo. My stats are weak: 3.5ish cumulative, 3.5ish sci, 36.
I applied hellecka early too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seven interviews and a whole lot of silence. Pretty ok stats, but like StephBee I applied late in the season to a pretty top-heavy list, which can't have helped my chances. A couple of my schools are mid-March returners though, so hopefully I'll hear something (...anything) soon!

I don't like this boat!

Good luck to everyone :)

--

Updated: out of the NAYs at last. Eight interviews, one acceptance, seven decisions pending. Good luck everybody -- I know everyone on this list is going to be a doctor, and an amazing one at that!!

Last edited:
Seven interviews and a whole lot of silence.

Twinsies! 7 interviews, 1 waitlist, 2 post-interview hold (one of which is almost certainly a future waitlist), 1 rejection, 3 still waiting.
I applied late in the season to a pretty top-heavy list, which can't have helped my chances. A couple of my schools are mid-March returners though

not twinsies...I applied very early and had virtually no reach schools. If I don't get in somewhere, I am officially one of the worst interviewees in premed history

Last edited:
Misery loves company.

In on this.

6 interviews - 3 WL - 2 Pending decision - 1 Rejection. 2 more upcoming. Applications became complete at the end of September when committee letter got finished.

yeee! On one waitlist and sitting on a couple DO schools that I have very low interest in. Here's to waiting for May 15

Make that 4 WL. I wonder how many of these things I can collect.

waitlisted at Cornell, UIC, VCU, and 1 more interview coming up at University of Toledo. My stats are weak: 3.5ish cumulative, 3.5ish sci, 36.
I applied hellecka early too.
Im pretty sure VCU does not have its waitlist out. If you not accepted yet you still considered right???

8 interviews, three waitlists and waiting on five. Stressed as fk!

I should add that I applied late. I also got most my interviews from reach schools so I don't have confidence in my chances at any one place.

Last edited:
5 interviews, 1 more on March 9th

1 UC list, 1 Waitlist, 1 likely Waitlist/Rejection, decisions on the other 2 expected in the next 1-3 weeks.

I love the waiting game NOT.

7 total interviews. 2 rejections and 5 waitlists

But I am not stressing. I am actually having a blast right now since I got accepted to Caribbean. In fact, I am going on a 2 month vacation. Cheers:highfive: Best of luck to everyone else. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't gotten any acceptances, either. Then again, I'm not applying for another couple of years so I guess that explains it...

But good luck to everyone that applied last cycle! May the wait-list gods make your March merry!

I haven't gotten any acceptances, either. Then again, I'm not applying for another couple of years so I guess that explains it...

But good luck to everyone that applied last cycle! May the wait-list gods make your March merry!

ha...ha? :confused:

Im pretty sure VCU does not have its waitlist out. If you not accepted yet you still considered right???

I interviewed there a couple months ago and someone on the school specific forum mentioned VCU is done interviewing by march, which means that the acceptance spots have already been filled. Considering I haven't heard anything, I assume that's a waitlist.

How/when did you hear this? They haven't released decisions yet except for a few acceptances in Dec...

I know they started handing out acceptances in November, and since I interviewed at Cornell only a couple weeks ago, I assumed I was interviewing for a waitlist spot. Plus, who offers a straight up acceptance (without putting them onto a waitlist first) to an interviewee this late in the season?

I interviewed there a couple months ago and someone on the school specific forum mentioned VCU is done interviewing by march, which means that the acceptance spots have already been filled. Considering I haven't heard anything, I assume that's a waitlist.
The last straight up acceptance is in march right?? i dont quite remember

I know they started handing out acceptances in November, and since I interviewed at Cornell only a couple weeks ago, I assumed I was interviewing for a waitlist spot. Plus, who offers a straight up acceptance (without putting them onto a waitlist first) to an interviewee this late in the season?

Schools that do non-rolling admissions? :confused:

Everyday I am in constant turmoil over the thought that I should have applied to more schools...but then I'd be even more broke.

Next/last interview next week. Also panicking that it's a pity interview.

As cole said, schools with non-rolling admissions (Cornell) don't "interview for the waitlist". Someone who interviews in Feb is given the same consideration as an October interviewee. With the exception of a (hopefully) very small number of acceptences in December, everyone will find out soon (again, hopefully very soon). Good luck.

2nd year applying.

3 interviews, 3 wait lists last year

2 interviews, 2 wait lists this year

I felt a lot more comfortable in my interviews this year though, so I am willing to bet I am closer to the top of those lists this year :xf:

7 total interviews. 2 rejections and 5 waitlists

But I am not stressing. I am actually having a blast right now since I got accepted to Caribbean. In fact, I am going on a 2 month vacation. Cheers:highfive: Best of luck to everyone else. :D

This has been covered before, but if you don't get in this cycle please do not go to the Caribbean. At this point the odds of getting a residency from those schools have gotten low enoght that it's not so much a backup plan as a scam.

I know applying twice sucks, having done it myself. However you can get through it and get into a school that actually turns more than half of their matriculants into practicing physicians. Apply early and broadly and add a bunch of DO schools to the list.

Anyway, hope one of the waitlists works out so its not an issue.

This has been covered before, but if you don't get in this cycle please do not go to the Caribbean. At this point the odds of getting a residency from those schools have gotten low enoght that it's not so much a backup plan as a scam.

I know applying twice sucks, having done it myself. However you can get through it and get into a school that actually turns more than half of their matriculants into practicing physicians. Apply early and broadly and add a bunch of DO schools to the list.

Anyway, hope one of the waitlists works out so its not an issue.

this. I'm really surprised that someone who is capable of getting 7 interviews (MD or DO) would feel the need to even hedge their bets with Caribbean. Don't invest 200K on an option where you have between a 40-75% chance of securing a US residency. Clearly it's an interview thing you need to greatly improve and your stats are perfectly fine for US schools.

The NAY group needs a mascot. I vote horse.

How depressed are WE?? :D

2 interviews, 2 waitlists here

What should I do with all the money I had saved for Interview Traveling/Other expenses? hmm

Waiting patiently from now until May 15th. Surely Med School Waitlists will deliver

goldenretrieverswingerp1.gif

How are you guys getting not even one acceptance with such high gpa's :shrug:

4 interviews, 1 waitlist/rejection (I find out Friday!) and 3 waiting for their last decision date :/

I've got a back up research position in line already just in case....but I'd much rather not have to resort to that!

been in a holding pattern after two interviews in october from two ostensibly nonrolling-ish schools. my healthy stack of 10 or so preinterview rejections means i'm already working on letters and essays for next year...

i get knocked down
but i get up again
you're never gonna keep me down

i used to loathe that song. now i kinda like it...

Last edited:
I'm with you all, unfortunately (no offense...:D). Interviewed at 6 schools. One waitlist, one rejection, two that will be either a waitlist or rejection, and now I'm left with two more who I have not heard from yet. Unfortunately, they are two schools that are completely out of my league and extremely difficult to get into, so the odds are strongly against me.

I applied to a lot of schools, but the list was very top-heavy, and I was bordering on late (definitely late at a few).

This has been such a grueling experience that it's hard to imagine going through it again, but I will. At this point, though, I don't know if I should reapply this next cycle, or sit one out. My app honestly would look basically the same, just with more hours in a couple things. What to do...what...to...do...

Last edited:
i sat on six waitlists at one point last year before getting accepted in the spring. it does end up panning out sometimes, but the waiting was worse than i could possibly have imagined beforehand.

good luck to all

Applied only to Ca schools cause I couldn't afford to travel oos as well as manage with school so I limited myself.

3 Interviews
UCLA: Hasn't given any word to anyone yet... really behind

Loma Linda: Christian School who favors christians... which I am; too bad on my secondary I accidentally marked some hippie religion. I am hoping this is the reason why I havn't heard anything yet (It is now fixed- we'll see if it helps)

UC Irvine: Interview on march 8th

i sat on six waitlists at one point last year before getting accepted in the spring. it does end up panning out sometimes, but the waiting was worse than i could possibly have imagined beforehand.

good luck to all

QFT

Every waitlist notification stings, but I haven't let it get to me just yet. I'm keeping myself sane by staying busy with school / work and a new weightlifting routine.

Update letters going out to the schools that accept them next week.

I'm with you all, unfortunately (no offense...:D). Interviewed at 6 schools. One waitlist, one rejection, two that will be either a waitlist or rejection, and now I'm left with two more who I have not heard from yet. Unfortunately, they are two schools that are completely out of my league and extremely difficult to get into, so the odds are strongly against me.

I applied to a lot of schools, but the list was very top-heavy, and I was bordering on late (definitely late at a few).

