Not enough clinical hours...worried....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zumab

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been working in a research lab for the past two years, have good grades, did some public health related internships over the years, was involved in several research opportunities... but... I neglected to get involved in clinical activities (compared to other things). I barely have 100 hrs doing hospital volunteering (been there since March), some hours shadowing.
I also volunteered in a hospital during high school but I know that doesn't count. I'm planning on getting more involved with the hospital/clinical volunteering do hopefully I'll have at least 200 by the time I apply but I'm wondering if that would still stick out like a sore thumb :/ (and/or make me non competitive for mid-top tier schools)
My application is more research heavy but after some consideration I decided against MDPhD programs.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If it makes you feel better, I had about 50 hours when I applied (and no other clinical/volunteer experience other than shadowing), and I've been accepted this cycle already

I have been working in a research lab for the past two years, have good grades, did some public health related internships over the years, was involved in several research opportunities... but... I neglected to get involved in clinical activities (compared to other things). I barely have 100 hrs doing hospital volunteering (been there since March), some hours shadowing.
I also volunteered in a hospital during high school but I know that doesn't count. I'm planning on getting more involved with the hospital/clinical volunteering do hopefully I'll have at least 200 by the time I apply but I'm wondering if that would still stick out like a sore thumb :/ (and/or make me non competitive for mid-top tier schools)
My application is more research heavy but after some consideration I decided against MDPhD programs.
Listing 200 hours over 15 months should be fine. I suggest you aim for at least 50 shadowing hours, in addition, ideally including a primary-care, office-based doc. You can mention the HS clinical experience in your Personal Statement, as part of your journey to medicine.

I had 30 hrs of clinical experience, all shadowing and had a successful cycle last year (4 interviews, 3 acceptances).

I like you had a good amount of research experience as well as community volunteering. The key is being able to talk about those hours meaningfully and how they cemented your decision to want to be a doctor.