Not honoring a IM clerkship..?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turica

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

So I've seen multiple posts regarding this but I still wasn't too sure. I got a 250 on step 1 and am now doing my first rotation which is IM, which is also the residence I'm interested in.

There are 2 class tests that I need to get 90+ in order to honor the clerkship. That being said, I did not get 90+ because I slacked like an idiot and got too happy with my step score and now I'm just utterly regretting it so badly.

I can still get an honor grade in my shelf exam but that wouldn't let me honor the clerkship. So even if I honor the shelf, I would still only "pass" my clerkship.

That being said, there is only pass vs honors in my school (no high pass - Michigan State universtiy CHM).

Do you think this would really pose a weighty disadvantage in the future? I know its the first rotation and hopefully there is some leeway with that.

Any opinions please..?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, it will make a difference. As in if you honored it, you would be better off. No one can quantitate how much of a disadvantage this puts you: depends on field you are going to and the types of programs you are targeting.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes, it will make a difference. As in if you honored it, you would be better off. No one can quantitate how much of a disadvantage this puts you: depends on field you are going to and the types of programs you are targeting.
This is a pretty straightforward 3 disadvantage points. You can mitigate 1 to 2 of these disadvantage points by a combination of scoring well on the shelf and pulling up your average (programs can see your clerkship ranking afaik) and honoring your IM subI.

*Edited for clarification

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow I'm surprised this would be a large disadvantage, even with such a high step score?!

Reactions: 1 user
Clinical grades are so variable from school to school that I doubt it'll matter. Just do a Sub-I later and crush it and you'll be fiiiiine.

Reactions: 4 users
This is a pretty straightforward 3 disadvantage points. You can mitigate 1 to 2 of these disadvantage points by a combination of honoring the shelf (programs can see your clerkship ranking afaik) and honoring your IM subI.

Schools can not see what grade you got on your shelf.

I suppose a good one could find its way into course comments and then mspe to help out with the low grade though

Referring to overall ranking in the clerkship. My school is also P/HP/H for clerkship, but the numerical ranking is also made available

Sent from my trltetmo using Tapatalk

So if you're interested in a surgical subspecialty and don't honor surgery, are you toast?

This is a pretty straightforward 3 disadvantage points. You can mitigate 1 to 2 of these disadvantage points by a combination of honoring the shelf (programs can see your clerkship ranking afaik) and honoring your IM subI.

So they can see your shelf grades plus your combined third year grades?

Clinical grades are so variable from school to school that I doubt it'll matter. Just do a Sub-I later and crush it and you'll be fiiiiine.

How do you go about crushing a Sub-I other than the normal show up early, leave late, thorough presentation, that you would do for every rotation?

So if you're interested in a surgical subspecialty and don't honor surgery, are you toast?

Maybe. But probably not. You might need that honors to match at a top tier program, but many applicants to surgical subspecialties are not perfect.

Most schools do not send over your shelf grade.

How do you go about crushing a Sub-I other than the normal show up early, leave late, thorough presentation, that you would do for every rotation?

That's it.

1) no, as was mentioned above it may keep you from "top tier" programs. If your other clerkship grades are good, you're AOA, and have a high step I it's probably not a big deal as long as your evaluations were glowing and it was purely due to a test score. I had friends that matched ortho at decent places without an A/honors in surgery.

2) our dean's letter (or whatever it is called) listed your shelf score if it was a positive attribute as well as comments/grade. I don't think it's a requirement though, so YMMV

3) Whether medicine or surgery sub-I: get there early. Stay late. If someone asks if you want to pick up a patient/stay for a case/do whatever always say yes. Go home and read about the things you did that day/will do the next day. Of equal importance also make sure to maintain personal hygiene and be personable.

Reactions: 1 user
1) no, as was mentioned above it may keep you from "top tier" programs. If your other clerkship grades are good, you're AOA, and have a high step I it's probably not a big deal as long as your evaluations were glowing and it was purely due to a test score. I had friends that matched ortho at decent places without an A/honors in surgery.

2) our dean's letter (or whatever it is called) listed your shelf score if it was a positive attribute as well as comments/grade. I don't think it's a requirement though, so YMMV

3) Whether medicine or surgery sub-I: get there early. Stay late. If someone asks if you want to pick up a patient/stay for a case/do whatever always say yes. Go home and read about the things you did that day/will do the next day. Of equal importance also make sure to maintain personal hygiene and be personable.

Lol @ the don't smell bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk