Not Accepted Yet (NAY) thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Talk about a title I never wanted to compete for :D

Members don't see this ad.

9 interviews
7 waitlists
2 decisions pending...but I mean, come on...

So can anyone here actually offer some reassurance? LOL

Im still stuck on six, waiting on that sevennth, so my best bet is a tie for the crown. The average ranking for my schools is 15.6--might that be a useful tiebreaking stat?

Members don't see this ad :)
patient_bear.gif

I'm still sitting on 5 myself and waiting to hear from 3 schools, but you never know, I could get lucky and score 8 waitlists and the title! :xf:

Seriously though, I think we need to turn this thread into a support group. How are you guys dealing with the waiting?

Seriously though, I think we need to turn this thread into a support group. How are you guys dealing with the waiting?

I'm sort of just self-destructing. Thinking about mcat retakes, where I will live next year and how I'll find a job, wondering how much better I could have used my time off if I knew it was going to be two yrs instead of one (better job, coulda established residency in a different state), lamenting the thousands of dollars I've spent this year, etc

I'm sort of just self-destructing. Thinking about mcat retakes, where I will live next year and how I'll find a job, wondering how much better I could have used my time off if I knew it was going to be two yrs instead of one (better job, coulda established residency in a different state), lamenting the thousands of dollars I've spent this year, etc

Wermz, you pretty much hit the spot. I don't think I can reapply this June while on a good amount of waitlists. Plus what new significant things/experiences can I bring to the table?

I have also decided that if I don't get in this cycle I will wait until June 2012 to re-apply. But man, I really don't want to wait that long. My life feels like it's on hold right now and I hate it.

I keep trying to reassure myself that I'm a great waitlist-level candidate, so hopefully it works out!

My life feels like it's on hold right now and I hate it.

I keep trying to reassure myself that I'm a great waitlist-level candidate, so hopefully it works out!

Amen to this. I can't get these thoughts out of my mind, and in general the entire year has been full of similar worry. I think about the people who got an acceptance in October and I'm like FUUUU

Btw, six waitlists here.

Guys, don't take this the wrong way but discovering this thread has given me a modicum of happiness. I don't mean that your misery is my happiness, because I too am stuck on ONE friggin wait list with 2 rejections. I am taking my wait list as a rejection and moving on with life (I figure that I have been tormented by the process for too long and see no reason why I should keep myself vulnerable).

Like many of you, I'm juggling with the idea of reapplying right away - but a voice inside me tells me that that may not be the best idea.

I'm sure all of us are jaded at this point and believe me, I don't think any of us finds comfort with the common phrase "well at least you're not the only one who is in this situation"... STFU!!!

Anyway, I would like to hear some ways that people are coping with this situation *besides b****ing*, for starters I am an avid golfer and so have been going to play golf often (great sport to pick up btw).

Good luck to all of you and hopefully the dreaded wait list will materialize into something.

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys, don't take this the wrong way but discovering this thread has given me a modicum of happiness.

This thread is kind of refreshing in showing us that not everyone is going "OMG have to pick Hopkins vs Harvard vs UCSF vs Vandy fml this is worst position evar!!!11!!!!one!1"

As for coping... I'm formulating my epic reapplication strategy plus I listen to heavy metal which calms me down (or pumps me up during workouts... it's really versatile stuff) :)

I have also decided that if I don't get in this cycle I will wait until June 2012 to re-apply. But man, I really don't want to wait that long. My life feels like it's on hold right now and I hate it.

these two posts hit the nail on the head with how i feel

I know how all of you feel. I graduated college in 2009 and I have 1 waitlist and 1 decision pending.

But we cannot think of our life as ON HOLD! That will just make the waiting miserable! We have to enjoy our life in the moment. That is the only way to be happy.

If I don't get in this year I am going to do a 1 year MAMS program and make sure I ENJOY it for the experience that it is and try not to lament so much about not being where I initially wanted to be. After the program I'll have yet another application year, but I am determined to find a way to enjoy it and do something cool. Yeah, it's possible that I could be starting school the same year I could've graduated...but so what? As long as I am happy and productive in those years and I did eventually get where I wanted and did not settle for something else or change paths then I am fine. Just try not to feel like you life is 'wasted.' Seriously. Good luck, all. :thumbup:

I know how all of you feel. I graduated college in 2009 and I have 1 waitlist and 1 decision pending.

But we cannot think of our life as ON HOLD! That will just make the waiting miserable! We have to enjoy our life in the moment. That is the only way to be happy.