This has been such a grueling experience that it's hard to imagine going through it again, but I will. At this point, though, I don't know if I should reapply this next cycle, or sit one out. My app honestly would look basically the same, just with more hours in a couple things. What to do...what...to...do...

Whew, very similar to me. I feel like I could have written this.

I'm unfortunately in this boat too... 2 interviews, 2 wait lists. I applied to 17 schools, so this definitely stings.

2 waitlists, 3 decisions pending, 1 more interview this month. I wish I had applied to a few safety schools just for peace of mind.

Update a few hours later: 2 waitlists, 2 decisions pending, 1 rejection, 1 more interview this month.

Update a day later: 2 waitlists, 1 decision pending, 2 rejections, 1 more interview this month.

:(

Last edited:

Though I'm technically not a reapplicant (withdrew my app before it was verified), I definitely have the mentality of one and perhaps can offer my thoughts on waiting out a year.

My application is actually identical to the previous cycle except I submitted June 1st, as opposed to Sept 7th last year. My MCAT score was what caused me to withdraw my app last year. I have 11 interview invites and 3 acceptances so far (perhaps 1 or 2 more had I not turned down some of my interviews). My acceptances were also really early in the cycle (Oct-Nov ish) so I definitely think applying early makes a huge difference. Some other people who are actual reapplicants can testify to having similar experience.

I hated that I have to wait an extra year to apply and had wished my MCAT score was just 1-2 point higher to allow me to apply last cycle. I wish I did something profound in my year off to say I was glad to have an extra year, but most of it consist of waiting and being bored. The thought that I would be almost done with my first year right now, rather than waiting for medical school to start is not a fun feeling at all.

You said that you applied late... I'm sure if you submit things as soon as humanly possible (which you can because you have everything done), it will make a HUGE difference. Unless there is something you would really like to do with an extra year off, I wouldn't put it off.

-

Last edited:
I had 2 interviews so far.

SUNY Buffalo waitlisted me in November, and I just interviewed at New York Medical College, which takes 8-10 weeks for a decision.

That's pretty much it. No acceptances at the moment.

Since I'm from Buffalo, I'm really hoping the UB waitlist works out. I'm in the top third, so that's pretty good.

I'm not giving up hope yet.

4 interviews

1 rejection
1 wait list
2 waiting for decision

2 waitlists, 3 decisions pending, 1 more interview this month. I wish I had applied to a few safety schools just for peace of mind.

Update a few hours later: 2 waitlists, 2 decisions pending, 1 rejection, 1 more interview this month.

Update a day later: 2 waitlists, 1 decision pending, 2 rejections, 1 more interview this month.

Good luck! My fingers are crossed for you that those waitlists move!

Just some info for anyone who has to reapply. I applied last year.. got 3 interviews and 3 WLs. I applied VERY late (nov/dec) with a 29 MCAT.. didn't get pulled off the waitlist. Applied the first week of June this year, had 5 interviews.. with 2 acceptances by October, 1 rejection, 1 WL, and 1 interview I withdrew from. All I did was start some new volunteering experiences in May and June and included them on AMCAS and rewrote my PS. I didn't retake the MCAT because it would have made my application late. SO if you applied late and got WLed.. apply ASAP and throw some new activities or more hours on and you will probably have a more successful cycle. btw i'm not URM so don't get make that excuse.

Hey, thanks to everyone who has offered advice.

Updating my status:

2 Rejections
2 Waitlists
1 Unknown, but not accepted (either waitlist or rejection)
1 Still waiting (almost certainly a waitlist or rejection)

Plus a slew of pre-interview rejections (which were not unexpected at this time). Rough couple of weeks, and I was pretty down for a few days after the rejections and the reality really setting in of having to reapply. Now, just trying to look at the positives...being able to apply earlier (and with a lot less writing), feeling like I'll be going into it knowing this process and what's important inside and out, and having a year break from school to do something interesting/fun (hopefully).

Good luck to everyone:luck::luck::luck::xf::xf::xf:

Last edited:
Picked up another waitlist today. I've had some great conversations with most of my interviewers, and I see people with multiple acceptances get rejected post-interview at some places I'm waitlisted. It's difficult for me to understand what I'm doing wrong at this point. All I can do is more interview prep, write updates, and hope for the best though. :xf:

I feel like there is no such thing as a safety med school.