Not finishing graduate degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

5htonin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Just curious whether or not I have to complete a grad program for most MD programs. I'm in an MBA program, but hate it. I'm also taking post-bacc/premed courses. I've noticed that some MD programs explicitly state that if you are currently in a graduate program, you must complete it prior to matriculation. However, due to the additional expense and the fact that I hate it, I really would like to withdraw from the MBA program (still have about 24 semester hours to go). Will this destroy my chances of getting into an MD program?

Members don't see this ad.

if you're applying this coming summer and you drop before that, i wouldn't think the text you're talking about would apply really. that kinda text i thought applied to those who apply while they're in a program. if you apply and sell yourself as a person in a master program who plans to complete your MBA, THEN i think you'd have to clear with the individual schools that accepted you if you chose not to complete the degree. my thinking, anyway. i'm sure you'd still want to have an artful explanation of quitting and fill that time with application goodness in its place, but i wouldn't see quitting THEN applying as being a disqualification.

Hi all. Just curious whether or not I have to complete a grad program for most MD programs. I'm in an MBA program, but hate it. I'm also taking post-bacc/premed courses. I've noticed that some MD programs explicitly state that if you are currently in a graduate program, you must complete it prior to matriculation. However, due to the additional expense and the fact that I hate it, I really would like to withdraw from the MBA program (still have about 24 semester hours to go). Will this destroy my chances of getting into an MD program?

I really doubt it. People understand a change of heart. You're switching from business to something totally different. Just be able to articulate your reason for switching.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I think it will depend on the school and circumstances and timing. I know at one school I went to the reason they instituted it was because they were getting a lot of master's students who would finish their first year, get their A's in grad classes and research experience with no intention of finishing if they got accepted to medical school. So an agreement was made between the med school and grad program that you had to finish. Can't really blame them.

I'm sure if there are other factors and there's a time gap in there, you can get around it in some cases. Check with the individual schools first, you might have to wait another year or something.

Thanks for your insights. It seems as if you are all coming from the perspective of misrepresentation. This seems easy enough to avoid if I withdraw from the program and explain it in my letter of interest.