If I don't get in this year I am going to do a 1 year MAMS program and make sure I ENJOY it for the experience that it is and try not to lament so much about not being where I initially wanted to be. After the program I'll have yet another application year, but I am determined to find a way to enjoy it and do something cool. Yeah, it's possible that I could be starting school the same year I could've graduated...but so what? As long as I am happy and productive in those years and I did eventually get where I wanted and did not settle for something else or change paths then I am fine. Just try not to feel like you life is 'wasted.' Seriously. Good luck, all. :thumbup:

i seriously admire your optimism

I just wanted to tell you guys... no matter what happens.... life will go on, you will be okay, and don't give up!!!

I applied really late in 09 with a subpar MCAT score (29P). Got 3 interiews and 3 Waitlists (found my WL status in March/April/May.. so didn't have alot of time to improve my app). Started some new shadowing in April and new ECs in May and June. During this time, I wrote tons of letters of interests to all the schools and letters of intent to my top choice. THEN had the cruelty of getting a background check e-mail at the end of June.. got excited thinking I was accepted.. found out it was my top choice school of my 3 interviews just "preparing for a late season acceptance".. was anxious until July.. and didn't get off the WL.

However, during this time, I filled out all my secondaries in July/August and by October had 5 interview invites. By the end of Oct, I had 2 acceptances at schools that WLed me the previous year. I got 1 rejection, 1 WL, and withdrew from my 5th interview. So DO NOT give up.. even after my crushing experience last year, I applied ASAP this year.. and got in without making crazy changes to my app. I did rewrite my PS and my ECs but did not retake the MCAT. My stats were cGPA 3.8, sGPA 3.73. I'm a non-trad but not URM. Also, if you have to reapply.. if some classes you thought should be BCMP this year were denied last year.. changing them to BCMP again.. I know I got a bunch of classes pushed through at BCMP the second time that raised my sGPA from 3.65 to 3.73.

Hope this helps and gives anyone who is discouraged a light of hope even if they don't get off the WL.

:luck::luck::luck::xf::xf::xf: to all of you

april 1. 45 days till our files will be opened!

Last edited:
Got my 7th waitlist today!

Most likely 2 waitlists...may hear in June, if anything.

Advice to future non-stellar applicants: do not expect to be accepted by Oct. 15th. Be prepared to wait until late Spring. All you need is one.

Most likely 2 waitlists...may hear in June, if anything.

Advice to future non-stellar applicants: do not expect to be accepted by Oct. 15th. Be prepared to wait until late Spring. All you need is one.

:thumbup: For all the reasons that it sucks to be waitlisted, I think one possible advantage of getting in late off one waitlist is that we'll know how valuable an acceptance really is, and won't take it for granted. We'll go in ready to work hard and have good perspective, and won't have the burden of thinking "what if i went to X school" or "what if I got into this slightly better school" that people with 5 acceptances might have (lol not to say I don't envy them)

:thumbup: For all the reasons that it sucks to be waitlisted, I think one possible advantage of getting in late off one waitlist is that we'll know how valuable an acceptance really is, and won't take it for granted. We'll go in ready to work hard and have good perspective, and won't have the burden of thinking "what if i went to X school" or "what if I got into this slightly better school" that people with 5 acceptances might have (lol not to say I don't envy them)

That's an interesting point. I know that when/if I get in I am going to be ready to rock. I know it'll be a monumentous accomplishment and I'll be ready to prove even more that I deserve to be there. Not one speck of entitlement here. :)

^^^^^ definitely

I got off the waitlist to my top choice for undergrad, and I went in there super motivated and pretty much destroyed everything in my path. I'm pretty confident that if/when I get into med school it'll be a similar story. I'll become a machine.

Whoa, I never thought of it that way. Are you just "that type of person," or did you do something? :D

that's an interesting point. I know that when/if i get in i am going to be ready to rock. I know it'll be a monumentous accomplishment and i'll be ready to prove even more that i deserve to be there. Not one speck of entitlement here. :)

+1

The waitlist lords have finally shown me mercy after accumulating 6 waitlists. I got plucked off a waitlist sooner than I expected! :zip::zip::zip:

Best of luck waitlist crew. May 15th will be here soon!

The waitlist lords have finally shown me mercy after accumulating 6 waitlists. I got plucked off a waitlist sooner than I expected! :zip::zip::zip:

Congrats man! As I dust off my MCAT books...

4 interviews, 4 waitlists. 100% wailtlist result after interview. 100% feeling of disappointment upon notification.

4 interviews, 4 waitlists. 100% wailtlist result after interview. 100% feeling of disappointment upon notification.

7/7 here, also 100%. I feel thoroughly beaten.

Nice job man! Pitt is a top school, and you deserve it. :)

Keep your chin up, boys and girls!

5 interviews, three waitlists, one decision pending. Hitting the gym 4x a week helps.

5 Interviews, 4 Waitlists and 1 Pending

I have to echo this self-destruction sentiment. I was trying to explain to people how horrible the application process can be and how much of a negative psychological impact it can have, but unless you're going through it, it's not a feeling other people can understand.

For a while, working out was enough to mitigate a lot of it, but as the waitlists have piled up, so has a lot of risky behavior that is really out of the norm for me. Drugs, random hookups, actively trying to black out when I go out, you name it.

I almost got arrested on really serious charges recently, which I think alerted a lot of people to how bad its been, and since then others have been more supportive and understanding, and I hope I've turned a corner. I really don't think I can go through this again though.

And so I figured I should join this semi-support thread :thumbup:. Best of luck to everyone. When we do get accepted, we are all going to be at the top of the class at our respective schools.

^^^^ word. I've definitely upped my substance abuse w regards to alcohol, cigarettes, and some harder drugs. I picked up smoking this year to deal with stress (bad idea) and now im up to a pack every 2-3 days. I've had other SIGNIFICANT stressors in my life this past year in addition to med school failure, so its been rough. This thread is becoming pathetic lol.

Keep your chin up, boys and girls!

5 interviews, three waitlists, one decision pending. Hitting the gym 4x a week helps.

Haha, I've been going to the gym 7 times a week. But I know that I am on waitlists with a lot of movement. I am sure I will get accepted, as will the majority of you guys. There is no way you can not get accepted off of 1 out of 7 waitlists. And that is all you really need. It is just gonna take a little longer; I've always been a patient individual (no pun intended).

It wouldn't bother me as much if I didn't know a complete *****, far less qualified on literally every quantifiable level, who got in with one interview while I've spent every cent I have flying around the country to get rejected/waitlisted. The application process is NOT a meritocracy. That's for sure. It really makes me sick.

3 interviews so far, 2 waitlists, 1 rejection (just found out today). I'm not feeling very confident right now, but I need to regroup because I'm interviewing at the school of my dreams next week.

It wouldn't bother me as much if I didn't know a complete *****, far less qualified on literally every quantifiable level, who got in with one interview while I've spent every cent I have flying around the country to get rejected/waitlisted. The application process is NOT a meritocracy. That's for sure. It really makes me sick.

I know the feeling. The one I know got in on his first cycle, and I'm about to possibly have to do my third. The luck component to this is extremely underrated, imo.

I got over beating myself up about it though. There is little, if anything we can really affect post-interview. I'm just channeling all the frustration into having an even better cycle next time, and am already writing secondaries to make my summer months easier. I do remember reading one thread here where the poster got zero acceptances two cycles in a row, then got into UMich and Hopkins (plus others I think) on his third. If I don't come off of a wait list this year, I could live with something even close to that. :laugh:

5 Interviews, 4 Waitlists and 1 Pending

I have to echo this self-destruction sentiment. I was trying to explain to people how horrible the application process can be and how much of a negative psychological impact it can have, but unless you're going through it, it's not a feeling other people can understand.

For a while, working out was enough to mitigate a lot of it, but as the waitlists have piled up, so has a lot of risky behavior that is really out of the norm for me. Drugs, random hookups, actively trying to black out when I go out, you name it.

I almost got arrested on really serious charges recently, which I think alerted a lot of people to how bad its been, and since then others have been more supportive and understanding, and I hope I've turned a corner. I really don't think I can go through this again though.

And so I figured I should join this semi-support thread :thumbup:. Best of luck to everyone. When we do get accepted, we are all going to be at the top of the class at our respective schools.

I agree with the feelings of discouragement causing self-destructive behavior--because it makes you feel like you just don't care anymore and want to give up on everything. But you're gonna feel stupid if you have to live with herpes for the rest of your life just because it took you 2 tries to get into med school instead of 1. When I felt discouraged, I increased my clinical volunteering, because that always encourages me and reminds me why I am putting myself through all this

I feel for all you folks. Reading this thread is catharsis because only people who are going through this understand what it is like.

I agree with the feelings of discouragement causing self-destructive behavior--because it makes you feel like you just don't care anymore and want to give up on everything. But you're gonna feel stupid if you have to live with herpes for the rest of your life just because it took you 2 tries to get into med school instead of 1. When I felt discouraged, I increased my clinical volunteering, because that always encourages me and reminds me why I am putting myself through all this

LOL. The random hookups was the least of my concerns when I read the post, protection may be used? The use of hard drugs was what concerned me...

On 2 waitlists. Anxiously waiting May 15th...

same here broski.

also, a huge congrats to epicbearman on his acceptance!!

p.s. this is my favorite thread on sdn right now. it shows that i am not alone, and i have people who share my EXACT feelings.

On 2 waitlists. Anxiously waiting May 15th...

Same here but can you imagine how much more neurotic we will all be after that day? I mean, I think I check my email a lot now...

Definitely congrats, EpicBearMan. Hopefully we'll see more and more of us in EBM's shoes!