Not mentioning a hobby in my activities section?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

halmoni

*neuroticism intensifies*
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
In my PS, I talk about a hobby (editing and translating comics for fun, wasn't employed by any means) but I'm not sure if I should mention it on my list of activities or not. Would it come across as fishy if I don't mention every activity I've done, especially if it's referenced in my PS? My main concern is that the only person I could think of as a possible contact has long since passed away.

Members don't see this ad.

If it's in your PS, yes.

Just list yourself as the contact. It's a hobby so you don't need a professional contact.

If it's in your PS, yes.

Just list yourself as the contact. It's a hobby so you don't need a professional contact.

Even if I held a small fundrasier related to my hobby to donate the funds to charity? I have receipts and everything, I just don't want to seem like I'm making stuff up since I did most of these activities solo.

Members don't see this ad :)
Even if I held a small fundrasier related to my hobby to donate the funds to charity? I have receipts and everything, I just don't want to seem like I'm making stuff up since I did most of these activities solo.
What would be more weird to you: an applicant who talks about hobbies they have and then doesn't have them anywhere else or an applicant who talks about a hobby and lists that hobby on their application?

You're going to be fine either way. There are plenty of hobbies people have which can't be verified by others. Adcoms would only think you're making it up if they ask you about it and, suddenly, you aren't able to talk about it very well. If you included it in your PS, I'm sure you're able to talk it about it since it sounds like you enjoy it.

Do you need the space in your work/activities section?

What would be more weird to you: an applicant who talks about hobbies they have and then doesn't have them anywhere else or an applicant who talks about a hobby and lists that hobby on their application?

You're going to be fine either way. There are plenty of hobbies people have which can't be verified by others. Adcoms would only think you're making it up if they ask you about it and, suddenly, you aren't able to talk about it very well. If you included it in your PS, I'm sure you're able to talk it about it since it sounds like you enjoy it.

Do you need the space in your work/activities section?

I was asking if I still should list myself as a reference if I did something like a fundraiser, not if I should completely ignore listing the hobby itself. I definitely have room to fit more activities on my list.

I was asking if I still should list myself as a reference if I did something like a fundraiser, not if I should completely ignore listing the hobby itself. I definitely have room to fit more activities on my list.
Being your own contact in that situation should still be fine.

Reactions: 1 user