not listed as author on published conference abstract, but was second-author on poster presentation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rabbitcar

Reaction score
I worked unpaid on a project for a researcher that came back from maternity leave. I was asked to pick up the work and in return, she would give me authorship. I never heard back, but the abstract was submitted without my name and accepted for a conference. She then presented the poster at the conference with my name as second-author.

The abstracts of posters at this conference were published digitally. My name is nowhere to be found there. If you were to search up this abstract, you would not see my name either. It's only on this offline poster pdf that she has. She suggested that I list this on my application anyway, but I feel like it'll raise so many red flags if you were to look it up.

Is there an issue here?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I worked unpaid on a project for a researcher that came back from maternity leave. I was asked to pick up the work and in return, she would give me authorship. I never heard back, but the abstract was submitted without my name and accepted for a conference. She then presented the poster at the conference with my name as second-author.

The abstracts of posters at this conference were published digitally. My name is nowhere to be found there. If you were to search up this abstract, you would not see my name either. It's only on this offline poster pdf that she has. She suggested that I list this on my application anyway, but I feel like it'll raise so many red flags if you were to look it up.

Is there an issue here?
Would she send you a copy of the poster PDF with your name as 2nd author? Did/Can she mention the poster in an LOR about you? Was the conference regional or national (or on campus)?

Would she send you a copy of the poster PDF with your name as 2nd author? Did/Can she mention the poster in an LOR about you? Was the conference regional or national (or on campus)?
Yes she just sent me the poster PDF. I didn't work with her directly since she was very busy with the baby, so I don't think I would ask her for a LOR. The conference was national.

Is it wishful thinking to hope that admissions just won't look it up on the internet or could verify it directly with me, so I can show the poster PDF?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes she just sent me the poster PDF. I didn't work with her directly since she was very busy with the baby, so I don't think I would ask her for a LOR. The conference was national.

Is it wishful thinking to hope that admissions just won't look it up on the internet or could verify it directly with me, so I can show the poster PDF?
If you list the PI as the Contact, verification would likely proceed through her, first.

Do you have space to add in your description, “Poster PDF available on request” perhaps?

I probably will! Great idea. Thank you so much for your help.