NOt all schools have interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

informatique

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've recently been thinking about applying to vet school. I initially was swaying more towards dentistry, but I guess a lot of practical issues lead me to lean towards dent(money, hours, etc.) But my real passion is animal biology and dealing with animals.

I can probably take the GRE's this summer and I'm not sure if vet experience over one summer period is enough....I will also be graduating this May with a biology degree.

I also noticed that some people got accepted w/o an interview on the accepted students profile thread. Do not all schools conduct interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! first... experience is a must I would start now trying to get some kind of experience and to find as varied types as possibe? Have you done research? Many schools do not require/have an interview. You can look on http://www.aavmc.org/vmcas/vmcas.htm for each of the school's specific requirements. Off the top of my head Cornell and Wisconsin do not require interviews, and colorado only requires them for in-state. I am sure there is more, but this website should answer a lot of your questions!

Good Luck!!!

some don't do them at all (wisconsin)

some just don't do OOSers

Members don't see this ad :)
NCSU does not interview anyone-IS or OOS. Keep in mind this could help or hurt you depending on how well you interview and how good your paper app looks.

LSU doesn't require them. either does Edinburgh Scotland...

UGA and Cornell don't interview regular applicants. (DVM/Ph.D applicants probably get interviewed.) I liked not having to interview.

But my real passion is animal biology and dealing with animals.

I can probably take the GRE's this summer and I'm not sure if vet experience over one summer period is enough....I will also be graduating this May with a biology degree.

I was a late decider and had pretty much 2.5 summers to get my experience in. I had to really amp it up. I wanted to show the adcoms I was serious about vet med so I tried to get all the experience possible. I was working with animals 6-7 days a week. Full time at a clinic and different shelters over the weekend. I worked holidays and every break I got.

From the success thread, you can see that there is a wide variety of experience hours accepted. Anywhere from a scant 100ish to well over thousands. Generally the more the better - research or clinical, etc.

Since it sounds like you're still on the fence for going vet-med, I suggest taking the next year to get vet experience. It will help you decide if that is what you want to do. If it is, you will have racked up a year of experience which will be great for your app. If it's not, you will have saved yourself a whole lot of grief for jumping into the wrong profession.

Beginning with the '08-'09 application cycle, the LSU SVM will begin inviting a select number of out of state applicants to interview at the School. Also, not all Louisiana and Arkansas (contract state) residents will be invited for interviews.

Please visit the LSU SVM Admissions web site at www.vetmed.lsu.edu/admissions for more changes that will be implemented in the '08-'09 application cycle.